It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Anxiety and Wellbutrin SR

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-19-2011, 08:44 PM   #1
    Ruby3
    (female)

Ruby3 HB User
    Talking Anxiety and Wellbutrin SR

Hi all,

I'm curious to know if anyone has experienced a decrease in anxiety while taking Wellbutrin SR as compared to XL. I was taking Wellbutrin, 450mg, since January 2007-- I've got depression and anxiety. I decided to try to ween off because it was making my anxiety go through the roof, but it was a disaster, so I've been at 300mg of XL for about two months now, and I think I'm going to stay there. Accidentally I ended up getting 150mg SR pills instead of XL last time I got a refill, along with 300mg XL- which, might I add, is really stupid because taking both together would mess up the levels in your system over a 24 hour period. Anyway, I held on to them, and I'm glad I did. I ran out of the 300mg XL's and just couldn't get to the pharmacy because it's not that close; so I started taking 150mg SR twice a day figuring it would be the same dosage. I did this for about 10 days and then got a new XL prescription... and I noticed over the past 3 days since I've been back taking the XL's I'm an anxious disaster, but when I was taking the SR I felt way more relaxed, and way more social, which is odd because I'm incredibly socially anxious. Has anybody else experienced a decrease in anxiety from SR? I've heard of people saying the opposite, that XL causes less anxiety.. maybe I'm just an odd ball?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2011, 10:04 PM   #2
    SookiesNique
    (female)

SookiesNique HB User
    Re: Anxiety and Wellbutrin SR

Hello. I've been prescribed Wellbutrin XL, but I also have an anxiety disorder, I believe that I have become depressed simply from having to deal with physical symptoms related to anxiety. I have been having a really hard time admitting that to myself but I really want to just fix it already. I was originally prescribed Effexor XR but I had a super attack on the first day after the first dose. The doc I spoke to told me that the "Norepi" drugs like Wellbutrin XL are not very good for anxiety. Effexor is supposed to be for both depression and anxiety, because it hits Norepi, serotonin, and dopamine receptors but it didn't seem that way. I had a horrible attack that woke me from a nap on it. I'm wondering if I should give it another chance or just let it go.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:17 PM   #3
    Ruby3
    (female)

Ruby3 HB User
    Re: Anxiety and Wellbutrin SR

Wellbutrin in general is pretty bad for anxiety, but it's helped my depression a lot... sadly though, since I'm on a decreased dose I do feel a little depressed- but a lot less anxious, so I think I'll just float here for a while. I also take Buspar, 30mg 2x daily, which definitely has taken the edge off the anxiety, but doesn't make it go away. Though, with most psychotropics, the beginning is bad. When I started Wellbutrin for the first few weeks I felt hopped up on caffeine all the time and couldn't sleep... but it eventually settled down. Maybe give Effexor another try? Or maybe you should try Wellbutrin SR? That might be better to try first-- since you're on the XL it won't be a huge change for your body. Your body does need time to adjust to any med though, and I'm sure anxiety attacks can be a side effect of the neurotransmitters balancing out and what not. Good luck!!

Last edited by Ruby3; 05-19-2011 at 10:19 PM. Reason: typo

Closed Thread

Tags
    anxiety, wellbutrin