It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Chest tightness, constricted breathing, strong pounding palpitations day to night.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-22-2012, 09:48 AM   #31
    bay7000
    (male)

bay7000 HB User
    Re: Chest tightness, constricted breathing, strong pounding palpitations day to night

boobootwo: i do cough every now and then because of an itchy throat and to clear out some clear mucous, but its not a severe phlegmy kind of cough. i stopped seeing gp he doesn't know a dam thing, i wont be returning back there anytime soon. i will post it here if i find something about it though.

mojo37: yea, i hear you, its important to go out and enjoy life even though we feel wacky. i was feeling blue and extremely fatigued the other day that i went to bed early and stayed there for like 12 hrs! Even then, these symptoms make me feel so tired and blah during the day. one day i feel motivated, the next day i don't want to do anything. I feel like a hurt zombie.

TLORS: The symptoms i'm having seem to be making me more anxious/stressed, and i feel that my heart races easier in normal activities, ie: working out is tougher. It shoots up when docs check my bp. My heart is fine according to tests, which is assuring. But i feel wacky. do you still take the meds prescribed?

I can understand your situation. Your symptoms could be from environmental stress or something. did you notice the symptoms start even before your studies in Japan?

Just out of curiosity, what are you studying in Japan?

d0ink: yea, some kind of negative energy that stressed the body. maybe for me it was built up stress. Not quite sure. and yes motivating oneself is tough, but i guess it can be done.

Last edited by bay7000; 04-22-2012 at 09:54 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2012, 05:18 PM   #32
    TLORS
    (male)

TLORS HB User
    Re: Chest tightness, constricted breathing, strong pounding palpitations day to night

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bay7000 View Post
    boobootwo: i do cough every now and then because of an itchy throat and to clear out some clear mucous, but its not a severe phlegmy kind of cough. i stopped seeing gp he doesn't know a dam thing, i wont be returning back there anytime soon. i will post it here if i find something about it though.

mojo37: yea, i hear you, its important to go out and enjoy life even though we feel wacky. i was feeling blue and extremely fatigued the other day that i went to bed early and stayed there for like 12 hrs! Even then, these symptoms make me feel so tired and blah during the day. one day i feel motivated, the next day i don't want to do anything. I feel like a hurt zombie.

TLORS: The symptoms i'm having seem to be making me more anxious/stressed, and i feel that my heart races easier in normal activities, ie: working out is tougher. It shoots up when docs check my bp. My heart is fine according to tests, which is assuring. But i feel wacky. do you still take the meds prescribed?

I can understand your situation. Your symptoms could be from environmental stress or something. did you notice the symptoms start even before your studies in Japan?

Just out of curiosity, what are you studying in Japan?

d0ink: yea, some kind of negative energy that stressed the body. maybe for me it was built up stress. Not quite sure. and yes motivating oneself is tough, but i guess it can be done.
    I was lucky enough to get a big Japanese government scholarship which pays for my tuition and gives a monthly stipend that covers most of my day-to-day living. With something as generous as that going for me, it's kind of hard to feel depressed or anxious I think, but of course the experts I've consulted still think otherwise. Anyhow, I've been living and studying in Japan for about six years, so it's a very recent thing.

At the moment, I'm only taking PPIs (Omeprazole) regularly, and on occasion, I'll take one of the anti-anxiety meds I was given (I have three; ********, brotizolam, and alprazolam. I tend not to take the alprazolam, since it makes me feel very tired and strangely makes it harder for me to breathe--two things I'd rather not have when I'm already feeling quite fatigued). Other than that, I take daily supplements like a multi-vitamin, CoQ10, glucosamine, and fish oil. My diet is fairly clean too, as I eat mostly fruits, steamed vegetables (whatever I can get locally that doesn't come from the potentially irradiated north), lots of legumes, and a bit of fish and chicken from time to time.

I know what you mean though, about feeling really fatigued just doing your everyday activities. The act of going to the supermarket to stock up my kitchen with the aforementioned items gets me huffing and puffing where it never did before. Lifting otherwise light loads (like grocery bags) is at times a strenuous activity. Exercise becomes an activity I have to drag myself through, rather than enjoy for the duration. I've lost about 20 pounds over the past few months as well, though I'm suspecting a lot of that weight was muscle mass given my symptoms and fatigue? It's all pretty baffling and a little disconcerting, like, "wow, is this weakness the new normal for me?"

Quote:
    Originally Posted by d0ink
    Funny thing, my anxiety also started in November 2011. I tried to come off the Paxil and after two weeks into it it hit me like a door in the head. Ever since I am not feeling like my old self. Everyone tells me that it is all in my head and I do believe that it partly is, since when I get myself together and motivate myself (which is very hard) I do feel much better.

