It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• I'm so sick of anxiety!!! Anyone taking Zoloft?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-13-2011, 11:19 AM   #1
    ScaredSoHereIam
    (male)

ScaredSoHereIam HB User
    I'm so sick of anxiety!!! Anyone taking Zoloft?

I am so sick of Anxiety. I just spent my entire evening last night inside Urgent Care thinking I was having a heart attack, just for an EKG to come back completely normal.

My doc prescribed me Zoloft but I haven't taken it yet because i'm not depressed. I'm just anxious and have panic attacks. Anyone hear NOT depressed but take Zoloft for their anxiety? How does it worK for you?

I'm on Xanax, but they don't want me on it much longer.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2011, 01:29 PM   #2
    marianna43
    (female)

marianna43 HB Usermarianna43 HB Usermarianna43 HB User
    Re: I'm so sick of anxiety!!! Anyone taking Zoloft?

I just started taking Zoloft last Friday so I havent noticed any changes yet. I am also on Xanax. I have both anxiety and depression but my pdoc put me on the Zoloft to hopefully help the anxiety because previously I had been on Wellbutrin and it was doing nothing for the anxiety.

I hope that it works for you.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:52 PM   #3
    bjbflorida
    (female)

bjbflorida HB User

why don't they want you on xanax?

Last edited by msmod; 10-14-2011 at 05:21 AM. Reason: Removed quote. Ms_Mod

Old 10-13-2011, 07:10 PM   #4
    miche31
    Veteran
    (female)

miche31 HB Usermiche31 HB Usermiche31 HB User

Hi there. To make you feel a little better, I went to the Urgent Care last Saturday because I was thinking I too was having heat problems (chest pains), they immediately rushed me to the ER, where they immediately hooked me up to all sorts of stuff and lots of blood drawn, EKG. Dr. said I was ok. I don't believe him. But I do have an electrical problem in my heart so that is why I'm always scared something is wrong with my heart. Now I have to go in and take a stress echo test, mainly for my piece of mind they said. I still have to get the courage up to go take it though.
    So, you are not the only one who has this. A lot of us have this, and we are all sick of the way our minds work. Don't be afraid of the Zoloft, it is really good for people with anxiety. And don't worry if you have no depression, a lot of SSRI's work on people with just anxiety disorders. I could not tolerate Zoloft, and so I'm on my 4th medication - Celexa. I am on day 6, so I'm hoping it will work. I take xanax as needed. The Dr.'s here all hate it, they love to push the SSRI's. There is only one Dr. who will prescribe it to me, and it is not my regular GP or my psych, it is my gyno. He said some people need xanax, and while they may get dependent on it, the quality of life at some point becomes the main concern. And all my Dr.'s know that I'm on xanax, but I do not ever abuse it. I too scared of pills! lol. I took Lexapro 5 years ago for my severe anxiety and panic attacks, and it helped really well, to the point that I did not need xanax for a long time. Then it was only rarely when I would need it. I am hoping Celexa will get me to that point again.
    Start the Zoloft, and hopefully they started you on a low dose, and then work your way up. You will have lots of support here.
    Good luck!

Old 10-13-2011, 07:50 PM   #5
    Foxxii
    (female)

Foxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB User

Scared, please don't be affraid of taking something that could ultimately help you get rid if the anxiety and panic attacks. I have taken Zoloft on and off for about 10 years now, i'm just starting back on it, 10 days in. You may get a little more anxiety in the first few weeks, but the xanax really helps with that. Please give it a shot, it works really well for me. If you can't tolerate it, there are other SSRI's out there that are available. I, like you and so many others, have severe health anxiety, I was in the ER a few weeks ago myself thinking that it was my heart, but everything came out fine. They gave me 1 mg of Ativan through IV and I was calm in no time. Panic attacks are horrible, they wreak havoc on your body, and they make you feel like there's something seriously wrong with you. But after getting a clean bill of health, it should help you to see that it's just the panic attack, and you will be fine once it passes. Best of luck, Fox

Old 10-13-2011, 10:03 PM   #6
    Frank Furter
    (male)

Frank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB User
    Thumbs up Re: I'm so sick of anxiety!!! Anyone taking Zoloft?

Yes, I take Zoloft for just anxiety. SSRIs work on both anxiety and depression because the same brain chemicals are involved in both conditions. Take the Zoloft. It should calm you down but you'll have to take it for a few weeks to get the full benefit. It works really good for me. I got almost immediate relief for my anxiety from it. Yes, I got a few annoying side effects at first - dry mouth, jitters - but they have now gone away.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:58 AM   #7
    ScaredSoHereIam
    (male)

ScaredSoHereIam HB User

Thank you everyone. I really appreciate it.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:38 PM   #8
    jennirator
    (female)

jennirator HB User

I started taking Zoloft for my anxiety about a month ago. I have had anxiety my whole life (I am 20) and I have to say this works the best! Take it at night or you will be tired during the day and for a full time student that isn't a great idea! I feel calm and not as anxious. Before Zoloft I was nervous driving to school or even going to a store but I feel much calmer now. [U]I don't have depression by the way [U]. I say give it a chance! I even lost a few lbs which doesn't hurt either :P

The following user gives a hug of support to jennirator:
    Pegib (11-28-2011)
    Closed Thread