It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Muscle twitches because of anxiety??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-22-2010, 10:40 PM   #1
    Reckful
    (male)

Reckful HB User
    Muscle twitches because of anxiety??

During the day when I'm busy doing things, the only muscle twitch I notice is my left upper eyelid. At night when I'm laying down in my bed focusing all of my attention on muscle twitching, I really start to notice it and it gets me even more stressed out.

These muscle twitches are very minor. They are mostly in my legs, but I occasionally feel them in other places. It's a very small muscle that just begins to twitch randomly. I can't get a good night of sleep because all I do is sit up and worry about my muscle twitches. There is no muscle weakness or atrophy to accompany these twitches.

I'm 18 years old. I've had anxiety over thinking that I have a brain tumor for moving on 3 months now. I read online a while back about muscle twitching being a symptom of a brain tumor, and since I read that I say to myself "if my muscle twitches I have a brain tumor." Of course after that, I get muscle twitches to accompany my anxiety.

Is this normal?? I'm terrified beyond belief that this is a serious disease.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2010, 01:25 PM   #2
    hollygirl33
    (female)

hollygirl33 HB User
    Re: Muscle twitches because of anxiety??

Don't worry about the twitches, because off my anxiety, I had a eye lid twitch off and on for about 4 months, then it went into my legs and wherever else. I really think it's anxiety. I know when I'm more stressed or feeling real anxious I get the twitches. I to also thought I had some brain tumor or other health problems. But I don't, and I'm sure your fine too. You can always go to doctors and get yourself checked out to ease your mind. I did. .. Take care

Old 04-23-2010, 08:21 PM   #3
    Reckful
    (male)

Reckful HB User

I'm back in anxiety mode, because I'm laying in my bed right now, and just about 5 minutes ago my left leg (from my knee down to my foot) was twitching to the extent that it was giving me a very dull pain, but it was also making my lower leg move just a little bit.

It really is very hard to keep my mind at ease and get sleep when these things happen when I'm laying in my bed at night.

EDIT: I don't have any muscle weakness, atrophy or anything that would indicate that I have some serious illness.

Last edited by msmod; 04-24-2010 at 06:48 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Old 05-04-2010, 01:18 PM   #4
    jsellers1981
    (female)

jsellers1981 HB User

Hi. About three months ago I too started having a twitch in my left eyelid, right where the eyelashes are, after a bad pink eye infection. It twitches when I sneeze, touch my eyes, put a shirt over my head, etc. Recently I started noticing every little "jump" sensation that my body made especially lying in bed at night (that's when my anxiety is really bad) . I have been worried sick about MS even though I had an MRI last May and everything was normal. Somehow I allow my mind to tell me that the dr. was wrong and I know he missed something. It helps me to know that there are other people going through the same thing so I hope that my symptoms will help you to feel better. I also do not have any muscle weakness or pain. I am really starting to believe that anxiety and worry can make your body begin to experience physical sensations even when you aren't thinking about them. I was told that my thyroid levels are borderline but I do not have to be on any medication for it. I have even completely removed caffeine from my diet but my twitch still rears its ugly head almost everyday. It is not 24/7 at least. I think I would slice my eyelid off if that were the case! So now when one happens in the other eye, or arm, or leg I just watch it happen and try to tell myself that is my mind playing tricks on me.

Closed Thread