It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Starting Effexor XR

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-11-2009, 11:38 AM   #1
    supereen
    (female)

supereen HB User
    Question Starting Effexor XR

I just got an RX from my doc for the Effexor XR. My psychologist thinks it'll be beneficial for me. I suffer horrible anxiety - have been taken Buspar but I don't think its working for me anymore, which stinks, since I just picture Buspar as being so much more "mild" than the "heavy" stuff like Lexapro, XZoloft, Effexor, etc.

Anyway, I am starting on 37.5 mg, one a day for a week before upping the dose and was wondering when the best time is it take it. Right before bed? I'm panicking thinking that this is going to make me super dizzy. Anyone been-there-done-that with this drug? Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2009, 12:08 PM   #2
    light the world
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

light the world HB User
    Re: Starting Effexor XR

I took this medication back in August for a month and a half. Very first med I was ever on. I would take this at night. Eventually after each week the dose would increase by 37.5mg till I would reach 150mg. Which I was told was the therapeutic level. This medication was horrible for me though, made me suicidal and didn't change the anxiety at all. It also had some horrible side effects. But I have heard other people really benefiting from this medication.

Meds: Clonazepam 4mg, Seroquel 200mg

Old 05-30-2009, 07:45 PM   #3
    mm03gn
    (female)

mm03gn HB User

I have been on Effexor for 2 years now, and I really believe it saved my life. I know it works differently for different people - but after a couple of weeks of being on it, I just felt different - in a good way. I was on 150 mg for about a year, and have been on 75 mg for about a year...will possibly be decreasing again in 6 months or so...

Old 06-03-2009, 02:43 PM   #4
    CTWsAngel
    (female)

CTWsAngel HB User

I too am on Effexor and have good results, I started out by taking mine in the morning but it made me way too sleepy, so dx suggested taking it in the evenings. I have been on it for 2 years and have a script for Xanax for the bad anxiety attacks but have had no bad side effects and definitely feel more in control than I did before. My panic attacks are like heart attacks that come on sudden and can only be eased with breathing exercises and in my extreme cases Xanax. Good luck to you, I hope it works for ya!

Old 06-03-2009, 10:58 PM   #5
    hughmcrae
    (male)

hughmcrae HB User

I tried effexor and was on Xanax at the same time. The treatment of Effexor for me caused hyper-activity which was abnormal. I might be bi-polar since I behaved bezarely, not sure. I am fine on any other anti-depressant but am extremely unwell without Xanax, I have been on 2mg x 2 a day and lower when I can.

I decided on my own to go on Prozac and Mirtazapine (Avanza) at night. Can't sleep without it now. The combo is working, yet I feel it is early stages with Prozac as I feel a litttle nervous but able to cope better with stressfull situations. Will contine with this method and maintain my Xanax use as normal, as I know withdrawal effects are same as panick disorder and will be counter productive. I will also be persueing Clonazepam, as I have read I can ween myself off Xanax with it as Xanax use is a real roller coaster if a dose is delayed.

Wish me luck.

Effexor by the way reoved all effects of any diazepam drugs I had available. I would double my usage, was not right for me.!!!

Old 06-04-2009, 11:33 AM   #6
    supereen
    (female)

supereen HB User

Guess I should update, huh?? I took the Effexor for three days, the headaches and anxiety got worse and I just felt like crap. On top of it all, I kept reading all the horrible things on the 'net about what its like coming off this drug. Read about too many people who wished they'd known the withdrawel effects of this stuff before every going on it. That was all I needed to hear - and I understand there are plenty of people who it has been succesful for. I feel that I am not quite at that brick wall of depair yet, and for now, I am not taking any long term meds. So I went off it after 3 days. I still have my rx for xanax in case of emergency (and I think I have taken one since the day I stopped the Effexor). I just can't handle these everyday drugs.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:29 AM   #7
    hughmcrae
    (male)

hughmcrae HB User

Effexor war horrible to me after it became established in my system after 7 days. As it built up the neurotransmitter nor-adrenaline (it's an SNRI) it killed the effects of XANAX in reducing my fright, flight or fight mechanism -which the drug is designed to increase.

...Make sence.

If your prone to fright, flight or fight any chemical increasing the levels of the neurotransmitter that cause this is namely nor-adrenaline and adrenaline, then it's CRAZY, to take this medication.

It is meant primarily for PANICK disorder and Depression as it also increases seratonine.

Everyone out there who suffers Anxiety/Agraphobia/Social Phobia will only be charged with energy and require tranquilizers in times of stress.

I suggest what I chose prior to seeing my GP, the use of Avanza instead of Effezor for panick. This worked as it is a SNRI as well but with sedative properties, so I can get to sleep at night without panick attacks (fear of sleep/the dark).

....I am now using Avanza at night and Prozac in the morning as I read that Avanza (mertazapine) is a good complimentary ati-depressant. Prozac aslo is proscribed for panick and reduces the ellimation time of Xanax.

I also use GABA as I also found it to work very well in reducing the requirement of tranquilizers.

I still use XANAX as a fear attacks but feel happy and without panick. Just some initial nerves which are said to be natural with the start of Prozac.

GOOD HEALTH TO YOU!
    GET GABA. Have it readily available in water bottles while your out and about.

Closed Thread