It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• I need a recommendation for meds for anxiety due to a certain event/situation.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-24-2011, 08:46 PM   #1
    PSPGamer44
    (male)

PSPGamer44 HB User
    I need a recommendation for meds for anxiety due to a certain event/situation.

"I need a recommendation for meds for anxiety due to a certain event/situation."

I usually get paid at this place for donating plasma. But due to an off event with my vitals. It caused me to freaked out and then I over worried about my vitals. Which causes more events over and over and over again. Which I can't stop.

Now I can't pass my blood pressure test. Because my heart elevates and my blood pressure increases, right as the blood pressure cuff is inflating and taking the test.

It's been over 6 months and I cant fix the problem. I tried slow deep breaths, distractions, nothing. It doesn't work. I tried herbal medication.

So I want to try real medication. I heard paxil helps with anxiety disorders, and beta blockers, depending on the dose can help block adrenaline. Or does anyone have any other recommendations?

I think it's like this, when my subconscious knows I have entered the territory where I constantly stressed a great deal about 24/7 because its always in the back of my mind. It has no choice but to increase my heart rate and make me hypertensive. Even if I am calm. Or I'm trying breathing exercises.

If anyone can help me, or have any recommendations for medications that can fix this, let me know. I'll see if I can get them from a doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2011, 01:38 AM   #2
    wwwgirl
    (female)

wwwgirl HB Userwwwgirl HB Userwwwgirl HB Userwwwgirl HB User
    Re: I need a recommendation for meds for anxiety due to a certain event/situation.

I believe you should tell your doctor exactly what you told us. He/she will recommend the best medication for you.

The Following User Says Thank You to wwwgirl For This Useful Post:
    PSPGamer44 (01-25-2011)
    Old 01-25-2011, 02:02 AM   #3
    PSPGamer44
    (male)

PSPGamer44 HB User
    Re: I need a recommendation for meds for anxiety due to a certain event/situation.

Alright, although I'm worried that the medication won't work. And I'll be wasting my money on it. Plus, then I would have to keep taking it. Anybody have experiences with the same problem?

I actually tried to explain this to him the first time I went there. I don't think he seems to care about giving me medication to fix this problem. Especially due to a situation. (I mean he did care, he seemed to agree. But he just didn't recommend any anxiety medicine for me, for some reason)

He only wants to give me medicine for high blood pressure. But the cause is anxiety. Should I be asking for specification medication for him to give me? Or should I tell him the problem and wait for him to give me a recommendation for a specific medication. I get the feeling he won't give me medication when he could just tell me to avoid the situation, but then again, I could get paid more money. I guess I could really really force him to give me a medication for anxiety.

Maybe this time I should really really ask him for a specific medication instead of explaining the problem. So any you can recommend?

Last edited by msmod; 01-25-2011 at 04:54 AM. Reason: Removed quote. Ms_Mod

Old 01-25-2011, 09:46 AM   #4
    MaryA
    (female)

MaryA HB UserMaryA HB User

Is your blood pressure high when you're not donating??? I had a similar experience donating plasma except it was not from them taking my blood pressure. They actually didnt do that after my 1st visit, but i would lay there and get hot flashes over and over and chills and shake, and afterwards i was lightheaded walking. Then the day came when the machine took my blood out before seperating the plasma and the machine broke. They couldnt get my blood back in so they gave me crackers and made me lay there. I ended up having a panic attack when i left, and never went back. I know i was over nervous about doing it and i know it was anxiety, nobody else flipped out like I did. You need to make it clear to your Dr. whats going on. I'm still curious to know your blood pressure now.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:09 PM   #5
    PSPGamer44
    (male)

PSPGamer44 HB User

Nah, my blood pressure is fine. I actually eat well, exercise, practically every day of my life. It's just anxiety, anxiety of passing my blood pressure test at the donation center, and at the doctors. But the anxiety is more extreme when I try to pass it at the donation center. The pulse increases.

I had that happen once also(where I couldn't get my blood back). But I didn't have a panic attack. I just took a month break from going back there. And when I came back there, everything was fine, and I was still able to pass my blood pressure test.

