It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Xanax

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-25-2011, 02:40 PM   #1
    singact
    (female)

singact HB User
    Xanax

What have your doctor's told you about Xanax? I've heard something different from every doctor. Some tell me to take it as much as I need and others say don't take it at all.

If I'm taking one .25 a day, will I build a tolerance/will this become problematic?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2011, 08:15 PM   #2
    jonnstar
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User
    Re: Xanax

0.25mg per day is a very low dose, and iny problems from this are unlikely

Xanax can be habit forming, but i suspect that the dose you're using is too low for dependance to develop. To be safe, if and when you stop it, cut down to half a pill per day for a week or so before stopping it totaly

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

The Following User Says Thank You to jonnstar For This Useful Post:
    singact (04-27-2011)
    Old 04-27-2011, 12:10 AM   #3
    Jagraal
    (male)

Jagraal HB UserJagraal HB UserJagraal HB UserJagraal HB UserJagraal HB UserJagraal HB User

i'm so sick of doctors badmouthing xanax. if you check any forum, or ask a collection of ppl that suffer w anxiety you'll probably see xanax come up as the leading drug that helps. Xanax is addictive in the same way that beer or wine is. If you have a drink each day, you're probably fine. If you have 10 drinks each day for 10 years, you're probably addicted.

i've been on xanax as needed for 20 years or more. Sometimes there are months i don't take any. There was a period when i needed it for 3 months every day, .50 4 times each day. i had absolutely no issue coming off it and it probably saved my life. i really dislike medication, period, but this drug has helped me immensely.

i wouldn't worry Sing. .25 is a very low dose.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jagraal For This Useful Post:
    singact (04-27-2011),Vocrinthedes (12-19-2011)
    Old 04-27-2011, 09:09 AM   #4
    singact
    (female)

singact HB User

Thank you! That's very reassuring!

Old 04-28-2011, 02:19 PM   #5
    velia
    (female)

velia HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Xanax

Glad to hear cause i have been on it for a while but like you i don't need it everyday.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:03 AM   #6
    Vocrinthedes
    Inactive
    (male)

Vocrinthedes HB UserVocrinthedes HB UserVocrinthedes HB UserVocrinthedes HB User

I've been taking xanax and 25 mg atenolol per day for 8 years. I've gone from 1 mg to 3 or 4 mg of xanax a day - 0.5 mg once or twice during the daytime, 1 mg in the evening and 1 or 2 mg at night (all depending on my anxiety level and blood pressure).

Since xanax is very short-acting, dosing is quite inconvenient and tricky since it needs to be done several times a day to avoid going into unpleasant withdrawal. The only "advantage" is that there is no hangover with xanax - when it wears off, wham! It's almost instant. If I'm asleep, I wake up right away, wide awake, too often anxious, when it wears off.

There is an extended-release xanax (generic too), but I don't like being unable to control the dose with it - once you've downed a pill, you're stuck with that dosage for up to 12 hours, and you can't adjust how much is in you for all that time - sometimes it's more than you need and you can feel too groggy, but you just have to wait it out.

I started xanax with a baseline of G.A.D. (generalized anxiety disorder) and a tendency to sudden panic over even minor events, as well as genetic high blood pressure. Xanax was the first drug that stopped the painful anxiety and the exaggerated panic cold, as well as quickly lowering my BP to a safe range. ARBs have little effect on my BP anymore; beta blockers slow a fast pulse and stop any trembling but don't seem to affect my BP directly; ACE inhibitors are more effective on BP but can take a while and leave me with a groggy hangover; xanax lowers my BP to normal within an hour.

As for the other popular benzo, more than 0.5 Klonopin makes me feel like a zombie - dulled senses, lethargic, dysphoric - but it does last longer than xanax. In contrast, xanax makes me feel drowsy (how much so depending on the dose), but does not dull my senses or intellect as much.

A reputable psychiatrist and my family doctor said separately that a person with genetic anxiety often benefits from a long-term low dosage of something like xanax or another benzo to manage a genetic flaw -- like insulin for diabetes, lithium for bipolars, etc. I certainly don't like this concept, but accept it...for now. At this point, I am very much dependent on (addicted to?) xanax, which I don't like to be at all. I'm hoping to gradually wean it much lower than 4 mg a day.

Since I'm soon to retire and live a less stressful life <knock on wood>, I'm already trying to gradually taper my dosage down. I plan to wean as far as I can safely go. As said elsewhere, DO NOT GO COLD TURKEY FROM A BENZODIAZEPINE - it could be agonizing and even life-threatening. When tapering down, constantly monitor your blood pressure and your stress levels - don't push yourself too fast because it could be physically dangerous.

All my best,
    Vocrin

Last edited by Vocrinthedes; 12-20-2011 at 08:12 PM. Reason: To be more precise

Closed Thread