It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Drug of choice for treating GAD

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-04-2010, 10:06 AM   #1
    sealear
    (female)

sealear HB User
    Drug of choice for treating GAD

Hi, I was recently diagnosed with GAD. My doctor has suggested Lexapro and or Clonazepam for treatment. I have not started on either as I am afraid of side effects. I have always had worries about my health but they get worse as I get older....thus the diagnosis. I can't believe I have this disorder...it's as if my body is letting me down. I am trying to control it without medication but have been told it is chronic and don't know how long I can last without meds. I would greatly appreciate any insights about medications you all are taking for GAD or your suggestions. I would also love to hear about your symptoms. Thank you.

The following user gives a hug of support to sealear:
    Ktspirit4 (12-08-2010)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2010, 09:02 PM   #2
    Alpine82
    (male)

Alpine82 HB User
    Re: Drug of choice for treating GAD

Have you considered seeking a psychologist (not a psychiatrist or other MD)? They will be able to discuss alternatives other than medicine.

Read up on exercise & anxiety. There are a couple recent studies showing an exercise regimen to be as or more effective as drugs or psychotherapy. A combination of two or more methods is always an option as well. I took Celexa 20mg for months with no change in my mood, but adding psychotherapy and exercise has really helped.

The Following User Says Thank You to Alpine82 For This Useful Post:
    sealear (12-08-2010)
    Old 12-10-2010, 08:31 PM   #3
    Archimedis
    (male)

Archimedis HB User

I can relate to you and wish you the very best at overcoming this monster. I have suffered with this disorder for some time now and have tried a few different antidepressants as a result. I have tried Remeron (Mirtazapine), Celexa and Effexor XR (Venlafaxine). The remeron has a sleep agent in it which will help you sleep if your finding it hard to fall asleep at night. In my case I was scared to go to sleep thinking I wasn't going to wake up. I did have bad brain fog with this drug, since I attend mgmt. meetings this drug was not for me. The celexa made me feel like I was climbing out of my own skin so I had to stop taking this. Which leads me to the effexxor xr, this drug actually worked. There is a but though, I found that my temper became uncontrollable which was getting me into some trouble at work. Now keep in mind that everyone is different when it comes to medications, and you may not experience these side effects. There are many different drugs to try however I would ask that you discuss discontinuation symptoms with your family physician before starting a regiment. In my experience they seem to leave this part out. Relaxation techniques will be very helpful to you which your therapist will discuss with you at cognitive behaviour therapy sessions. Hang in there this is a great board and you will have lots of support from its members, best wishes and goodluck

Old 12-11-2010, 08:45 AM   #4
    sealear
    (female)

sealear HB User

Hi, thank you for your reply! I was wondering if you would share with me some of the physical symptoms you have from GAD. I was diagnosed in August and basically I just told the doctor how I worry, etc. He told me he believed I have GAD....which when I told a few of my other doctors his conclusion they all agreed. None of my doctors have actually told me what physical symptoms could be, etc. It's like, "oh, you have GAD, take these pills and call me in the morning". I have been told it is chronic and that I would feel better on medication......which I did start taking this week and I do feel better. But my confusion is around the physical symptoms one has. I've looked on line and found several links and I do have some of them.....but do they come and go....will there be times when everything is just wonderful? I hope I am trying to be clear. By the way, my GAD is from excessive worrying about my health. Right now my legs have been sore but seem to get better. It seems my muscles tingle (I guess that's the right word to describe it)...I tense up. I am going to my doctor in January for a physical and hopefully I will learn about this thing. Also, I don't know if I previously mentioned that I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in March....augh! I would really appreciate it if you and others could share there thoughts with me. Thank you.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:24 AM   #5
    Archimedis
    (male)