This problem happened months later because one day I couldn't donate because of my temperature. That upset me so much, I worried about it. Because usually there was an explanation for it, because it was cold out. But it was in the summer time. And I don't know why my temperature was under 96.0. So I worried about it, extremely bad. So the next time I went in, I sat in there 20 mins trying to warm myself up and worry about it.

So when they took my vitals, they had the blood pressure cuff and thermometer in my mouth at the same time. I was nervous about my temperature. So I noticed my heart started racing. And I had to retake my blood pressure. I freaked out about it, trying to tell myself to calm down. Next thing I knew, I couldn't pass my blood pressure test.

Then I started worrying about my blood pressure. Then the next time I went in, it happens again, my heart rate shoots up. And my blood pressure goes up. Then it happens again, and again and again. Like an unending event cycle.

Could this be like post traumatic stress disorder?

Should I go on a beta blocker anyways? Because I'm stressed about this and stress does raise blood pressure 24/7. Or what anxiety pills? What medications fit my problem?

Old 01-25-2011, 02:39 PM   #6
    writeleft
    Inactive
    (female)

writeleft HB User

My advice would be to stop the donations. There must be other ways for you to earn money that does not send you into a state of panic and high blood pressure.

Most doctors will not respond to a patient trying to force them to do anything. Have you been seeing the same doctor for some time? Once you have a good relationship with your doctor, it is easier for them to give you the proper medications.

In my case, one of my doctors recommended that my primary care doctor treat me for my anxiety. I then went to my primary and simply told him I was experiencing severe anxiety, but on a regular basis. He was happy to treat me. I use xanax .25 as needed. That has been very helpful to me, but my doctor chose the medication, not me.

Perhaps you can do the same thing. Simply ask your doctor for treatment for anxiety. See what he/she suggests for you. I would not go into the whole story about donating...that is too much. Doctors usually allow about 10 minutes per patient for regular appointments, so keep that in mind. Do not spend 15 minutes on a story. Instead just ask for treatment and let the doctor do the rest of the talking. Listen quietly and accept his/her decision.

Good luck

Old 01-25-2011, 07:16 PM   #7
    PSPGamer44
    (male)

PSPGamer44 HB User

Writeleft, nah, I won't run away from my problem. I never give up. That is not how I was brought up. Even if I didn't make money, it still bothers me, that other people can do it. I can still fix this, as bad as it seems. There maybe a 1 in a million chance I can still pass. And then everything in my mind will go back to normal.

As for your advice for the doctor, that's good advice. My blood pressure problem is related to anxiety. So treat anxiety. So I'll just say that, then I don't need to go into a pointless boring story.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:55 PM   #8
    writeleft
    Inactive
    (female)

writeleft HB User

Good for you! Getting over the anxiety related to having your BP checked is important, as throughout life you will need to have your blood pressure checked at every doctors appointment. Managing our BP is very important, thus keeping track of it is imperative.

I might suggest that you purchase a home blood pressure machine. That way you could learn to take your own BP at home, without the pressure you feel when you are at the donation center.

I am a person who has been battling my BP since I was quite young, my 20's in fact. Just getting an accurate BP would be a good first step, and without the worry of being able to donate it is likely that you could overcome your severe anxiety about it. Once you are able to take your own BP, then you could go back and try to do the same with someone else doing it for you.

When taking BP at home, it is best to have been sitting down at rest for a good 10 minutes, be relaxed and do not cross your legs during the test, or talk or move. This is for the best reading. Take you BP twice a day, in the morning and again at night. While you are practicing, you can do a few more readings, but spaced out over the day. I write mine down in a little notebook including the date time and readings. Variations are common as many factors play a part in your BP. Of course, as you know, anxiety can completely throw your BP off.

I know you can overcome this, with a little work on your part. What do you think of this idea?

Old 01-26-2011, 04:16 PM   #9
    jonnstar
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

A beta blocker or diazepam (valium) would probably help, either alone or together, if taken an hour before your appaointment, but is it absolutly nessecery for you to continue doing the donations? it would seem that the easiest way to cure the problem would be to stop donating.

