It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Crazy Symptoms

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-19-2010, 05:13 AM   #1
    losing
    (male)

losing HB User
    Crazy Symptoms

Looking for some advice or maybe to find someone suffering similar ailments. I have been suffering for some time now with a strange and undiagnosed set of symptoms despite numerous tests. My sysmptoms seem to wax and wane and also rotate periodically. Just when one seems to get better, another seems to get worse. Below is my list of symptoms and frequency. I have had MRIs, CTs, X-Rays, Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, Countless bloodwork.

Head Pressure(At the base of the skull) - Almost constant. I get scary muscle contractions above my ears that makes my head feel like it is pulsating.
    Rushes of tension - I wish I could describe this one, but its like I get these rushes where I just tense up until I feel like im going to pass out.
    Stiff Neck,Jaw and Chest ( My neck sounds like rice krispies when I move it & my jaw pops) - Constant
    Dizziness - Not room spinning, but a lightheaded drunk, headache feeling. Worse when standing.
    Mild Nausea - Comes & Goes. This has been better lately
    Alcohol Intolerance - Alcohol makes the symptoms worse at first, unless I have 3 or more and then it starts to improve them or help me ignore them.
    Temperature Intolerance - I get cold very easy.

Eating or drinking too much causes the symptoms to get worse as does holding going to the bathroom. Being around smoke and or bright lights also.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My doctors are at a loss. Something is seriously messed up with me though.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2010, 01:06 PM   #2
    Jack-77
    (male)

Jack-77 HB User
    Re: Crazy Symptoms

These are all common symptoms of prolonged anxiety. Let me ask you something. The lightheaded thing. When your anxious or nervous do you notice your heart to start pounding and you get lightheaded when you stand up or sit up. I do that bad sometimes. I'll be laying down and I'll be extremely anxious or nervous and when I stand up or just sit up my heart will pound very hard and slow and I'll get lightheaded. Do you do this?

Old 11-20-2010, 05:51 AM   #3
    losing
    (male)

losing HB User

Yeah I've had that symptom. I find myself clenching my chest to keep from feeling the palpitation, which makes it worse. My symptoms seem to vary every few months. Some are there all the time like the head pressure, tension and the surges. It all generally starts within minutes of waking up and is there until I go to bed. There isn't a day that goes by where I feel normal. Being under stress makes it worse as does eating large meals I find. I'm not sure it is anxiety, but I've felt generally bad for almost 10 years now and it's getting progressively worse. The only thing I've ever been told is I have TMJ. My GP put me on Xanax(1mg/2mg) about 2 years ago. It didn't do anything for it, but I remained on it for 8 months to give it time to work. My tolerance built up and I ended up coming off it when he wanted to up the dose. Then I was put on Lexapro for 6 months, but again no change. Side effects with no benefit, so I came off. I don't have anxious thoughts, but I feel like my brain is exhausted and in combination with the pressure and dizziness I feel confusion somedays. Any of this familiar?

Old 11-20-2010, 05:13 PM   #4
    sportybears
    (female)

sportybears HB User

It def. sounds familiar to me. The lightheadedness is a constant with me too. So is shortness of breathe. I used to get palpatations daily, but after having an echo, ekg, holter moniter & stress test, all of which came back fairly normal (i do have an arythmeia) I rarely get them. I think having the tests gave me piece of mind that my heart is healthy & those the symptom went away. I do often get muscle tension & head pressure (like a band around my head) and a horrible rush of adrenaline/tension, that makes me feel like something terrible is happening. All I can say is you are not alone. Anxiety does so many strange things to us & causes so many physical symptoms. We have to try to learn to accept it and try to live a healthy lifestyle and find ways to manage stress and relax. Easier said than done unfortunatley.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:14 PM   #5
    littlehutton
    (female)

littlehutton HB Userlittlehutton HB Userlittlehutton HB User

Hi everyone,

I am sorry to but in here, but this post really caught my eye, and I just had to respond.

I have had all of the symptoms mentioned here for the past year, and I have been through a roller coaster of tests and investigations, even though I was told that my problems were caused by anxiety and depression.

I strongly felt this was never the case and as my symptoms got worse I realized that something just was not right.

After months of dismissive doctors and invasive tests, I have finally reached a diagnosis of Lyme Disease, which is a tick borne infection. It is a very serious condition, but is treatable, though the longer it is left the harder it becomes to eradicate.

Please understand that I am not a medical professional, and would not suggest that you all have Lyme disease, but specific symptoms that have been mentioned here are exactly what I have experienced.

Lyme is a very hard disease to diagnose as the tests are not very reliable, and the majority of doctors know very little about it, which is why it has taken me a year to get diagnosed. I spent months of doctors telling me my symptoms were caused by anxiety, and were in my head, but we all know our bodies better than any doctor right?

Best of luck

Last edited by msmod; 11-21-2010 at 04:45 PM.

