It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Exercise Intolerance

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-05-2012, 04:06 PM   #1
    livingwell440
    (male)

livingwell440 HB User
    Exercise Intolerance

I have been in athletics all my life and in great shape. In previous anxiety episodes I could run or work out with no problem. Now I get sick when I do the least exercise. I just went for a 6 mile bike ride and an nauseated and shaking apart.

Anyone else who used to be able to exercise.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2012, 02:01 PM   #2
    ScaredOne620
    (female)

ScaredOne620 HB User
    Re: Exercise Intolerance

I'm still able to exercise, as far as I can tell. I haven't gone for a long hike yet, but as far as sit-ups & stuff, I do okay. I jogged from my house to my mailbox, thinking if I didn't collapse, then I didn't have any problems with my heart, LOL

Old 02-15-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
    EagleRiverDee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User

You might have an underlying medical issue. I worked out for years with no issues and then started getting nauseous and depressed immediately after working out, and when I say depressed, I mean like rock bottom depressed. It was weird because my normal moods were fine, I was only experiencing this after doing resistance training. Later I was diagnosed with Hashimotos, a thyroid disease. I began treatment and since then I am back to being able to work out with no issues.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:52 PM   #4
    klkane
    (female)

klkane HB User

yes, this is very familiar with me also. I used to be able to exercise, but in the beginning of my journey I would shake and just feel terrible for a few days after, even yoga would do this! But since I have been steadily working out, I have been able to increase this from shakes to just feeling alittle weird after! Go slow listen to your body..its the stress that is triggering anxiety for you. Keep it low ans slow to start!

Old 02-16-2012, 06:43 AM   #5
    db851
    (male)

db851 HB Userdb851 HB Userdb851 HB User

When I'm symptom free, for example while medicated by Lexapro, I can do any kind of strenuous exercise I want. When I've tried going off of meds, I really had problems exercising. Its frustrating because they say diet and exercise are important while fighting anxiety/panic attacks, yet I'm like you, I can't do them half the time because the anxiety drives me out of the gym!!! So to answer your question, yes, I get those symptoms when I try to work out as well, and I do not have an underlying medical condition as I've had every test under the sun run on me. I've been very active and athletic all of my life too, and never had any problems until anxiety.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:55 AM   #6
    rvnic
    (male)

rvnic HB User

Man, I have this problem so bad. When I was in my early 20's I exercised like a maniac. 5 to 6 days a week at the gym. Now, I am 36 and have put on a few pounds and want to get back into a consistent exericise routine but my anxiety completely prevents me. A big part of my problem is that my anxiety is centered almost entirely around health issues. So I am convinced that I literally can't exercise or I am going to die. When I try, I feel severe nausea, pains in my back, pains in my chest. I have had a thousand medical tests (stress/echo test on my heart, EKG's, endoscopy, abdominal ultrasound, full abdominal CT scan). I have had each doctor tell me that there is nothing wrong with me physically. However, every time I get on a treadmill, I experience pains and nausea nearly to the point of vomitting.

I know that exercising and getting into good shape will greatly help my anxiety, but my anxiety prevents me from doing it. It's a vicious cycle. Any advice would be appreciated.

P.S.
    When I did the stress/echo test a few weeks ago, I had absolutely no problem doing the exercise portion. All of these symptoms magically disappeared with the cardiologist standing there watching me. It was like I had to just suck it up and do the test and that's what I did. Afterwards, I was amazed at how simple it was for me to do that, yet how difficult it is for me to get on the treadmill in my house. I don't understand it. The report from the cardiologist said that my heart function was perfect and that my capacity for exercise was well above average.

Last edited by rvnic; 02-16-2012 at 11:03 AM.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:12 PM   #7
    egoadvocate
    (male)

egoadvocate HB User

I have exercise intolerance as well with my anxiety. It is completely disrupting my life. If I go slow and take a lot of time I can slowly build up my endurance, but my body does not resist exercise stress like it used to.

Any solutions to this problem would be appreciated!

When I was young I could exercise whenever I felt like it. Now, unless I use complicated strategies to gradually build my endurance (which takes months to do, a pedometer, plenty of rest), I have sleepless nights, rapid heartbeat, rapid breathing, nausea, feel tired, feel muscle soreness, and generally feel bad when I do minor exertions.

I'm a total weakling now - barely a part of normal society. Blast this anxiety.

Last edited by egoadvocate; 02-20-2012 at 06:30 PM.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:58 PM   #8
    d0ink
    (male)

d0ink HB Userd0ink HB Userd0ink HB Userd0ink HB Userd0ink HB Userd0ink HB Userd0ink HB User

My opinion is that we are too much concerned with our health. It is partly normal, since we don't feel like we used to. But on the other hand if we are told that we are healthy we should believe that. Another point is listening inside. By this I mean that we notice every little symptom even if it is just a tingling in our stomach or the feeling of getting tired of training. It is about what we make out of it. If it makes us scared then it will lead to nervousness. If we learn to accept the feelings (not all of them, but those that are rather meaningless) we might lose our anxiety over exercising. I believe that the pills help us ignore the feelings, but when you want to come off them and live without them you have to learn to accept them for they are part of you.

Last edited by d0ink; 02-20-2012 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Added one sentence.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:19 AM   #9
    bratforlife
    (female)

bratforlife HB User

I hate my anxiety. It consumes my life. I too can not exercise. My stomach bloats up, my heart flutters, a heat wave comes over me and this is just walking in the mall. I have gotten to the point where I can no longer grocery shop or any kind of shopping where I can not see the door for a quick escape. I have never tried meds but I am getting to the point where I can not live like this anymore. I wish all of you luck!!

Closed Thread