It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Paxil withdrawal - severe insomnia???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-16-2009, 02:49 AM   #1
    CelticMomma
    (female)

CelticMomma HB User
    Paxil withdrawal - severe insomnia???

Hello, I'm a 46 yo mother of two. I started taking 10 mg of paxil about 10 days ago, and took it for only 6 days. By the sixth day, I was having severe panic attacks at night so I talked to my doctor and got off the paxil. My last paxil was Monday -- Tuesday, Wed and Thursday night, I have had SEVERE imsomnia -- waking about least 8 times during the night. Last night I took two benadryls to sleep (ok'd by my doctor - who by this time thinks I'm a real nut by the way I think)... I still woke up at least six times.

Is this normal??? It's really stressing me out worse than the original depression did! any advice would be very much appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2009, 06:17 AM   #2
    ExtremelyWired
    (male)

ExtremelyWired HB User
    Re: Paxil withdrawal - severe insomnia???

Having withdrawal symptoms from Paxil is not uncommon, but at your low dose and for the short amount of time you took it, it’s more likely your insomnia is caused by something else like anxiety. You could ask your doctor for a 30 day prescription of Lorazepam, which should help with your insomnia. It is also very common to have increased anxiety and panic attracts during the start phase of Paxil. These “start up” symptoms are uncomfortable and can last for several weeks. Usually your doctor will tell you that you may feel worse before you feel better and not to give up too soon. It can take a full six weeks before you notice the full benefits from Paxil. If it were me, I would give Paxil another chance and use Lorazepam as needed to help get you through the start up phase of Paxil. I take Paxil for anxiety and OCD and find it to work well.

Last edited by ExtremelyWired; 10-16-2009 at 03:15 PM.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:35 PM   #3
    colby88
    (male)

colby88 HB User

Yes, I believe it's normal but considering you were only on it for 6 days it could be something else but most likely it's related to Paxil.

I have been off of Paxil for 1.5 yrs now and the insomnia was unbearable when I stopped taking it. I know it was from discontinuing Paxil even though I was only on 10 mg. in the end. I would go two days in a row without a wink of sleep. I had never experienced this pre-Paxil or while taking Paxil. I am STILL battling insomnia today and am convinced it's from being on Paxil. I was on it for 6.5 yrs. I keep hoping with more time it will get better. Insomnia is awful but now I try not to stress myself even more when I can't sleep. However, I'm at my wits end some nights!

Last edited by msmod; 10-17-2009 at 06:33 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Old 10-17-2009, 05:44 AM   #4
    CelticMomma
    (female)

CelticMomma HB User

thanks for your replies... last night I think I slept for at least 4 hours at one stretch.... but that was with the help of a couple Benadryl's but hey I'll take it!! I feel a little groggy this am, but rested. yippeeee!

Old 10-17-2009, 09:21 AM   #5
    Daises28
    (female)

Daises28 HB User

I was on Paxil for 3+ years and decided to get taken off (weight gain) and I had HORRIBLE withdrawals. I did noticed I wasn't as tired as much and I was going to bed later and later I'm no night owl, lol so I knew something wasn't right and asssumed it was from the Paxil withdrawal .It didn't last long though.

Closed Thread