It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Fear of flying!! I have to get on a plane.. Help!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-03-2011, 03:43 PM   #1
    rhsimages
    (female)

rhsimages HB User
    Red face Fear of flying!! I have to get on a plane.. Help!!

Help!!! I have not been on a plane in 19 years... I used to love to fly until I got stuck on 2 planes for a total of 11 hours in Hurricane Andrew in 1992.. I have not been on a plane since..I am not so much afraid of flying but the feeling of being trapped and not able to get off the plane so I think it is a control thing.
    Over the past 19 years I developed anxiety and at times get mild attacks. I have prescribed 0.5 mg of zanex but only take as needed and not that often.
    My problem is that I promised myself I would get back on a plane and this is my year. I am thinking of flying from nyc to boston on jetblue as the flight is only about 1 hour 15 min and actual in airtime is approx 22 min..
    My main problem is the "what if's".... what if I get anxiety once on the plane? I plan on taking a zanex and or having a cocktail or both- lol. Im even thinking of purchasing the seat in the first row with more leg room and or even the seat next to me so I could be first off and last one on... Im sure once I am sedated (lol) I will be fine but the 'what if" is keeping me from buying the ticket and I want to go next month..
    Please help! Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.. thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2011, 06:23 AM   #2
    Ms_T
    (female)

Ms_T HB UserMs_T HB User
    Re: Fear of flying!! I have to get on a plane.. Help!!

I too am afraid of flying both the flying part and the being trapped in the plane part. I have not flown in about 12 years. I think your plan is a really good one, to take a short flight the first time to get used to it. I also think getting the front row may make you feel a little better. Is it possible to tell the airline or the flight attendants that you are a nervous flier so they can help you out? I am not sure if this makes you feel better or worse but I think it would help me.

Good luck and good for you even thinking about conquering this fear.

Ivy

Old 10-13-2011, 02:59 PM   #3
    rhsimages
    (female)

rhsimages HB User

hi ivy
    thanks for your reply... my best friend, also Ivy, told me the same thing lol.. well, I made the first step and bought the ticket!! I also bought the first room extra room seat and hope I dont freak out! I am tourmenting myself by looking at videos at the interior of a jetble plane, then I see how small it looks and get anxious. Im sure I will be fine as I will be taking zanex as prescibed bu a doctor. Im just scared that I will start to get "edgy" on flight and by the time more zanex would kick in I will hae landed!
    thanks again

Last edited by ms_mod; 10-13-2011 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Removed banned word. If a word or words show up like this *** in your post, use of that word is banned on this website.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:33 PM   #4
    FM927
    (female)

FM927 HB User
    Smile Re: Fear of flying!! I have to get on a plane.. Help!!

I just read your post and although it was posted almost a month ago, I felt it needed a reply from me.

I know exactly how you feel about flying. I did not get in a plane for 14 yrs. and not because I was afraid of something happenng to the plane, NO, I was afraid of something happenng to me!

Thought like " What is going to happen when they close the doors?
    What is going to happen if I want to get out?
    What is going to happen when I start feeling sick?
    I am sure you can imagine other scenarios!

Well, with the help of Xanax I have flown many times after that with no problem. Actually I was able to fly to Europe after 25 yrs. and I was OK with 10 mg. of Valium.

The problem really happens right after I make my reservation, when I visualize all the above scenarios in my head, and I feel such panic coming on, at the thought of getting on that plane!

I can tell you from experience that it can be done! Take things with you that will keep you occupied, such as an Ipod, a book, a deck of cards, anything that won't make you aware of where you really are.

By the way, I have also flown without taking any thing and I was able to do it and so can you!
    Jetblue is the best with their TV's and music.

