It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Anxiety or PSVT? Please help.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-05-2010, 01:13 PM   #1
    lily13999
    (female)

lily13999 HB User
    Red face Anxiety or PSVT? Please help.

Hello,

I am 26 yr old female with 2 young. They are both breastfeeding still (ages 3 yrs and 5 months). After my daughter was born in October around January I started getting tachycardia. I would wake up with my heart beating around 140-160bpm. As it comes down I shake all over. I have been having these episodes more frequent in the past 2 weeks. I have been to the ER multiple times. I have been told it is PSVT, some have said it is anxiety. I have had ECG's, and blood work all come out ok. Yesterday I was sustaining a 130 bpm rate. Vasalva was unresponsive to bring it down. I was given fluids and 1mg of Ativan. I did not feel anxious, but it brought the rate down to normal. Now they really believe this is anxiety and discharged me saying it is sinus tach, with anxiety. I am confused and afraid regarding my heart beating so quickly and its almost become an everyday occurrence. It usually is happening around 4am-8am in the morning. I am now constantly checking my pulse not wanting it to happen. My high numbers are in the 150's-160's when this happens. If I vagal it'll sometimes skip a beat then slowly return normal as I shake all over. Any input would be welcomed. Would a PSVT respond to Ativan? I have a referral in progress to a cardio, but it is taking forever. I am terrified to die from this condition. I am afraid to take my asthma meds (Flovent and albuterol as needed). I am afraid to eat or make sudden movements. I don't want my heart to beat like this ever again, and I don't know what to do. I have never had anxiety like this prior to it beating fast. Since its been beating fast I have become terrified of another tachycardia attack.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2010, 05:31 PM   #2
    ritualangst
    (female)

ritualangst HB User
    Re: Anxiety or PSVT? Please help.

if your heart rate did come down with the ativan and your EKG's are all normal i would say it is most likely anxiety that causes your PSVT ~ i would try my best to get the cardiac consult done as soon as possible as there are medications that can help both with the anxiety and the PSVT ~ and don't not take your asthma meds ~ you don't want to add that problem on to your tachycardia and anxiety ~ keep the faith ~

Old 04-07-2010, 06:06 PM   #3
    3dachs
    (female)

3dachs HB User

I've had SVT since I was in the 7th grade. It was only recently diagnosed in 2003--caught on an EKG. I'm having some other "heart issues" at the moment--persistent sinus tachycardia--but when I figure this out I'm seriously considering going in for EP mapping and ablation (for SVT). I've been on Verapamil for 8 years and it helps slow it down once started but does not "fix" the problem. Your doctor can tell you based on an EKG if you have PSVT (SVT). If it's SVT there are promising treatment options. You might want to start a journal so you can see if there are any trends in your episodes. Mine always come on when I've been under a lot of stress.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:16 PM   #4
    3dachs
    (female)

3dachs HB User

Hi Lily, I'm new to this board. You are not alone. I'm hoping this group will provide me with some support and understanding. I'm 31 and am still going through a plethora of tests to determine what is causing my "normal sinus tachycardia." Prior to 3-4 weeks ago I thought my heart rate was normal (and was asymptomatic). Throughout the years, whenever I'd go to the MD my heart rate was always in the 80's... Well, I had a few panic attacks a month ago and my heart rate has been fluctuating ever since. I went to the MD, had a 24 hour halter monitor done and he told me I had episodes of "intermittent sinus tachycardia." I've pretty much stayed in a constant state of anxiety and stress--it has progressively gotten worse. In the last 3 weeks I've been to my PCP 2x, to an electrophysiologist, and just yesterday had myself admitted to the hospital for tests. I'm awaiting my test results. In the hospital I watched the telemetry monitor hop all over the place. Mentally and emotionally I'm a mess. I'm thin but have lost 14 lbs in 2 weeks due to no appetite and anxiety. I guess where I'm going with this is...I'm in the process of finding out for myself whether or not anxiety/stress can cause your heart rate to sustain higher rates. I can tell you that while in the hospital they gave me some Restoril and I knocked out cold. My heart rate dropped during those hours...the only hours I was truly at rest. I have taken Xanax and it did help drop my rate somewhat. However, my thoughts were still of panic/worry. I have let this consume my life. It is interfering with all aspects of my life. I will let you know what they tell me.
    I will tell you that I've had several MD's tell me that some people's hearts just beat faster and they go on to live happy, long lives. Problems arise if they have a heart condition or are having difficulties with symptoms (dizziness, fainting, etc.). Then treatment is about addressing the symptoms.

Old 04-24-2010, 02:09 PM   #5
    cschon
    (male)

cschon HB User

hello,

I have been dealing with the same thing and dont know what do sometimes. I dont want to even get up due to my heart rate rises, but when I sit it will go down. I think I had some stress the past couple of weeks, but dont know if that is what is causing my fast heart rates. I will wake up at night with a fast heart rate. The other night, I woke up and it felt like I was gringing my teeth, due to my mouth hurt and teeth and my pulse was up. not sure if this is all dream related waking up with fast heart rates. But the anxiety of it scares me more and during the day it is hard to relax sometimes. when i get up my heart beat rises, it weird, going to have a monitor in the next week for 24 hrs. They gave me xanax for the time being, is that helping you? i have also checking my pulse and it was not like this a couple weeks ago, I dont know if work is getting to me, i had a rapid rate at work and they called help. went to hospital, all blood was fine, they said ekg was fine. when i get up to stand or walk around my rate can go up to 110 or more and I think about it more and it stays. I am getting upset with with and want it to go away. Im starting to think its in the mind and im making myself do this subcon. hope you are doing well, any word back on the tests, how have you been dealing with your situation

Closed Thread