It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Anxiety very strong when waking up, any tips?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-02-2009, 01:10 PM   #1
    plasva
    Veteran
    (female)

plasva HB User
    Anxiety very strong when waking up, any tips?

There must be something about coming out of the sleep-state, but I've noticed 80% of my anxiety occurs while lying in bed in the morning, when coming out of sleep/dreams. Whatever I'm having anxiety about in real life suddenly pops into my head (as if I suddenly "remembered" it), along with a few other things. (For example, now I'm thinking of what it'd be like to be in an airplane that crashes.) The anxiety can be VERY bad within *seconds* of waking.

However, after I get out of bed and start doing things, the anxiety is 90% gone.

Does anyone have any tips on what I can do about this?

It almost feels like an automatic reaction lately-- oh, the alarm clock is going off, anxiety thoughts must appear NOW.

I know you're going to say, get out of bed and start doing things! But I'd rather figure out how to retrain my brain....

If it helps, I take 10 mg Lexapro each night, but this problem began before I started Lexapro. The Lexapro keeps me from feeling depressed, but now that I'm not depressed, I realize I've always had anxiety along with depression that I just didn't recognize, because I was focused on the depression...

Well if anyone else has dealt with this morning-anxiety, please let me know anything that helps you, and I'll try some thought-experiments out and let you know

PS: When I remember dreams, they are almost ALWAYS anxiety dreams, if anyone has any thoughts on that.
    PSS: The jaw/neck tension I have during the day that I mentioned in an earlier post is fairly under control as long as I am conciously aware of it and make a purposeful effort to relax...

Last edited by plasva; 06-02-2009 at 01:12 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2009, 12:57 PM   #2
    cybercondriac
    (male)

cybercondriac HB User
    Re: Anxiety very strong when waking up, any tips?

When you wake up do you often wish for a lay in? If yes like most of us think of your special place. Mine is a vision of a cave in a mountain range with volcanic spas
    and fresh water. Think of this place and try and fake the environment around you while you close your eyes.
    Also may I add.
    Caffeine can increase your anxiety a lot so stay away from cups of tea and coffee in the morning.

Closed Thread