Mena

Last edited by ms_mod; 10-31-2011 at 05:10 AM. Reason: Removed quote. Ms_Mod

Old 10-31-2011, 04:28 PM   #5
    rhsimages
    (female)

rhsimages HB User

Thanks so much for your post.... The day is approaching, nov 10th and I am starting to get the 'what ifs" daily.... I am thinking about all the scenerios you stated. I even check the website for my plane seating every few days to see how many people are sitting near me and or in my section. so far, there is nobody next to us so that is making me feel alittle better- lol
    I did however get anxious when I saw that the only other person so far in our section is right behind me ( what if I start frecking out alittle then someone will see) ok,,, how dumb is that?
    I really would need my own private plane lol:-) to feel totally at ease..
    So , as I stated I plan on taking zanax and will probably start at a low dose the week that I am leaving. i am trying not to think about it however I live and work right near JFK and see planes at low altitude evvery 5 minutes so hard not to...
    you are my hero as far as what you accomplished and all I could say is I hope to follow in your footsteps! when did you take the zanax? I am thinking alot about the unrealistic lack of air as when I get attacks I immediatly need fresh air. As for keeping busy when I am in that moment I cant really focus on anything so hopefully it wont get to that point. Did you feel anxious at all? Thanks again-

The following user gives a hug of support to rhsimages:
    FM927 (11-01-2011)
    Old 11-01-2011, 11:45 AM   #6
    mamasnug
    (female)

mamasnug HB Usermamasnug HB User

I don't like flying either. I'd do the Xanax, you might need more than you normally take, I did when I went for an MRI. Can you bring one of those hand-held fans with you, the battery operated ones, you can blow it on your face if you feel suffocated? Also, and this was a tip from someone doing a colonscopy, she puts a dryer sheet under her nose when she drinks that yucky stuff before a test. Since the inside of the plane smells like gas to me, and it makes me anxious, I was thinking of using one on my next flight ! I could keep smelling it and get rid of that gas smell in the fuselage. Also, you can get up and go to the bathroom if you're afraid others might notice. I might go for a less crowded flight, or a night flight, where your body will be tired anyway and there's less people on the plan. For me, my fear that others will see that I'm freaking out makes my freaking out way worse. Case in point, the MRI, which I was so embarassed I wanted to cry and run. If you don't like dryer sheets, try something else that you can stash in your purse and smell, some kind of essential oil or mint or something strong. Heck, even Vicks would work! I'd also bring a headset with music and plug in as soon as I boarded. Once you get through this flight, you'll be really proud of yourself. Stack the deck in your favor!

Old 11-01-2011, 12:50 PM   #7
    FM927
    (female)

FM927 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhsimages View Post
    Thanks so much for your post.... The day is approaching, nov 10th and I am starting to get the 'what ifs" daily.... I am thinking about all the scenerios you stated. I even check the website for my plane seating every few days to see how many people are sitting near me and or in my section. so far, there is nobody next to us so that is making me feel alittle better- lol
    I did however get anxious when I saw that the only other person so far in our section is right behind me ( what if I start frecking out alittle then someone will see) ok,,, how dumb is that?
    I really would need my own private plane lol:-) to feel totally at ease..
    So , as I stated I plan on taking zanax and will probably start at a low dose the week that I am leaving. i am trying not to think about it however I live and work right near JFK and see planes at low altitude evvery 5 minutes so hard not to...
    you are my hero as far as what you accomplished and all I could say is I hope to follow in your footsteps! when did you take the zanax? I am thinking alot about the unrealistic lack of air as when I get attacks I immediatly need fresh air. As for keeping busy when I am in that moment I cant really focus on anything so hopefully it wont get to that point. Did you feel anxious at all? Thanks again-
    OMG! We're almost neighboors! I live about 15 mi. away from JFK.
    Never met anyone who lives so close to me.

It would be great if we could talk on the phone.

don't think about the "what ifs" ! If you are flying for an happy occasion , just focus on that. Going to Las Vegas was what got me in a plane after 14 yrs. Since then, with or without the help of meds I have flown more times that I can count. Will you be sitting in an aisle seat ot Window? I always used to do window, but then I realized aisle is much better, it does not make you feel trapped in a corner.

