It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Prozac Questions?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-03-2009, 07:25 AM   #1
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
    Prozac Questions?

I've been taking Prozac for almost a month now and have a few questions for any other users out there. So far I really like Prozac because I've felt many benefits overall and no weight gain. One issue is how tired it makes me feel. The first couple of days, I didn't feel tired at all, but I felt relaxed. After a couple of weeks of taking it, I started to get really exhausted. I take Prozac in the morning. Is it okay to take it in the evening instead? I hear many people suggest mornings, but I feel sleepy all day, then I sometimes wake up a lot at night. I feel like if I can take it in the evening, it would balance out. I've had to rely a lot on coffee and other forms of caffeine to stay awake at work! I know that people like to take it in the morning to feel the main effects from the med while awake, but I'm too tired!

Second issue is that I've noticed a lot more discomfort after eating/drinking. Prior to taking Prozac, I'd get a little bit of acid reflux and I'd have to burp a lot for some reason. I know I have a sensitive stomach and thought I was just swallowing too much air. Now, it continues to get worse. I have a difficult time burping and get a lot of trapped air that gets very painful. When I can burp, I often have a difficult time not vomiting a little bit. I also can't be burping at work all the time! It's an embarrassing issue and it's been very uncomfortable. I am going to try an over the counter medication for it and see if that helps, but I am curious to know if any other Prozac users have had this happen. I would estimate that I have to burp 200 times per day, so much more than normal. It's hard to exercise without almost vomiting, and I run regularly. I notice that almost every food causes this and even water. In the morning, I don't really have the issue (right after taking Prozac). I usually drink some coffee each morning and eat a protein bar. During the rest of the day, I usually drink only water and maybe a little bit of crystal light or vitamin water. I don't eat very many acidic or spicy foods. I eat a lot of simple grilled chicken, fruits and vegetables, salads, and simpler foods.

If anyone can give me any tips, that would be great! I am open to any ideas. I'm hoping I can work around these issues so I can continue to take Prozac .

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2009, 08:04 PM   #2
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
    Re: Prozac Questions?

Well, I talked to my pharmacist and looks like I'll just try taking it at night and see how that goes! Hope it helps They said it also might help with the acid reflux problem. I bought some pepcid complete and it's been helping quite a bit, but I can't eat any fruits or vegetables and have to stick with bland foods. I hope I can eat normally again because I eat a lot of produce!

Old 08-03-2009, 08:50 PM   #3
    magpie1970
    (female)

magpie1970 HB User

I've been on 30mg for awhile now and haven't had any problems. My sister takes hers at night because it makes her sleepy, try that and see if it helps.

Good luck!

Old 08-03-2009, 10:54 PM   #4
    calidreaming
    Veteran
    (female)

calidreaming HB User

this is an awesome question. I was going to ask it myself.

When I first went on prozac.. I took it during the day. I was a lot younger and I am thinking more resilient to the side effects. Well the 2nd time I took it, I took it in the evening time. Well I just restarted it again last week... and taking it during the day has made me very sleepy ALL day..like what you are describing. So I've changed it to night time. I fear it might make me feel hungover in the morning! Its also made me fairly dizzy in the day.

I remember the side effects not lasting too long.. maybe a few weeks tops. So if you are still super tired during the day I would try changing it to a night time or dinner time dose.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:42 AM   #5
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks for your reply! I didn't take my Prozac this morning and will take it this evening. I'll probably take it after dinner time rather than RIGHT before bed to give it some time to not make me overly drowsy in the morning. We'll see how it goes! I already tend to feel "hungover" in the morning from allergies and sinus issues, so I'd hate to feel even worse.

I also am able to eat normally today without acid reflux problems. This pretty much confirms that Prozac was giving me this as a side effect. Hopefully taking it at night will work well since I won't be eating or drinking fluids at night. I still feel pretty tired today, but I can tell it's just a sleepy tired from my dog keeping me awake at night, not the drowsy tired I feel from Prozac.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:06 AM   #6
    calidreaming
    Veteran
    (female)

calidreaming HB User

question: are you waiting a good 30 mins after taking it before lying down? If its giving you acid reflux, try taking it with lots of water or even milk might help. I had to do this with an antibiotic I was taking.. maybe it might help with prozac?

