It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Derealization

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-13-2010, 02:42 PM   #1
    PAUSA
    (female)

PAUSA HB User
    Derealization

Hey everyone... I haven't posted for a while, it's been really busy, but I'm STILL having issues with my anxiety. Now my occasional derealization and dream like state along with lack of concentration and confusion has pretty much become a daily occurance. I've been getting migraines much more frequently, my heart palps have had me in a tizzy and now the derealization is just compounding the problem and making me feel even more crazy!! I'm seriously getting really sick and tired of this I don't even feel anxious 3/4 of the time when I get these feelings. I'm 26 years old and I'm tired all the time and ALWAYS complaining about some problem that I have or have created for myself through my health anxiety.

Does anyone have any recommendations at all on how to help calm the derealization? I've heard that magnesium and B vitamins help, but I'm not sure. Please help or offer suggestions. I feel like I'm going like this I have no option other than to get this under control because I'm not doing this to myself anymore. I just need some opitions. I've had so much stress the past couple of years that it's become continuous and is affecting me even when I don't feel stressed or anxious.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2010, 09:45 AM   #2
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
    Re: Derealization

I'm also very interested in this. I remember your past posts about this, and lately I've been struggling a lot with this too. I often do get confused about things because I feel a bit "out of it." I have been pretty forgetul too. I'm starting to wonder if the reason I feel this way is just due to my stress levels and feeling depressed. Earlier last year or so, I felt that it was mainly anxiety I was dealing with, but lately my depression has been coming back some. It's definitely frustrating, but there are some things going on in life with family that are making me pretty sad, so I expect this for a bit of time.

Do you take any medication? I take Prozac and I know it does cause a little bit of derealization for me, or at least I think it's the Prozac. I am looking into Wellbutrin right now... I've heard that it often gives you energy rather than make you tired, as Prozac will, so I wonder if it would help with the derealization. Do you know much about it? It can be SO hard to find the right meds!

Old 04-20-2010, 07:32 PM   #3
    ritualangst
    (female)

ritualangst HB User

i too had this especially in the middle of a full blown all out major panic attack ~ i would see myself but it was not me ~ i could look in the mirror at myself but it felt like i was looking at a stranger ~ as soon as the panic attack ended the derealization ended and i could see me for me again ~ strange and scary ~ now there will be times i'm doing something routine (making coffee or paying bills) and i'll think to myself "i don't know what i'm doing" and i feel confused and my concentration is gone and within 5 minutes i am having a panic attack ~ it's all related to the anxiety and panic so i have been focusing on that first "feeling" and i try to remove myself from what i'm doing and go outside and deep breathe and reorient myself to my surroundings and it has helped ~ but i do understand how you feel and it is indeed very frustrating ~ keep the faith ~

Last edited by ritualangst; 04-20-2010 at 07:33 PM.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:08 AM   #4
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I find that even when I am relaxed, I feel derealization. If I'm upset, I tend to feel a bit MORE like I'm there and can think, but when I'm relaxed, I often feel drunk of off in "la-la land." When I'm really anxious, I'd rather feel relaxed, even if things feel weird, but after a while it gets old. I hope to one day be able to feel relaxed AND have my mind in tune with the world!

Old 04-23-2010, 07:14 AM   #5
    PAUSA
    (female)

PAUSA HB User

See that's exactly how I feel too. I won't even be anxious and I'll have palpitations and derealization. It's terrible. I think that we don't think we're anxious, but it's one of those things that is always on the back of your mind. At least in my case I find that to be true. If it wasn't, when I had a palpitation or felt "spacey," I wouldn't even pay attention to the feelings or sensation, but of course I always do. That ends up causing more anxiety and feeds the cycle.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:44 PM   #6
    countrygardenmj
    (female)

countrygardenmj HB User

It helped me to understand that when I feel unreal, it's just my brain protecting itself from to much stress. Some people have a lower tolerance for stress than others. I believe this can change with help, but the more stressed out I get the more unreal I feel.
    I try to remember that this is only a symptom of my anxiety and it's time to calm my mind down. Mine tends to race with thoughts. I sit in my chair and deep breath and do something like count slowly backwards or say prayers, something that will take my mind of myself.
    The calmer I am, the more clearly I can think, but it takes practice and it's worth it.
    I'm not doing so well now though as I tend to forget to pick what I'm going to get upset about, but I have fears that overwhelm me at times.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:44 AM   #7
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

It's definitely a struggle.. I feel like if I AM feeling stressed and anxious, I feel very well alert and feel the most "real." When I'm calm and relaxed, that's when I tend to zone out and feel that things are "unreal." It's frustrating because I want to be able to find that perfect balance. Hopefully that will happen one day! countrygardenmj, it's interesting how you tend to feel the other way around, more focused and clear when calm! I'm not giving up.. and hopefully soon enough I can be that way. I notice that when I'm anxious enough to really get my adrenaline up, I feel my most alert. I just hate to have to feel so anxious too!

I really want to look into tweaking my medication soon. I hope this will help! Prozac has helped me a lot, but perhaps it's still not the perfect match for me. I'm really interested in Wellbutrin since it boosts energy levels, but I've heard that some people have increased anxiety with it. I might look into taking a combination of the two, since I heard that works for some. We'll see!

A lot of times I feel derealization when I feel depressed. I just am not myself and feel so "out there" but at the same time, when I feel happier, it can feel that way too. Overall I'd say that I'm pretty good with handling stress, or at least compared to others I am frequently around. I get bored very easily, so I like to keep myself busy and have a lot on my plate. I do admit that the past couple of months have been stressful more so for me. This is my first time losing a close loved one (to cancer, so it has been painful to watch them struggle and know I can't do anything to help) and I know it's getting to me. I'm using this time though to really appreciate all that I do have and to focus on making the best of everything!!

Old 05-01-2010, 03:30 PM   #8
    tmann3323
    (male)

tmann3323 HB User

I would like to ask you a few questions that might be able to help us understand what we are facing better.

When looking back to the time when this started, just think back to the month prior to all this started to happen was there anything unusual that happened. For example did you get a cold, a flu, feeling sick in any way? Did you go to any rural area like in the woods? Would you condiser that you have had considerable stress in your life prior to this? Are you the kind of person that is very exact on things? Do you smoke cigarettes? Do you grind your teeth when you sleep at night?

Do you ever feel your heart flutter, not palpitations (heart beating fast) but like the heart skipped a beat or contracted in a very strange way and shook you up for a second or two?

Do you get cramps on your toes? Do you ever feel sometimes as if your legs are not there? Do you ever feel your fingers bloated?

Please let me know if you have experienced any of the above.

My derealization started 5 years ago and after 3 years of no improvement, starting the beginning of the 4th year there was some improvement in terms of the frequency and magnitude of the derealization. I took different combinations of vitamin B, stayed away a much as possible from MSG, you might want to start from an elimination diet and see what foods make you feel the best, lighting may be a problem too. I have noticed many times when I go to IKea it brings on my derealization. If you wear contacts try not to wear them for 3 months and see how that helps. If you work with a computer or watch tv lurn the brightness as low as possible to be easy on the eyes.

I know its a lot but from my experience it helps and if can help you it is worth trying. If you know of anyone please copy this and give them this information It may be able to help them. If you come across anything that works please let me know. We need to help each other because the doctors do not seem to know what is going on. Anyone else who is reading this post reply we need to be proactive in the face of something that makes as feel we have not hope, please help others by provind any clues or anything that can help sufferers.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by msmod; 05-01-2010 at 04:24 PM.

Closed Thread