Archimedis HB User

Hypothyroidism you say.....me too, I was diagnosed with this one just last spring as well. What I can tell you is that I too am in a constant state of worry, from health issues to work related issues. Basically if there's something to worry about you can bet I will. I also deal with some physical issues as well like heart paliptations, butterflies in the pit of my stomach, mood swings, heart pounds like it's going to come out of my chest, and dizzy spells. I find that I mostly deal with my symptoms at night, I think that it is the calmness of the night that gets my brain racing and thinking about all the things that could happen. In my experience I have great days and some bad days, what has helped me get through this has been regular appointments with my therapist where we discuss cognitive behavioural therapy. I am taught relaxation techniques which help you get through the nasty times. If you google cognitive behavioural therapy relaxation techniques you can get these off the internet, they may seem corny but believe me it will get you out of the moment and into a much nicer place. Believe me when I tell you that it will get worse before it will get better. Keep in touch regularly with the people on this board for it will become very therapeutic for you as I have found. People who understand and can relate to you makes it that much easier to get on with your daily routine. Keep in touch and update us on how you are making out, are you currently seeing anyone besides your family physician?

Old 12-11-2010, 10:27 AM   #6
    Archimedis
    (male)

Archimedis HB User

I forgot to mention that as you get closer to your optimum level of TSH for your thyroid your anxiety symptoms should also get better for you. With me it has been a roller coaster of going from hypo to hyper, just takes a bit to zero in on the optimum level. A lot of trial and error, hope this helps.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:31 AM   #7
    sealear
    (female)

sealear HB User

Hi again, no I am just seeing my internist ... whom I really respect .... but just somewhat disappointed he didn't clue me in as to what to expect. Of course, I must admit I tend to not ask many questions either as I most likely don't want to hear any alarming answers or anything to make me worry about something new. I will definitely take your advice and hopefully that will help. Thank you so much...it is nice to know there are others out there with an open ear and heart. I get upset with my husband as he just rolls his eyes or grunts when I'm worried about something new. I told him I am sorry I am this way and that I don't want to be this way....it's more or less out of my control. I've asked him if he's even looked up what GAD means, etc. and he said no. I told him I wished he would so that he can get an inkling of what I am going through. Well, sorry to bend your ear. Have a great day!

Old 12-25-2010, 11:53 PM   #8
    Ktspirit4
    (female)

Ktspirit4 HB User

Asking how you are doing Sealear -Are your symptoms improved ? I well relate to 'the worry ' and what if' -

Old 12-26-2010, 10:28 PM   #9
    813roxy
    (female)

813roxy HB User813roxy HB User

I'm so sorry you are going thru this. Everyone is different when it comes to meeds. My best advice is to stay away from benzos. They are evil(very addicting). Best of luck to you.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:16 PM   #10
    sealear
    (female)

sealear HB User

Hi! Well, I am feeling somewhat better. I had my physical yesterday and all in all the doctor was quite pleased. I had some blood work done and the only thing "up" was my cholesterol .... which I was surprised, too, as it is never over 200 but we contributed it to holiday eating. My good and bad cholesterol was on target so he wasn't upset. My thyroid was on target. He still wasn't concerned about my legs....he seems to think it could be related to RLS, but I don't think so. We did discuss meds and he wanted me to increase my clomazepam to 2 mgs a day, taking lexapro and getting back on the hormone patch. Well, I had been taking 1 mg of clomazepam a day 1/2 in am and pm....so today when I took 1 whole pill I was like a walking drunk zombie. I started the lexapro, 1/4 pill. I haven't started the patch yet...that still scares me. I see him in 5 weeks to discuss the meds so if my legs are still bothering me, I will discuss more....unless I go back before then. So, that's it in a nut shell....thank you for asking. How are you doing? Hope to hear from you!

Old 01-20-2011, 01:19 AM   #11
    Ktspirit4
    (female)

Ktspirit4 HB User

I had the same feeling when i took the 1 mg too Seal-but you read as making progress and I know we need a lot of patience-my hubby too tunes out,,,lol. Kt

