It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• I am curious about Generic Antidepressants

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-05-2011, 12:32 PM   #1
    Foxxii
    (female)

Foxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB User
    Question I am curious about Generic Antidepressants

The first time I tried to go back on Zoloft in August, I had the generic (sertraline) manufactured by Greenstone, I only took 12.5 for a week and then 25 for a week. The whole time I was getting severely dizzy, increased anxiety and panic attacks, stomach issues, and migraines. Had to stop it. This time around, however, I started the Generic manufactured by Northstar, I took 25 mg last night, expecting worse side effects from the dosage, and today so far I have like NO side effects, except a little headache and a little lightheaded feeling. Nothing major yet though. (Knock on wood) I'm wondering if there are different fillers in these generic drugs that make some people more sensitive to them than others? Anyone else have this happen, with the different manufacturers? Just Curious

Last edited by Foxxii; 10-05-2011 at 02:09 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2011, 08:40 PM   #2
    marianna43
    (female)

marianna43 HB Usermarianna43 HB Usermarianna43 HB User
    Re: I am curious about Generic Antidepressants

I have never been on it but I would be interested in seeing how you do on it. I am being taken off Wellbutrin and I think one of the drugs she mentioned was Zoloft. I hate, hate going on new medications because of my anxiety I have to read everything I can about it then I stress out about any possible side effects etc.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:22 PM   #3
    jonnstar
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Its more likely to be coincidence than a reaction to the fillers etc

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 10-07-2011, 02:38 AM   #4
    Ariel99
    (female)

Ariel99 HB User

I do think that different manufacturers can use different filler materials, and depending on the ingredients, people can have sensitivities. If you continue to do well on the generic by Northstar, your doctor may want to make a note about that in writing Rxs for you in future so the pharmacy doesn't fill it with a different maker's brand that you can't tolerate.

Last edited by msmod; 10-07-2011 at 05:36 AM. Reason: Removed quote. Ms_Mod

Old 10-07-2011, 05:18 AM   #5
    Foxxii
    (female)

Foxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB User

I think I will do that. I was researching and came upon a sight yesterday where users were complaining about side effects when their generic was filled by the pharmacy using a different manufacturer. The one I took the first time (Greenstone), had a high complaint rating of dizziness, and increased anxiety/panic. There was one person who claimed her psychiatrist said he had a lot of patients "crash and burn" on that one. But the thing that baffles me the most is that Greenstone is supposedly the maker of the brand name Zoloft. Hmmm.... I don't know, but I think i'll have my doc write a script for "manufactured by Northstar only". I have heard that if the doc writes the script that way, thay HAVE to fill it for you that way, even if they have to order it.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:52 PM   #6
    Frank Furter
    (male)

Frank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB User
    Lightbulb Re: I am curious about Generic Antidepressants

I've taken brand name Zoloft and the generic by the two manufacturers you mentioned. I never noticed any difference. My doctor says the generics are "chemically identical" to the original --- no difference at all.

Old 10-08-2011, 06:10 AM   #7
    Foxxii
    (female)

Frank, I looked them both up and found that although the active ingredient is the same between the 2 generics, the fillers/inactive ingredients they use are different. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Closed Thread