It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Can anxiety cause severe stomach problems?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-01-2009, 09:36 AM   #1
    kevinla
    Veteran
    (male)

kevinla HB Userkevinla HB User
    Can anxiety cause severe stomach problems?

I have been having bloating, constipation, getting full easy, loss appetite, and severe fatigue and he is just about 100% certain based on what I have been telling him, that stress is causing these symtoms.

I have severe anxiety and other psycological issues.

Everywhere I read on the internet, my symptoms point to gastrits.

He says I can have an endoscopy, but is certain it won't show anything.

I will get an endoscopy to make sure, but wanted to ask if anyone believes what he says to be true.

Last edited by kevinla; 05-01-2009 at 09:37 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2009, 10:50 PM   #2
    JoshuaDavid
    (male)

JoshuaDavid HB User
    Re: Can anxiety cause severe stomach problems?

Hi Kevin,

When I saw your post in this forum, it made me want to comment on that because my wife too have personally seen many doctors who all said that the cause of the physical symptoms she had - irregular menstrual cycle, tremors and back pains were all stress-related. She had undergone different medical tests such as CT scan and ultrasound and all results were negative.

My wife resorted to taking medication to lessen the symptoms but unfortunately, she still felt anxious and stressed out. She was feeling this way so much so that she developed schizo-affective disorder, a psychological illness that have primary manifestations of visual and auditory hallucinations, depression and paranoia.

Again, she decided to undergo medication to combat these symptoms but again, they didn't fully work. She has resorted to use other means like anti-anxiety quick relief programs to deal with her illness but unfortunately, she only felt good in the beginning and after all her will power and determination got zapped, she reverted to the way she was before she started the program.

But then, my wife came to learn how the self-image, the way she sees and feels about herself, affects how she acts and interacts with people. She, then, carefully examined the reason for her anxieties and fears and she found out that the way she reacted towards her past experiences and beliefs other people inculcated in her caused her to believe that she's a failure, that she wouldn't amount to anything and that she's not lovable and acceptable to other people. Then, she realized that she must let go of the past, forgive herself as well as other people, learn from her mistakes and move on. At the same time, she assessed how she's doing right now compared to how she was when she first got sick and actually, she's doing better now as she's a manager of an information technology company and a good mother to our kids. In fact, she currently financially supporting her parents. Whenever she sets realistic goals, she uses her creative imagination to paint a picture in her mind and repeats that mental imagine over and over again until her mind believes that these goals would be possible for her to attain and this gives her the courage, strength, determination and perseverance to help her achieve her goals. Also, a lot of people have been so surprised to know that she has this illness because she didn't look like someone who has schizo-affective disorder. And they're pretty amazed at how she was able to overcome her illness.

I know how you feel and I know what you're going through. And to answer your question, yes, anxiety can cause stomach problems like nausea and constipation because when the level of your anxiety goes too high, it can reach a point where your physical well-being suffers. So, it's important for you to assess the reasons why you are anxious, change the way you think and feel about yourself and learn how to overcome your issues and act now through creative imagination and positive action. And when you are able to do this, then, you would be able to not just relieve yourself of the physical symptoms that you are feeling now but also help you to lead a normal, healthy and happy life.

Last edited by moderator2; 05-14-2009 at 05:48 AM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s) - please read the posting rules

Old 05-13-2009, 09:01 AM   #3
    greg1x
    (male)

greg1x HB User

Stress (anxiety itself more so) for sure can cause these symptoms. Studies have linked anxiety sufferers more likely to suffer from IBS, which is what most of your symptoms sound like. Greg

Old 05-13-2009, 08:09 PM   #4
    sunshine123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User

When I'm really anxious, my IBS acts up and I get diarrhea.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:29 PM   #5
    angela5271
    (female)

angela5271 HB Userangela5271 HB User

Kevinla:

absolutely...anxiety can cause the problems you are experiencing...I have had anxiety issues for approx. 20 yrs & when they flare up (lack of a better term) I have all the stomach problems you have mentioned.

Although your symptoms may point to something else altogether...i would think your symptoms may be anxiety driven. Have you seen a gastro md about your symptoms or only your pdoc (assumption on my part)?
    My suggestion to you (beings I am not a medical practitioner) would be to seek a second opinion from an md that specializes in symptoms such as you are experiencing.

Good Luck to you...hope you feel better sooner rather than later!!

Angela

Last edited by angela5271; 05-16-2009 at 10:24 AM. Reason: misspelling

Old 05-16-2009, 05:28 AM   #6
    TPcity
    (male)

TPcity HB User

A day without stomach problems for me is a miracle. For me it's what my axiety focal pointi is. It's terrible. Fear of being sick in public, always looking for my escape route if I'm in the shopping center, buildings etc.. Celexa has helped.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:39 AM   #7
    sunshine123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User

I understand. We went to Vegas for a couple of days and on the last day I was nervous about flying and had to use the public bathroom a million times so I wouldn't have to use the bathroom on the plane. It was a awful. I don't like to travel anymore. I also look to see where the bathrooms are wherever I go. I take Lexapro and just upped my dose. I don't think it helps my IBS though. I'm glad to hear that Celexa helps you. Imodium helps me sometimes.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:21 AM   #8
    kat86
    (female)

kat86 HB User

i had exactly the same problem although mine was not only blpating, appetite loss etc it was a severe feeling sick/nausea.i had everything including the endoscopy and millions of other tests and one thing he found was that i had Helicobacter Pylori (which is easily treated) and it COMPLETELY stopped any diareeha. Anxiety is my main cause though, i know that for a fact now! i bet when you are happy and relaxed, your fine?

Old 05-20-2009, 09:12 AM   #9
    cvoor
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cvoor HB User

Anxiety can definately cause your symptoms, because I've had them myself for yrs. I am now on Zoloft, which has helped me , I have not woken up in the middle of the night, to imaginary loud bangs, nightmares, or seen things that were not there. My stomach problems are much less severe. I also had the endoscopy, and I have Gerd and IBS, all excaberated by anxiety.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:55 PM   #10
    jnn
    (female)

jnn HB User

When my anxiety/depression got so bad, my stomatch wouldn't stop growling even when I was talking to my therapist.... It made me feel bad and I did not want to go out and be around other people any more.
    But now I am a little better, the IBS symptoms started to go away a little bit. I do see the causal relationship between anxiety and IBS.

Closed Thread