Old 01-20-2011, 07:36 AM   #12
    t_411
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

t_411 HB Usert_411 HB Usert_411 HB User

Hi Sealer... I was reading your post and I think you should have a look at mine on the anxiety boards called, "Lexapro for anxiety... My daily experience with it". I have thyroid issues as well that are up, down, normal and changing all the time. If you were hypo in the recent past, your cholesterol levels could be high due to that. It's one of the things hypo does to people. Mine are a little high now too. As for your husband, why don't you find a page on the net explaining GAD, that is short, sweet, & to the point, print it out, and make your husband read it. Tell him he doesn't have to like it, but you would like his support through this. I know for me, when times get bad, it's good to simply hear the words, "you're ok" (in a nice, calm voice) from my husband. I had to sorta coach him on the tone to use... You know how men can be... lol... Anyway, I'm a little nervy about taking meds too and I've started lexapro and a benzo as well. I keep the benzo for use only as needed except for the first few days of starting lexapro. I'm on day six of lexapro 5mg (taken at bed time so I sleep through the side effects) and I'm starting to feel pretty good. Hang in there, no matter what, you're ok and you can do this. Finding the right med can change your life for the better and side effects are temp. One good thing is for most, you're on the right med being lexapro... I've read it has the least side effects, and is the fastest acting. I'm not sure about 2.5mg... Is that what you're on? I'm pretty sensitive to meds.... and as long as I take 5mg an hour or so before bed, I don't feel any side effects other than a tiny bit of sweating.

Last edited by ms_mod; 01-20-2011 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Removed quote.Ms_Mod

Old 01-20-2011, 09:10 AM   #13
    sealear
    (female)

sealear HB User

Hi, good to hear from all of you! Yes, this medication stuff scares me. If you had told me a year ago I would be taking this stuff, I would have thought you were crazy. Anyway, if you don't mind, I thought I would tell you my routine with the meds....so far. I have been taking clomazepam...1/2 pill 2 times a day.....equals to 1 mg. Now, he wants me to take 2 mg a day....1 pill in am, other pm. Well, I hope the effects of the 1 mg in the morning calms down soon as I don't like feeling like that....just do not feel like myself.....how long did it take for you, Ktspirit? Then, I am taking 1/4 of a 10mg lexapro.....for 5 days, then will make it 1/2 pill for five days...and gradually build up to 10 mg. The pharmacist thought I could do it quicker than that. The doctor really thinks the hormone patch will help with my over all feeling better. He assures me that the risk of breast cancer, uterine cancer is very minimal....so, I will be starting on a low dose of that but I haven't decided when I want to do that. I was on it in September for two weeks and that's when the latest scare came out about breast cancer so I took myself off of it....also, that's when my leg started bothering me and I thought it could be a blood clot (side effect from the patch). Also, I thought the patch was really affecting my memory. T_411, you say you take your Lexapro at night? That never occurred to me, may I ask why? The doctor also said that after I feel better, I might be able to cut back on the clomazepam. Well, thank you for listening to me. this getting old stuff is not for sissies!

Old 01-20-2011, 09:52 AM   #14
    t_411
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

t_411 HB Usert_411 HB Usert_411 HB User

My dr said for me to take lorazapam at bed time and lexapro in mornings. I tried it that way... The lorazapam did help me sleep great but they are addictive so I prefer to only use it as needed (when i have anxiety rather than simply at bed time) because one of the withdrawl symptoms can be more anxiety from benzos.
    I never took lexapro in the morning.

I started it at 2pm. With the lexapro, about 3 or so hours "after" I take it I get really sleepy and tired for about 4 hours and then it passes and I felt normal. This happened to me every time I took it which is why I decided to take it a little bit before sleeping and so far the last 2 days of taking it at night I have not gotten those really sleepy spells cause I sleep though them at night. That's just how it's effected me and could be different for different people.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:09 PM   #15
    Ariyonna08
    (female)

Ariyonna08 HB User

I am the same way about my health mst be a gad thing, but hay i went through the same thing finding drugs and effexor was great for me but it is bad for you inthe long run ive been off for about a year and it actually made me worse, and have gotten lung disease and colitis from effexor. I donot reccomend this drug i would try multivitimins 5 htp and 5 pyridoxalphosphte. i would reccomend everyone go off medications and try vitamins. They only want our money they dont want to help us. Vitamins are great and they have some to cure everything. Good luck

Closed Thread