It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• How To Tell Difference Between Anxiety Or Heart Issues

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-23-2009, 11:27 AM   #1
    Looly
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Looly HB UserLooly HB User
    How To Tell Difference Between Anxiety Or Heart Issues

Last night I awoke to the feeling like something heavy was on my chest not permitting me to take the right breaths to feel normal. I hoped out of bed nervous thinking it was the beginning of a heart attack. The tightness was felt on my chest, in my back and down my left arm. My heart was also racing. I am now wondering if this was true anxiety or could it be heart related.
    How would we tell the diffrence. I felt bad for like an hour or so and then fell asleep. After I awoke I felt tightness in my chest and neck which I still feel now 12 hours after the episode.
    Can anyone relate?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2009, 09:54 PM   #2
    aeiou77
    (male)

aeiou77 HB User
    Re: How To Tell Difference Between Anxiety Or Heart Issues

I don't know if I can be of much help, but I know my dad did have heart issues, and he has always said to me that "you know when its your heart". He said it was a pressure like somebody had grabbed his heart, started squeezing, and just wouldn't let go. He said you could just tell. I get your symptoms regularly, and mine do last all day as well. They are subsiding now that I'm back on meds, but I do have the occasional bad day still. Sometimes thats all I'll get is the pressure in the chest, so I know what you mean. Its definitely unsettling. I'd still set an appointment up to get a more professional opinion, however, because the unfortunate thing about heart conditions and anxiety, is that they do have similar symptoms. Keep us posted!

Old 05-24-2009, 02:22 PM   #3
    Trixibel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Trixibel HB User

I would see a cardiologist Looly, just to get checked out.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:53 PM   #4
    Glorie
    (female)

Glorie HB User

I've had that feeling in the middle of the night, and it's scary. I have had a bunch of medical tests and all is fine. I found that when I have that feeling that it is acid reflux, and now I take a pepcid at bedtime and it has not happened since.

Closed Thread