It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Celexa vs. Lexapro

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-07-2009, 10:47 PM   #1
    hamstachick
    (female)

hamstachick HB User
    Celexa vs. Lexapro

I'm looking around, reading all I can on different anti-anxiety meds and am wondering if anyone has switched from Lexapro to Celexa and how the experience has been? Is there a difference? Does one have more side effects? Is one harder to get off of, worse side effects/withdrawls?

I read in a post that someone said not to drink caffeine with Celexa, but I don't really know why. I took Lexapro and drank some Icees with it. No problem.

I also read about some adverse side effects, such as over 10% of patients reported one or more of the following side effects: fatigue, drowsiness, dry mouth, increased sweating (hyperhidrosis), trembling, headache, dizziness, sleep disturbances, insomnia, cardiac arrhythmia, hallucinations, blood pressure changes, nausea and/or vomiting, diarrhea, heightened anorgasmia in females, impotence and ejaculatory problems in males. In rare cases (around over 1% of cases), some allergic reactions, convulsions, mood swings, anxiety and confusion have been reported. Also sedation may be present during treatment of citalopram. If this occurs it is advisable to take the dose at bedtime instead of in the morning.

One rare side effect of antidepressant medications is bruxism (teeth grinding). However there is no evidence directly implicating citalopram with teeth grinding.

But in other posts found it to be pretty helpful for anxiety.

In one place, Lexapro was on the list as SSRIs that gain weight, but Celexa is on the no weight gain list. Hmm...anyone have experiences with that?

I took Lexapro, it worked, but I gained weight and thought I was ok and stopped. I had to start again but something didn't work that time, made anxiety worse, bad dreams, suicidal thoughts, so I stopped. But I need something to take edge off.

I am wondering if I can either try again if I have to and maybe time has helped (6 months) or maybe Celexa, Lexapro's cousin, might work for me?

Any thoughts on this?
    Health Obsessed
    Separation anxiety
    Generalized anxiety disorder
    ~~*~BE HERE NOW~*~~
    ~~*~NAMASTE~*~~

Last edited by hamstachick; 10-07-2009 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Forgot something, added something

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2009, 08:56 PM   #2
    hamstachick
    (female)

hamstachick HB User
    Re: Celexa vs. Lexapro

Anybody? Seems SOMEONE would have tried these meds on here. =\
    Health Obsessed
    Separation anxiety
    Generalized anxiety disorder
    ~~*~BE HERE NOW~*~~
    ~~*~NAMASTE~*~~

Old 01-16-2010, 06:50 AM   #3
    HeidiM
    (female)

HeidiM HB User
    Re: Celexa vs. Lexapro

They are the same thing ~ celexa, lexapro and escitalopram. Just different names.

Last edited by msmod; 01-16-2010 at 07:55 AM.

Closed Thread