Was there some global event that took place in November that could have caused all of us have a sudden increase in some negative energy or so? I can't think of anything.
    Yeah, that is a curious thing. In a similar vein, I got to thinking earlier that maybe this was an occurrence that might have been local to my area--like maybe a bunch of folks in my neighborhood started to exhibit similar symptoms, and that maybe something in the environment was responsible? Of course, it'd be a little hard to prove that.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:58 AM   #33
    RockFan1984
    (male)

RockFan1984 HB User

The majority of my physical anxiety symptoms are chest tightness, hard swallowing, fast heart rate, hard/heavy breathing and sometimes sweaty palms. You are not alone bay7000.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:54 PM   #34
    boobootwo
    (female)

boobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB User

bay
    i read your post again and am wondering if you have seen a rheumatologist. i'm not sure....i know women are more prone to fibromyalgia, but maybe you should see a rheumy and talk to them about this?

Last edited by msmod; 04-24-2012 at 03:17 AM. Reason: Removed long quote. Ms_Mod

Old 05-02-2012, 07:38 AM   #35
    Mojo37
    (male)

Mojo37 HB UserMojo37 HB UserMojo37 HB User

bay7000,

How are you feeling? I am feeling "ok" today after having a couple of really bad days. I better enjoy the day with my kids because it is just a matter of time before I start feeling sick again.

I went to my appointments with the neurologist and my internal medicine doctor. My neurologist said that he highly recomends for my primary care doctor to refer me to the local medical university or the Mayo clinic because there is obviously something wrong with me and it is not anxiety.

My internist said that she would like for me to go and see a gastroenterologist before she gives me a referal to the medical university. If the gastro and the medical university don't find anything wrong then she will be sending me to the Mayo clinic.

It is looking more like I have an infectious disease that is just progressing now into something more severe or I have some kind of hormone producing tumor that is just dumping adrenaline or some other hormone into my system non-stop. I am really thinking that it could be the tumor because I have all the symptoms and the only test that came back abnormal was my cortisol which came back really high. The only thing that doesn't make sense is that I am loosing a lot of weight and high cortisol makes you gain. I will keep you posted. I hope you are feeling better.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:14 PM   #36
    bay7000
    (male)

bay7000 HB User

Mojo37
    I’m doing so-so. I’m just trying to hang in there with the symptoms and discomfort. And I still get aches, and heavy feelings.

My other doc that I’ve seen thinks there some issues going on with my stomach. so i have to follow up with him and maybe run another test.

Mayo Clinic will probably find out what kind of disease/ illness you have. You might have a tumor. Hopefully they will find something. Hang in there and get well.

Boobootwo
    That might be a good idea to see a rheumy. I haven’t seen one yet. But I’m going to follow up with my doc w/my symptoms and see if i should see one. He also thinks i have some stomach issues going on.

Beatles 1984:
    I saw the post about relaxation exercises, I tried it a few times. But I guess it takes time and patience and practice for it to be effective.

TLORS
    are your symptoms improving? Did you find anything new with the doctors?
    I tried taking PPI before, but I could not notice any difference so I stopped taking them. I think they prevented the absorption of some nutrients from some of the food I was eating.

What does the glucosamine help with? I’m taking magnesium, vitamin d, fish oils, and calcium.

I notice that it’s hard for me to put on pounds ever since I lost weight. I’m trying to gain back some muscle mass and it seems like I’m making very small gains. I’ve been working out 3x a week, but also still get the shortness of breath feeling during and afterwards. I’m going to try to see if I can push myself with more cardio exercise despite having sob.

How are you enjoying your time in Japan ? Anything cool you see? I'm sure a lot.

Last edited by msmod; 05-02-2012 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Read and follow the posting rules in regards to PM's. Ms_Mod

Old 05-02-2012, 07:24 PM   #37
    TLORS
    (male)

TLORS HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bay7000 View Post
    Mojo37
    Iím doing so-so. Iím just trying to hang in there with the symptoms and discomfort. And I still get aches, and heavy feelings.

My other doc that Iíve seen thinks there some issues going on with my stomach. so i have to follow up with him and maybe run another test.

Mayo Clinic will probably find out what kind of disease/ illness you have. You might have a tumor. Hopefully they will find something. Hang in there and get well.

Boobootwo
    That might be a good idea to see a rheumy. I havenít seen one yet. But Iím going to follow up with my doc w/my symptoms and see if i should see one. He also thinks i have some stomach issues going on.

Beatles 1984:
    I saw the post about relaxation exercises, I tried it a few times. But I guess it takes time and patience and practice for it to be effective.

TLORS
    are your symptoms improving? Did you find anything new with the doctors?
    I tried taking PPI before, but I could not notice any difference so I stopped taking them. I think they prevented the absorption of some nutrients from some of the food I was eating.

What does the glucosamine help with? Iím taking magnesium, vitamin d, fish oils, and calcium.

I notice that itís hard for me to put on pounds ever since I lost weight. Iím trying to gain back some muscle mass and it seems like Iím making very small gains. Iíve been working out 3x a week, but also still get the shortness of breath feeling during and afterwards. Iím going to try to see if I can push myself with more cardio exercise despite having sob.

