It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Zoloft to paxil! Help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-20-2009, 12:17 PM   #1
    Magustuff
    Inactive
    (female)

Magustuff HB User
    Zoloft to paxil! Help!

I have switched meds before, but I don't remember the side effects.

I am taking 200mgs of Zoloft (100am 100pm), and have been doing so for about 4 years. Prior to that I was on 100mg of the Zoloft for about 1 year, and prior to that I had about a two year break with no meds.

PRIOR to that, I was on Effexor (highest dose - don't remember mgs) and I tapered myself off of that over a period of a couple months. I remember the hell of all of those brain zaps, which I experienced LONG after I was totally off of that stuff.

Because of the outrageous cost of the Zoloft, even in the generic, I am switching to Paxil.
    We are going with 100mgs Zoloft am and 20mgs Paxil pm, for one week, the to 20mg Paxil am and 20mgs Paxil pm.
    I am not sure this time frame is long enough. I have been on the Paxil pm for two nights, and right now I feel - weird. I am a little scared - also I am now concerned that the Paxil has more of a tendency for weight gain? More than Zoloft? I do NOT need this crap in my life right now - I don't want to be on any of these meds, and I HATE the fact that I have to take them at all - but whatever -
    any advice? My doc says she has switched many of her patients from the Zoloft to the Paxil and v/versa - she said I will feel 'odd' for a bit but it will be no biggy. Just being on the Zoloft I have these weird - brain zappy thingys and trailing, and you all know what I am talking about - ick.
    Any stories or advice on this switch? Any reason I should stick to the Zoloft and avoid the Paxil? I am taking it for Panic disorder - not depression.
    Thanks!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2009, 05:46 PM   #2
    friendsville
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

friendsville HB User
    Re: Zoloft to paxil! Help!

I am taking Paxil (Controlled Release Only) 25mg daily.My close relative takes
    37.5 mg Paxil, (also CR), and she weighs 100 piounds LESS than me.Meaning I should prob.be on a higher dose,but am not as brave.Regular Paxil did nothing for me.I trust Paxil 100 %. Luck... Bill

Old 04-20-2009, 06:12 PM   #3
    catheryn
    Veteran
    (female)

catheryn HB User

I'll get the bad news out of the way: paxil is the worst for weight gain out of all the SSRIs, and it's probably the worst to get off of....and since its half life is very short, if you miss a dose or two you'll likely get a wicked migraine (and sea sickness symptoms).

All that aside, paxil was my saviour. It was the only SSRI I've tried thus far that actually completely and totally got rid of my anxiety. It worked so well I'd actually sit and think to myself "I should be anxious right now....but I'm not." I'm on lexapro right now and it's AWFUL. I went off the paxil because it was making me tired. Well the lexapro is making me tired ten fold, so I'm STRONGLY considering going back on the paxil. It was extremely effective for me, and I have a few close friends who swear by paxil. It's a great drug, but does have some side effect; but all SSRIs do!

Oh and I was on 40mgs once a day. I had some slight sexual side effects, but nothing like lexapro. I have to say, now that I've experienced the side effects of other SSRIs I have a whole new appreciation for paxil...give it a shot. It's a very effective drug for anxiety.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:29 AM   #4
    Foxxii
    (female)

Foxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB User

I switched from Paxil to Zoloft because the Paxil made me gain 50 pounds If you don't mind any weight gain, then I'd say go for it. But then again, all meds work differently for people. You may not gain any weight at all. Paxil did work well for me for panic disorder, but the weight gain was too much for me to take.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:50 AM   #5
    Magustuff
    Inactive
    (female)

Magustuff HB User

Ok, how does a medication MAKE you gain weight? I have always been curious about this.
    Steroids, sure - that makes sense to me chemically.
    When you started taking the Paxil, was your calorie intake to fat burning ratio consistent though out the Paxil usage?
    I think if you were eating and exercising the same way you were pre paxil and during Paxil, and you gained weight, I would be very alarmed, but did you gain weight because you found yourself losing control around certain foods and just eating? I understand the loss of willpower when there is a cheesecake sitting in front of me, is that what the issue was with the weight gain?
    I have been on only the Paxil now for 5 days now and my appetite is almost non existent. (I am sooooo stressed - that could have something to do with it) I know a lot of people on Zoloft/Effexor/Paxil, and it seems they are heavy, but they have always been heavy.
    I can feel a difference with the brain fog, I feel like I need glasses more than I ever have, and I am noticing, to my dismay, that I am having some spelling and grammatical issues. I find myself missspeeeeling words that I would not have before! AUGH!

Last edited by ms_mod; 05-04-2009 at 12:47 PM.

Closed Thread