Old 11-26-2010, 05:40 AM   #6
    losing
    (male)

losing HB User

What test confirmed your diagnosis?

Old 11-28-2010, 12:48 AM   #7
    TwinsFan
    (male)

TwinsFan HB User

You aren't alone. I feel the same way. The lightheaded thing is fairly new for me as is the head pressure. When it gets bad, I get a case of the "bobble head" where if you looked at me you might think I had Parkinsons.

I get the pressure at the base of skull as well. It is pretty constant. A new symptom that I have gotten from time to time is feeling as though I am losing consciousness as I am falling asleep. I will just be laying there drifting off and all of the sudden I feel as though I am passing out.

That happened today and I bolted upright and went out and played on the computer to try and get my mind off things. I was feeling pretty spacey and lightheaded and got the dry heaves. Over the course of the next hour, things came and went. I would feel like a million bucks for a minute and then start sweating profusely and dry heaving for a minute. It was odd. Not as bad as before I got on meds, but it still was bad.

One thing I need to work on is using alcohol as a crutch. This afternoon I went to the bar and downed 8 beers. I feel better when I drink. I feel normal. I don't miss a day of drinking. I have taken the "are you an alcoholic" test and I am borderline. I don't get hungover, I haven't missed a day of work in 11 years, and since my anxiety dissipates when I am drinking, it helps my social interactions.

I use alcohol like another medicine. It calms me down and helps me sleep. I know it is bad for me and contributes to me being heavier than I want and having high blood pressure. But I fear cutting out the booze will alter my chemical balance and throw me into another nervous breakdown situation.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:04 PM   #8
    losing
    (male)

losing HB User

I haven't ever had the losing consciousness thing when going to sleep. I feel like I am constantly tense in my head, neck & chest. It is exhausting living like this. I have been tested for Lyme disease and it was negative. I considered the iGenex testing, but hate to spend more money chasing long shots. My thing now is trying to determine if the anxiety is being caused by what ever it is afflicting my body or if the anxiety is truly the root cause of these symptoms. I have a hard time believing that these sensations in my head are anxiety related given their constantness. I also have been on multiple anxiety mess with no relief. I'm really lost, but I can't keeping living with this, I hate living at 20%.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:08 PM   #9
    littlehutton
    (female)

littlehutton HB Userlittlehutton HB Userlittlehutton HB User

Hi Losing

I was tested for Lyme 3 times here in the Uk and all 3 tests were negative, I eventually found an LLMD and got my tests done at IGINEX (they were sent to the states) and I tested positive for Lyme and the co-infection Batonella.

With your symptoms I would seriously consider getting tested at Iginex, everything you describe is exactly how I feel, and I went through months and months of doctors telling me I was suffering from anxiety. I honestly knew that although I was anxious, there was more to it than that, and after much research I soon realized that my symptoms were infact lyme disease. Knowing how unreliable testing was, I decided to go it alone and get properly tested, which thankfully paid off.

I dont know where you are from, but perhaps you could track down an LLMD in your area, these are the only doctors who know anything about lyme, and they can diagnose you on a clinical basis even if your test results are negative, as even Iginex are not perfect, and sometimes bring up false negatives.

I do wish you well and hope you get some help soon.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:31 PM   #10
    Coolt
    (male)

Coolt HB User

Almost all of these symptoms sound exactly like the symptoms Ive been having. I got tested for Lyme's disease and Bartonella and both came back negative. I think Ill ask my doctor about the more accurate test you had.
    I think a lot of my head symptoms and headaches could be from tension and TMJ. Hopefully everyone can find relief from these symptoms because its horrible to go through.

Old 11-29-2010, 05:16 AM   #11
    losing
    (male)

losing HB User

Little Hutton, I'm curious if the LLMD gave you any specific symptoms to look for that pointed specifically to Lyme? Was there a pattern to your symptoms?

Coolt, I have TMJ and I know the non-concious clenching def. causes some of the tension, but these head sensations(I wish I could better describe them) seem excessive for teeth clenching. Sometimes it feels like there is something in my head moving around.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:22 AM   #12
    Coolt
    (male)

Coolt HB User

Ya Ive had weird head sensations too. I had them so bad I went to the ER 3 times. Ill try to describe what Ive been feeling. It felt like my face and neck went numb, I felt like I was loosing my memory and couldn't think of words, I felt a weird rush of heat through my head sort of like it was a vein exploding, I was really off balance, I was having floaters and all light was bright, my veins were pounding, I had a sensation like something heavy was in my head and it felt like someone was squeezing something inside my head, I was really dizzy and felt like I was going to pass out or start spinning.

I still have a lot of these symptoms but Ive had an MRI and they said they saw a small amount of non specific white matter but nothing to be worried about. Now all I do is worry about the small non specific white matter. They said those could be from migraine headaches but Ive never gotten headaches like this before and had this many symptoms. I worry that I have something else.

Closed Thread