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 01-26-2011, 07:08 PM   #10
    glasstech
    (female)

glasstech HB User

Commonly used for stage fright

Buspar

easy on your body and will help with heart rate,BP and anxiety as well

Old 01-27-2011, 12:34 AM   #11
    PSPGamer44
    (male)

PSPGamer44 HB User

@writeleft, yeah. I actually already do that. I just recently checked it, and to my disappointment it was 159/67. I didn't think it was accurate because I think I had it too tight on my arm. And I had my arm backed up too far(not stretched out and relaxed). Every time I do it that way, it seems my blood pressure sky rockets. So I took it again 5 minutes later with my arm outstretched and this time relaxed. It was 135/75. Which still kind of pisses me off, because I know 135 is in the prehypertensive range.

Or maybe it's excitement that raises my blood pressure. Even if I feel happy and not stressed out. Maybe it's just excitement. Because I do eat healthy, and exercise. So there is no other reason for my blood pressure to be high.

@jonnstar, alright, thanks for your suggestions. And yes, it is necessary to do donations, because I can make a fast $20 in 1 hour. There are no other ways to make $20 in 1 hour. I checked. Doing internet surveys and stuff. You barely make a penny. Curing a problem by running away is not curing the problem. It only leads to more problems in the future, where you run away from more stuff.

@glasstech, thanks for your suggestion. It's too bad people need prescriptions for this stuff. I would love to trial and error stuff without having to use a doctor. It's so annoying.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:02 AM   #12
    jonnstar
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

In that case, try a beta blocker such as propanolol before your appointment.

If this doesnt help, try 5mg Valium, both alone, and with propanolol.

A prescription will be required for either of these.

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Last edited by msmod; 01-27-2011 at 04:10 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary comment. Ms_Mod

Old 01-27-2011, 08:18 AM   #13
    Kieren
    (male)

Kieren HB User

Hi, in my own opinion you do not need medication as Anxiety has it's own input and output and medication will just make you worse I know because I was (still) a victim of Anxiety and when you know you're on medication you feel that your going to be ok and your attached by that all through your life, as a simple way to cure the symptoms is not by medication.

Do not drink coffee
    Reduce high energy intakes
    exercise
    lot's of sleep

These are the only medication you will need and trust me it's much better than you taking medication from the doctors/chemist, Anxiety comes from a natural cause and should be released in natural ways, a much better diet will show you.

Last edited by Kieren; 01-27-2011 at 08:19 AM.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:41 PM   #14
    writeleft
    Inactive
    (female)

writeleft HB User

If you have labile hypertension, as I do, your blood pressure will be highly affected by stress, mood, pain, many things. When that it the case, it is best if we can reduce as many triggers to our BP as possible.

Exercise works, meditation, yoga, and the power of positive thinking work very well at minimizing the fluctuations in BP. Of course, minimizing stimulants such as coffee, soda and alcohol and sodium help as well. The more steady you can become in your reactions to everyday things, the better.

Since my anxiety was one of the triggers that left me dangerously high bp, and I have already had 4 strokes from hypertension and am in end stage renal failure, managing my anxiety was one piece of the puzzle that I needed help with to avoid further damage to my organs, and future strokes.

Minor anxiety is one thing, but when you life is at stake, medication is called for. It depends very much on the individual. That's where the doctor comes in.

Those who refuse the idea of any medication are likely not fighting for their life. It is impossible to use the same treatment for every single person.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:56 PM   #15
    sher12
    (female)

sher12 HB User

I needed help too, after a traumatic event. First, Xanax seemed to be the answer, stay away from it. If you run out, you will suffer serious withdrawals. My doctor prescribed CLONAZEPAM. I found relief immediately with it. I take one 2mg twice a day. I am about to ask him for more because PMS, stress, etc. causes me to take an occassional two instead of one and I always run short. It works!

I'm sorry that you have to deal with this, especially due to an event. I hope you find relief soon, I've decided that if I have to take all these meds to survive life, then that's what I have to do, I quit telling people what I take...too many naysayers out there who judge.

Sher12

Closed Thread