It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• my 9 year old gets panic attacks what can i do?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-17-2009, 02:22 PM   #1
    nina ddd
    (female)

nina ddd HB User
    my 9 year old gets panic attacks what can i do?

my 9 year old gets panic attacks what can i do?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2009, 03:48 AM   #2
    kidd123
    (female)

kidd123 HB User
    Re: my 9 year old gets panic attacks what can i do?

Hi there! My daughter was about 8 or 9 yrs old when she went thru a hard time going to school. She would cry and scream with fear. Luckily the teacher was calm and firm--she would instruct me to leave her & would talk to her to calm her down. It turns out that my daughter one day shared with me that after a small argument with me, she had wished me dead. She was afraid that something would happen to me while she was at school & it would be her "fault."
    So, I would recommend talking with her to find out if she has unrealistic thoughts that are bringing on these panic attacks.
    Also, I have not had a panic attack in years & what helped me greatly was a
    series of breathing exercises which help tremendously. Breathe in through the nose slowly for 4 seconds then hold for 8 seconds, after which you breathe out through the mouth for 8 seconds. It helps to make sure that ALL of the air is out of your lungs, before you take the next breath. Do this 4 times. It seems like my brain cannot think about being scared when I am focused on counting, and the act of holding our breath for 8 seconds
    does counteract shallow breathing--which can cause anxiety.
    I do hope that your daughter is able to recover soon. God bless you both.

Closed Thread