I just switched to nighttime too! I took mine around 7 last night. And I feel ok this morning. Still a little anxious.. waiting for the med to kick in! I too have sinus problems, so I know how you feel! Can't wait for summer to be over!

Prozac really has helped me in the past, so I would be patient with it. It takes a while to get its full effects!

Last edited by msmod; 08-04-2009 at 12:12 PM.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:45 PM   #7
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I don't lay down at all after taking Prozac, so I know that isn't the problem. The past few weeks, I'd been taking Prozac after waking up and would take it with some water and eat some breakfast. I'd feel fine during breakfast, but I usually eat something light. After that, I drive to work and I have a desk job. I walk around a lot and I go running most evenings. Running has been difficult with acid reflux, and yes, any laying down even way later on in the day is difficult. When I do crunches, I have to be very careful that I don't have acid reflux, even though it's been over 12 hours since taking it. Usually, the problems start around lunch time or anytime I start drinking fluids at least a couple of hours after taking Prozac.

Today I was able to eat some fruit during lunch without any trouble! I sure was glad. I feel much better without taking Prozac in the morning, and so far, I'm not very anxious. I'll take it in the evening after I eat dinner and see how it goes! Usually, even water really bothers me and the water will come back up. I am still burping a lot today, but I can do so more easily and don't feel discomfort from it (and can do so quietly!).

Old 08-06-2009, 07:20 PM   #8
    calidreaming
    Veteran
    (female)

calidreaming HB User

So i took the Prozac tonight before I ate, not realizing my stomach was empty. And I am having this heartburn that you are talking about. It must be taking it on an empty stomach that gives weird side effects?

How has the evening dosing been going?

Old 08-07-2009, 07:08 AM   #9
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Great news! I think I've cured my acid reflux I was only taking my Prozac with about half a glass of water. I often felt like I could still feel it in my throat and would drink more water and it would still feel weird. So, I made sure to drink an entire water bottle with it and made sure I could not feel the pill in my throat. I take it after my evening workouts and shortly before going to bed.

I had headaches for a couple of days in the morning, but they were related to "women's issues" since that happens every month. Today I feel fine in the morning! I am tired, but not any worse than a normal day. I'm just not a morning person and I'm always tired when I wake up early. I am just going to start trying to get to bed a little bit earlier.

So, I think the night dose is working well! I didn't have an empty stomach, but it had been a little while since eating dinner, but I think the water helped a lot. So, it's very possible that taking it FIRST thing in the morning on an empty stomach can cause it too!

Old 08-07-2009, 11:16 PM   #10
    calidreaming
    Veteran
    (female)

calidreaming HB User

yeah i have been taking mine around 6/7pm each night. Its helped a lot. Its made me sleepy enough to sleep. But I haven't been to unusually groggy in the morning. I think its starting to kick in because Im having less general headaches. (i get a lot of migraines and sinus headaches due to allergies). Somehow prozac always helps me with headaches too.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:47 PM   #11
    sunshine123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User

I've been taking 20 mgs. of Prozac at 10 pm and feel very groggy in the mornings. I think I'll start taking it at 7 pm too and see if that helps. The Prozac has really helped my anxiety, but I've been feeling some depression since taking it and I think it's <BECAUSE> it's made me so tired.

Last edited by msmod; 08-09-2009 at 06:50 AM. Reason: As per the posting rules, always use whole, real words in your posts. Ms_Mod

Old 08-09-2009, 09:23 PM   #12
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sunshine123, that's true that feeling so tired can make you feel depressed. I find that when I feel super tired, I feel like I'm just wasting time and not able to live my life. Definitely give it a try taking it in the evening. I also tried taking it around 7pm, but I work out around 9pm and was getting acid reflux, so now I just take it as soon as I'm done working out.. and with lots of water! I feel less tired during the day now and I sleep fine. I still feel that it's effective at helping my anxiety, even if it's supposedly most effective while I sleep since I take it in the evening.

This is kind of an odd question, but I notice that I have a difficult time burping since taking Prozac. Has this ever happened to anyone else? I'll get pretty uncomfortable because of this, and it happens every time after I eat. I've found that working out helps get rid of this issue, but I just think it's a strange side effect to get. It definitely started happening after taking Prozac though. I'm just glad the acid reflux went away because that was the main issue. I can deal with the other thing!

Last edited by tUrRrRa; 08-09-2009 at 09:23 PM.

Closed Thread