It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Has anyone ever tried kava kava for anxiety?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-17-2009, 03:36 PM   #1
    supereen
    (female)

supereen HB User
    Has anyone ever tried kava kava for anxiety?

I just ordered some in both capsule and bulk powder formula after reading such positive reports on its effects on anxiety. However, it would be more believable coming from someone here who actually has anxiety. Anyone?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2009, 06:29 PM   #2
    dduff
    (male)

dduff HB User
    Re: Has anyone ever tried kava kava for anxiety?

I have not tried Kava but do know that there are concerns about liver toxicity from using Kava supplements.

See http://www.fda.gov/Food/ResourcesForYou/Consumers/ucm085482.htm

However, the raw Kava has been used for many years relatively without documented long-term adverse effects.

Keep the board updated on your experience.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:10 AM   #3
    supereen
    (female)

supereen HB User

I had read all that too. Apparently there was one kava distributor who messed up and used the leaves in their kava, which is a huge no-no. Which then led to all the hoopla re: liver issues, etc.

Will keep you updated. Anything that can help us with anxiety that isnt a zombie pill is definitely worth discussing, lol!

Old 06-19-2009, 08:33 AM   #4
    Shannatoo
    (female)

Shannatoo HB User

No worries, my ND said alot of the issues with kava and the liver were completely unfounded. She also said it is one of the best anti-anxiety herbs. I haven't had very much luck with it but why not try it? Every body is different so its worth a shot. Plus, I didn't have any negative side effects from trying it. My doc had me take it in tincture form.

Good Luck!

Old 06-19-2009, 01:05 PM   #5
    4Panic
    (male)

4Panic HB User

I don't think there's anything wrong with kava kava, I even tried taking it. But as soon as I told my doc I was taking it he recommended stopping. Also, don't take St. Johns Wort if you are on an anti-depresant as the two can interact negatively with eachother.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:50 AM   #6
    supereen
    (female)

supereen HB User

Well, it works! You have no idea (or perhaps you do!) how dumbfounded I am that something natural, an HERB, root, whatever it is actually WORKS. Two days in a row, anxiety was niggling at me, I took a capsule and the anxiety actually disappeared. I know this is not some "placebo effect" thing either - I have tried valerian with no success, motherwort with no success and I was fully prepared to not feel a thing with the kava kava. I am pretty shocked. I have also gotten great sleep at night.

I got the capsules and the bulk form. Havent tried the bulk form yet (its to make tea), but the capsules work.

Last edited by ms_mod; 06-20-2009 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Don't post website addresses or the name of the website. Ms_Mod

Closed Thread