It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Anxiety Cause Of High Blood Glucose Levels?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-17-2010, 03:50 PM   #1
    colby88
    (male)

colby88 HB User
    Anxiety Cause Of High Blood Glucose Levels?

I've had anxiety for the past 20+ yrs. I recently had a check-up at my Dr.'s and he did some routine blood tests. All of them came back normal with the exception of my fasting blood glucose level. My level was 107 and the pre-diabetes range is 100-125.

I fit none of the criteria for diabetes and am very concerned about this result.
    I'm not overweight, I exercise daily, eat a healthy diet, and have always been athletic (completed 3 marathons) etc...

Since the result came back I've buttoned up my diet even more this past week and am waiting to hear what my Dr. says.

I did some research into anxiety and blood glucose levels and there is lots of info. out there to read. Could my over reactive "fight or flight" response as a result of anxiety be causing this?

Any ideas from others who may be experiencing the same readings would be helpful.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2010, 08:34 PM   #2
    GregP
    (male)

GregP HB User
    Re: Anxiety Cause Of High Blood Glucose Levels?

The same thing recently happened to me. I was very anxious leading up to the blood test, and almost left before they called me in. I even told the lady to hurry while she was drawing my blood. My doctor's office called a few days later, and said my blood glucose was extremely high, at a nearly diabetic level. I had a doctor's appoinment a week later, and he said that he could not understand why the blood glucose was so high that day, so he ordered an A1c test, which showed that my glocose level was normal the preceeding 3 months. I do believe that my stress/anxiety level was the cause of the high reading. I also run, eat well, etc. Reading about your experience helps me to know that I am not the only one. Take care.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:18 AM   #3
    colby88
    (male)

colby88 HB User

Thanks for your reply Greg. I'm curious if you did a fasting glucose test first and that was high or a random glucose test prior to actually having the A1c test?

I haven't heard back from my Dr. yet but I was thinking of suggesting to him that I also have the A1c test done to see the average glucose level of the past 3 months. I felt anxious at the lab when I had blood drawn because I was running late for another Dr. appt. The needle thing doesn't bother me but even so, I don't think it should affect the results that dramatically.

My fasting glucose has always been in the low 90's which isn't perfect but still within the normal range. Now at 107 I'm concerned!

Old 11-19-2010, 01:09 PM   #4
    GregP
    (male)

GregP HB User

I only had the fasting glucose test done once, and I guess the lab keeps the blood for a while, so when the Doctor saw the high glucose reading, he ordered them to do the A1c test from that same blood. I also had a Diabetic friend let me use his blood glucose meter about 2 weeks later when I was not anxious, and it read 94. I hope this helps....Greg

Closed Thread