It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Anxiety drugs other than benzos

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-05-2009, 09:50 AM   #1
    lymphpre
    (male)

lymphpre HB User
    Anxiety drugs other than benzos

What forms of medication have people been prescribed for anxiety, other than benzodiazepines? I know that benzos are extremely effective, particularly lorazepam, but they are also highly addictive, and you build up a tolerance to them very quickly.

Are there any effective alternatives out there?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2009, 09:40 PM   #2
    sunshine123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User
    Re: Anxiety drugs other than benzos

I take Lexapro for generalized anxiety. I've only been taking 10 mgs. since January and feel like I need to up the dose a bit for better control of my anxiety. It's lifted my mood too.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:24 AM   #3
    johno101
    (male)

johno101 HB User

zoloft, is geat. you need to take it for about 6 weeks for it to work, but i love it! ask your doc about it

Old 05-06-2009, 12:18 PM   #4
    light the world
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

light the world HB User

There is effexor, cymbalta, celexa, zoloft, paxil, lexapro, prozac and others. These that I just listed are all antidepressants. They can be very effective when treating anxiety.

Meds: Clonazepam 4mg, Seroquel 200mg

Old 05-19-2009, 09:43 AM   #5
    lymphpre
    (male)

lymphpre HB User

I've now been on citalopram for 4 weeks. One at 10mg, two at 20mg, then one at 30mg. I'm not finding it any help whatsoever, and I sweat even when sitting down doing nothing. I still wake up in an intense state of anxiety around 4am, usually sweating, which stays with me throughout the day unless I take a lorazepam, which my doctor has told me not to do because I have ended up taking one every day for the last few weeks. All through the day, I am completely exhausted. Over the last week, my GP prescribed propanolol instead of lorazepam, but all it does is slow down my heart rate, and leaves the other symptoms untouched. This pattern is regular as clockwork, with no good days, and the anxiety/tenseness is more intense than anything I have ever felt. My head is swimming, my ears ring, and my hands shake.

Any suggestions for what I need to try next? Would a non-benzo sleeping pill be of any use, such as zolpidem? It feels like I never get a proper night's sleep, and the only thing that seems to help is taking a lorazepam when I wake up around 4 am. Is the citalopram likely to be any help with this if I stick with it, because it seems to be making things worse rather than better?

Old 05-19-2009, 10:23 AM   #6
    sunshine123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User

I'm so sorry you're feeling bad on the meds. My neck sweats from Lexapro, but not as bad as what you're having. Have you spoken to your Dr. lately? I'm no expert, but I would think that after taking the med. for 4 weeks, you'd know if it were the right med. for you. Before bed, I take Lexapro, my bp med, a 0.25 mg. Xanax, a Flexeril and a baby aspirin. Without the Xanax and Flexeril, I can't sleep at all. I hope you find something to make you feel better. Best of luck.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:13 AM   #7
    marian100
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

marian100 HB User

Buspar is a good med for anxiety. It is not sedating and has little if any side effects. It is also not as harsh on your liver. It does not have the sedating effects of the tranqs. It does take a little time to work. It started working in four days for me. It has taken a little longer for others on here. Hope this helps. God bless.

Closed Thread