Mena

Old 11-01-2011, 05:27 PM   #8
    rhsimages
    (female)

rhsimages HB User

wow,,, those are great ideas... especially the fan.. will they allow that on a plane? as for the smell,,, I havent been on in so long I didnt even think of that.. oh great,, another issue. only kidding,, will bring something to sniff just in case. I am sitting window seat as I like to look out.. thanks again. im sure I will repost next week for some more reassurance as the date approaches,, thank again

Old 11-01-2011, 05:29 PM   #9
    rhsimages
    (female)

rhsimages HB User

thanks for the hug i could use one

Old 11-01-2011, 05:37 PM   #10
    rhsimages
    (female)

rhsimages HB User

hi mena.... thanks for all your advice.. I am sitting window seat cause i used to like to look out and be distracted... I hope i picked the right location but i guess i will see... we arent going for any occassion just a short little trip ( i hope) to get me back in the air... im sure your a lovely person but I am always nervous to give out my phone number.. hope you understand.. it is funny that you live so close though and can relate to jfk.... are you in queens?

Old 11-02-2011, 06:26 AM   #11
    FM927
    (female)

FM927 HB User

Quote:
    hi mena.... thanks for all your advice.. I am sitting window seat cause i used to like to look out and be distracted... I hope i picked the right location but i guess i will see... we arent going for any occassion just a short little trip ( i hope) to get me back in the air... im sure your a lovely person but I am always nervous to give out my phone number.. hope you understand.. it is funny that you live so close though and can relate to jfk.... are you in queens?
    No problem! Have a wonderful trip and don't worry everything will be fine. You will live to talk about it! LOL

Old 11-03-2011, 06:51 AM   #12
    mamasnug
    (female)

You might need to ask about the fan. If not, buy and old fashion one or use a magazine. Sorry to mention the smell pine or rosemary or lavendar would work too and you can easily take some in different baggies and try them out. We have these fans we got from Disney that mist water too, you can select what you want, mist or just air. If you do not put any liquid in it, it might pass X-ray. I am not sure and I would hate for you to lose it to security. Do your best to keep the senses occupied: sight, smell, hearing and after takeoff, try to take a few distractions away and see how you manage. You might find a flight attendant that looks nice and tell her about how you feel, she, or he, will keep an eye on you and it might be nice to know you have someone watching with care. I think I would go for an isle seat so I could get up. Once you are in the air, you should be ok. Good luck!

Old 11-03-2011, 07:33 AM   #13
    FM927
    (female)

FM927 HB User

Quote:
    You are right, I am a lovely person! LOL!! I am a Realtor, I live in Queens ( Bayside) with my husband and daughter.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:06 AM   #14
    mamasnug
    (female)

I like to watch the clouds too. It is so beautiful up there, no matter what you feel inside, you can't take away the fact that the view is so awe-inspiring. I like to fly so I catch a good sunset and then watch the cities fade into shadows and tiny specks of lights, it's just amazing to see "us" doing our thing, we look so small. Enjoy the view. Smile.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:51 PM   #15
    FM927
    (female)

FM927 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mamasnug View Post
    I like to watch the clouds too. It is so beautiful up there, no matter what you feel inside, you can't take away the fact that the view is so awe-inspiring. I like to fly so I catch a good sunset and then watch the cities fade into shadows and tiny specks of lights, it's just amazing to see "us" doing our thing, we look so small. Enjoy the view. Smile.
    As beautiful as watching a sunset may be, I personally when I look out the window as we are going through clouds and can't see a thing, get this overwelming feeling of anxiety. I feel like the clouds are going to suffocate me.

I love when we finally see land and I say to myself, great we are ging to land soon!

Funny how each of us is affected differently by the same things.

Closed Thread

Tags
    fear of flying, flying anxiety