It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• getting off of zoloft

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-23-2010, 10:47 PM   #1
    tshont
    (female)

tshont HB User
    getting off of zoloft

Hi everone. I wanted to get some advice/support from anyone who has ever come off of this drug (or one like it) I started taking it in early 2005 along with Klonopin as needed for anxiety/panic. I take very little of the Klonopin these days. I tried coming off of the Zoloft this time last year, but was back on it in a few months. Looking back though, I think I could have managed but gave into the easier solution. I do not feel that I need it anymore.

I've been tapering since November and have, as of this week, completely stopped. I'm not having any physical problems such as brain zaps, etc. My problem is that I am having mood swings. I get very upset for reasons that aren't really valid. I cry uncontrollably and think of all the bad things in my life. Does anyone have experience with this? Could this be from the Zoloft withdrawal? Any advice would be great! thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2010, 08:09 PM   #2
    Bertha Marie
    (female)

Bertha Marie HB User
    Re: getting off of zoloft

My sweet dear, autistic husband was on Zoloft...it made him crazy! He beat dents in our metal front door out of frustration. He is not a violent man; he has never hurt me, he won't even kill a fly.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:46 PM   #3
    tshont
    (female)

tshont HB User

Will this go away? These mood issues :-(

Old 02-03-2010, 07:05 AM   #4
    Bertha Marie
    (female)

Bertha Marie HB User

tshont,
    Sorry for the bad news? The mood swings probably will not go away without finding a medicine to control them? Finding the medicine that will work is all trial and error. There are several different "types" of medicines, you may see if a different kind of medicine will work?

My sweet dear autistic husband was on Zoloft because he was stuck on medical misstreatment issue and about drove me crazy! The medicine made his anxiety even worse; he beat dents in our metal door...he is not a violent man. This was very out of character for him. We immediately took him off and put him on a different kind of medicine...Zyprexa! It worked wonderfully but caused weight gain. He then took Halprodol which worked just fine...now he isn't on any anxiety meds! Yippy!

I know there was an issue that caused major anxiety and it took years to overcome it but now he is fine. I try to keep him calm by changing his focus. He is always stuck on something...right now it is "Obama being the Anti-Christ!" I can deal with it...he drives me crazy still but I can usually just ignore him and tell him it doesn't bother me, I am going to be raptured out before the Anti-Christ takes over so I really don't care.

I suggest that you keep a diary of his moods and take it to his doctor and discuss your options...maybe your son just cannot take that kind of medicine like me husband?

In Christian love,
    Bertha Marie

Old 07-30-2010, 07:42 AM   #5
    GW2004
    (female)

GW2004 HB User

Hi. I have been on Serenata 50mg (Zoloft) since January 2009. My GP prescribed it when I was having panic attacks brought about my brother's brain surgeries due to his aneurysm.

But I want to start weaning off it now, as my cardiologist has taken me off my hypertension medication (Losartan Potassium 25mg) and anti-cholesterol medication. My blood pressure spiked during my brother's hospitalization alongside the sudden onset of my panic attacks and I have been on the Losartan Potassium alongside the anti-depressant since then. My BP has been very stable over the past year, sometimes going as low as 110/70.

So yesterday I visited a psychiatrist to discuss weaning myself off the anti-depressant, the last of my medications. We are taking it very, very slowly as we want to "fool" the brain into thinking that I am still on the same dosage. We will start with 50mg every other day and 25mg (half the tablet) every other day. I am to go back to her after a month to assess how I have been feeling with the initial dose reduction. I am bracing myself up for some withdrawal symptoms to hit me at some point because so far, I've read from this message board that many have had unpleasant experiences coming off Zoloft. I exercise a lot, and my doctor says that helps. I recall that the effects of the pill kicked in just a day or 2 of the very first one I took. In my next visit we will be discussing some cognitive behavior therapies that I am to do alongside my weaning.

I am very, very hopeful about this and am willing to take it as slowly as the doctor says I should - even if takes more than a year. I am not in a rush to get off this, as long as I can do it right and successfully.

I wish us both luck. Keep in touch!

Closed Thread