It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Best anti-anxiety med?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-14-2009, 07:58 AM   #1
    Luvmydog
    (female)

Luvmydog HB User
    Best anti-anxiety med?

For those of you.....who, like me cannot tolerate any of the SSRI's.......can you share with me what anti-anxiety meds work for you and how much you take? Thanks so much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2009, 11:32 AM   #2
    greg1x
    (male)

greg1x HB User
    Re: Best anti-anxiety med?

I am not saying it is the best , but I take Buspar 30mg daily (15 mg am and 15mg pm) Greg

Old 06-15-2009, 04:30 AM   #3
    hockeygirlcanad
    (female)

hockeygirlcanad HB User

Honestly,
    Clonazepam. It is anti anxiety (benzo) but I have maintained my dose for 10 yrs without needing to up it due to tolerance. I have severe gad. It is the only relief I have gotten. Also, seroquel xr, which is an atypical anti-psychotic but used for people with anxiety, is a good choice as well. I know many people who find relief this way.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:37 AM   #4
    clear
    (male)

clear HB User

Xanax, .5 mg under your tongue. I have been on them for five years. Some days I need 2, some days none. In 5 years I have probably had 4 or 5 total days where I needed 4. One of those days was a wedding day! Most of the time just knowing it is in my pocket is all I need. A sense of security. It really helps and I love not having to take something everyday. It also gives me confidence and helps with CBT, which is the hardest yet best therapy.

Last edited by clear; 06-15-2009 at 06:38 AM.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:22 AM   #5
    supereen
    (female)

supereen HB User

I also take xanax as needed. Half a pill usually is all I need. I average about 1/2 pill every week. Sometimes longer. I refuse to take something that is going to get me addicted (yes, I know the xanax can bcome addicitve, which is why I am so careful with how much and how often I take it), or is going to produce horrible withdrawel effects. I was on Buspar for a couple of months but it stopped working. I tried Lexapro - NIGHTMARE! Tried Effexor - DOUBLE NIGHTMARE! I'm pretty happy just knowing my bottle of xanax is in my bag in case of emergency.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:08 PM   #6
    kkww40
    (female)

kkww40 HB User

It really makes me wonder when people talk about xanax being addictive...every medicine has the potential. I have taken the same dose of xanax for 15 years. Guess what...it improved my life...helps with work, family, sleep. Tried every antidepressant...not depressed. just anxious...so my doctor treated the problem like a smart doctor would and gave me an anti anxiety medication.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:03 PM   #7
    40something361
    (female)

40something361 HB User

I'm new here (hope I'm doing this right). My PCP will not give me a prescription forXanax. I went to see my OBGYN and just happened to mention I was having anxiety and she quickly offered a prescription which I declined because a doctor at the ER had given me 10 pills during a visit where I just knew I was having a heart attack. I called her later to ask her for the prescription and her nurse said the doctor doesn't prescribe "those" type of meds....she ended up calling in a prescription for 20 pills which I halve. I also feel secure just knowing I have them in my purse.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:17 PM   #8
    Arggg
    Inactive
    (female)

Arggg HB UserArggg HB UserArggg HB User

For me, Clonazepam (generic Klonipin).

Also, fish oil supplements, about 4000 IU a day, and calcium-magnesium supplements. These all keep me MUCH calmer.

Old 06-19-2009, 05:15 PM   #9
    sunshine123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User

Xanax works the best for me, but I take such a small dose; 0.25 mgs. before bed and that same dose once in awhile during the day. It's the same dose I've been taking for several years. In January, I started taking Lexapro for GAD. I'm now taking 20 mgs. and it's working pretty well for my anxiety too. A lot of Docs don't want to prescribe Xanax, but luckily the Dr. I have now doesn't freak out about prescribing it.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:11 PM   #10
    clear
    (male)

clear HB User

I always take my xanax to the doctor when it is time to renew and show him how much I have left. I think this helps them feel better. They started me off at only 20 per month, and then he realized I was not abusing them but had a better quality of life and he asked me what I needed. Great Doctor!!

Old 06-21-2009, 08:47 PM   #11
    sunshine123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User

I had gone to a woman Internist who prescribed Ativan instead of Xanax, but Ativan is just as addictive. For many reasons, I don't see her anymore. In my experience, most male Drs. are more understanding about anxiety than women Drs.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:52 PM   #12
    Spenstar
    (female)

Spenstar HB User

Lexapro for me...20mg X 2 per day. Not on xanax at the moment, but have mentioned it to my psych dr who seems leary about giving it to me.

Old 07-04-2009, 06:14 PM   #13
    creinha
    (female)

creinha HB User

I can't take any of the anti-depressants due to a mild seizure disorder. My GP also won't prescribe benzos due to the fact that I could get addicted. Therefore, she prescribed a small dosage (5 mg) of Zyprexa. It really worked wonders. Stopped my racing thoughts in just a couple of days. It's been a good drug except I've gained 10 pounds in a single month. At my next appointment, I'm going to ask for something different that won't cause weight gain.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:40 PM   #14
    The only name not taken
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

The only name not taken HB User

There is no "Best anxiety med" which is half the problem with mental health, what works for one person may / may not work for another, hence the need for dozens of different types.

Closed Thread