It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Prozac and anxiety

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-21-2009, 11:14 PM   #1
    mochi*
    Veteran
    (female)

mochi* HB Usermochi* HB User
    Prozac and anxiety

Hey all,
    I was prescribed prozac for some severe OCD/depression and anxiety.
    I have been on 10 mg for a week, and upped to 20 mg today..
    I didn't notice much of a change at first, but now I am having some serious insomnia and anxiety--this could also be because my life is incredbily stressful right now.

Also, I have lost my appetite a bit on Prozac. Any advice?
    How do I know if it is the drugs or just me???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2009, 10:10 AM   #2
    4Panic
    (male)

4Panic HB User
    Re: Prozac and anxiety

If you just upped your dosage today it's probably not the Prozac, as prozac takes about a month to kick in.

Old 06-27-2009, 05:27 PM   #3
    MyOMy
    (female)

MyOMy HB User

I have been on Prozac about 6 weeks, the last 5 or so on 20mg. I have not noticed any increase in anxiety, it actually seems to be helping, I constantly worry about my husband being laid off, and loss of helath benefits, now instead of questioning him about losing his job 40 times a day, I now only ask him about 39,lol I was actually put on it to see if it would calm me down enough to bring my bp down, and so far it seems to be working, bp has been the best in the last couple of weeks that it has been in 11 years. Sorry I can't answer your question about insomnia, I take something for that. Prozac has affected my appetite somewhat, my clothes seem to be a little looser, hope this answers some of your questions.

Old 06-28-2009, 04:36 PM   #4
    mochi*
    Veteran
    (female)

Thanks, I think it is definitely helping with the depression, not sure yet about the anxiety.
    It may just be me freaking out because there's a lot of changes/uncertainty/instability happening for me right now.
    Thank you though!!

Old 06-29-2009, 09:33 AM   #5
    lt123
    (female)

lt123 HB User

I to have been on prozac for about 2 1/2 months (help with depression, anxiety and intrusive thoughts) I am on 40 mg (which now reading how low your doses are I am worried because mine are higher, ugh, anxiety is HARD). I have found it is helping alot, I have been on other generic meds and I feel this has less side effects than others. I am taking it because I am pregnant and it is safe to use while pregnant, so nonetheless I continue to eat Good luck with every thing!

Old 06-29-2009, 11:52 AM   #6
    mochi*
    Veteran
    (female)

Thanks, I am taking it for the same three things: OCD (mostly intusive thoughts, some annoying checking) major anxiety and depression. I think it is really helping with the depression, I am now wishing I started years ago!!! The anxiety is hard to say, i think i need to make some major life-changes before that calms down significantly.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:13 PM   #7
    4Panic
    (male)

4Panic HB User

Hey Mochi,
    That's not a bad idea to make changes in your life, as long as they are for the better. For example, a good change would be to quit smoking. A bad change would be to start avoiding certain places or situations that cause anxiety. Also, you have to remember that prozac takes a month, sometimes more, to have an effect on your panic/anxiety. It takes alot of patience but you just have to give it time. It sucks, I know, but hopefully when it does start taking effect you will feel like a million bucks!

Old 06-29-2009, 06:11 PM   #8
    mochi*
    Veteran
    (female)

Thanks KillPanic

I totally agree: It is good to make certain changes, not all. But in terms of my life now, change is essential and good. I am in the position I am in now precisely because I let anxiety take over my life, not intentionally, of course, but I started to avoid things I used to really enjoy because they began to provoke anxiety (which for me usually causes insomnia and subsequent exhaustion, more anxiety, and loss of appetite--ug!!)
    I think I started out by avoiding travel because it made me anxious to sleep places other than my home (I know, it sounds crazy.) This was a disater because I actually really love travelling and have done a lot of in the past, so avoiding it made me depressed, and of course, made the anxiety of being away from home even stronger. I used to be an EXTREMELY adventurous person, so the fact that I developed this bizzare phobia still baffles me. It wasn;t that I was afraid so much of being away from home, in fact, I wanted desperately to travel still, but I just thought that it would or could cause anxiety/panic and I would loose control or go nuts or something. Basically, I psyched myself out. So weird.
    After a bad break up everything just got so much worse, the anxiety, the OCD, the depression, and I sort of stopped trying to do anything but survive the days. While I realize that sounds dramatic, in essense it is true; I got so chronically anxious and depressed (oscillating between both extremes) that I was too exhausted all the time from just managing my symptoms and
    monitoring my moods that I stopped living life: I stopped dating (I am only 29!) stopped looking for jobs, graduate programs, anything that required great effort or focus I seemingly lost the ability to do, in turn, I got really low and really lost. I even quit my job and got one that was completely off-track for me and unrewarding, it was a disastrous 2 years.
    Finally, after a year of intensive therapy, I decided enough was enough, and decided to try meds. I figure if I can get some help from them, stop being so controlled by my moods or whatever, then I can get my life back on track: I can get myself back. So that is where I am at now, rebuilding my life and all that I neglected and all that was injured when I got so down. It's a lot of work and I am afraid of how much I have to make up for, but on the other hand, it feels great too finally be ready to take my life back. I can't believe it ever got so bad. Has anyone else expereinced this, what should I call it?: Loss of time because of anxiety/depression??
    Sorry for the rant, guess I had a lot on my mind, feeling kinda sad about how much I have lost, how much work there is just to get back where i was. I know I can do it though! Thanks for listening!

Old 06-30-2009, 11:53 AM   #9
    4Panic
    (male)

4Panic HB User

I can relate. My friends think I'm the most easy going, laid back person. So when I tell them I've got this stupid panic disorder that comes out of the blue, they just can't believe it. Anywho, look at it this way, you're still young so you will have plenty of time to enjoy life and do the things you want to do. The way I look at it is, you can't change the past. What's done is done, there's no sense in thinking or worrying about what could have been. Just take life day by day.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:52 PM   #10
    mochi*
    Veteran
    (female)

Thanks Killpanic,

I agree, there is still a lot of life to be lived, and even though sometimes I fear 29 is very old and I am far behind my peers (career and marriage/family-wise) I'm also glad that I am fianlly emerging from the coma I have been in for so long, and I know that if I can keep my anxiety/depression at ease, I can accomplish a lot.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:24 AM   #11
    4Panic
    (male)

4Panic HB User

Nah, 29 is not old.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:55 AM   #12
    mochi*
    Veteran
    (female)

oh, phew.
    i think most of the problem is just that i am lonely. moved around a lot, still not settled.
    bleh

Closed Thread