How are you enjoying your time in Japan ? Anything cool you see? I'm sure a lot.
    Nothing has really changed for me, outside of maybe wearing thin the patience of my doctor. I have okay days where the symptoms are only an annoyance that slows me down a bit, and some days where it brings everything to a halt and I can't really do much. The worst are nights when I can't sleep, where I'm constantly falling asleep and then waking up in sudden jolts and palpitations for no apparent reason. I'm not good for much on the days that follow those evenings.

I've noticed that I get more upset stomachs while using the PPI (omeprazole), but have decided to try and take them all, per the instructions of my doctor. He scolded me recently for not sticking with the PPI for longer than two weeks the first time I used them, since I also hadn't really seen a difference either. Apparently though, they can take up to a month or longer to have any real effect, or so I've been told.

Just in case my food isn't digesting completely though, I've also started taking probiotics and digestive enzymes. They haven't led to any noticeable change yet, and I still tend to get a lot of phlegmy feel in the back of my throat after meals (which is a big part of why my doctor is thinking that GERD might be the main problem), but I figure that keeping them up can't hurt. Besides, it's only been just under a week that I've been taking them, so maybe that too requires long term use?

Glucosamine is something I've taken even before all this stuff started. It's mostly just for joint cartilage health. As I no longer have a car here, I do a lot of walking and stair climbing, so glucosamine is supposed to help keep wear down to a minimum. It's more a preventative thing to take for me, rather than something I've started taking because of a particular condition.

As for losing weight, yeah, I've shed a lot of muscle too, it seems. About half of the weight I've lost (about 10 pounds) is likely muscle according to this electronic scale I've got. That makes sense since I don't eat as much now that I'm not as active, and even then, I tend to eat even more fruit and vegetable than I used to, rather than the usual amounts of chicken or fish. (Beef tends to be too expensive for me here, and pork is something I rarely ate even before coming to Japan.) I'm not too worried about gaining it back at the moment though, since I'm just more concerned with getting quality sleep, stopping the chest pain, palps, and the heavy sensation when I'm trying to get deep breaths down.

As for my time in Japan, it's like anywhere. It has its perks and drawbacks. There are definitely many amazing things that I'm probably taking for granted now that I'll be missing when I return home. While there's valid criticism that Japanese government and industry is too centered on Tokyo, it does make the city incredibly dense with distractions. If you've got the time, money, and energy (of which I'm sorely lacking the latter two!) then it's a great place to explore and have a great time. I just hope that when the next "big one" hits, it leaves this city intact.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mojo37
    bay7000,

How are you feeling? I am feeling "ok" today after having a couple of really bad days. I better enjoy the day with my kids because it is just a matter of time before I start feeling sick again.

I went to my appointments with the neurologist and my internal medicine doctor. My neurologist said that he highly recomends for my primary care doctor to refer me to the local medical university or the Mayo clinic because there is obviously something wrong with me and it is not anxiety.

My internist said that she would like for me to go and see a gastroenterologist before she gives me a referal to the medical university. If the gastro and the medical university don't find anything wrong then she will be sending me to the Mayo clinic.

It is looking more like I have an infectious disease that is just progressing now into something more severe or I have some kind of hormone producing tumor that is just dumping adrenaline or some other hormone into my system non-stop. I am really thinking that it could be the tumor because I have all the symptoms and the only test that came back abnormal was my cortisol which came back really high. The only thing that doesn't make sense is that I am loosing a lot of weight and high cortisol makes you gain. I will keep you posted. I hope you are feeling better.
    Despite how we're all feeling at the moment, it's kinda' nice that your doctors are at least inclined to escalating you to a research hospital like Mayo to figure out what the problem might be. I wish my doctors had that initiative, so I'm a tad jealous, here! A previous doctor (the one before my current one) basically once told me, "look, I can't find anything wrong, so it has to be all in your head. Come back in six months if it is still bothering you." I was pretty angry afterward, and that didn't help much.

In any case, I hope you get that chance soon. You deserve answers, just like the rest of us, and once you get it, you're that much closer to addressing the problem, rather than just trying to ease the symptoms. Good luck, Mojo!

Old 06-27-2012, 05:22 PM   #38
    Mojo37
    (male)

TLORS,

I still have all my symptoms as well. I do a couple of things to minimize them like I drink tons of sugar free powerade and take tylenol PM when I am having lots of pain and jolts. I also take probiotics (Kefir).

I saw a gastroenterologist and I was diagnosed with a Candida infection of the esophagus and atrophic gastritis. The doctor told me that atrophic gastritis is only caused by H. Pylori or an autoinmune condition. I was tested for H. Pylori and I don't have it so now we are just waiting to get some lab results back to confirm the autoinmune diagnosis. I am also taking fluconasole (diflucan) twice a day for 14 days to get rid of that candida. After all, my problems seem to be coming from an undiagnosed autoinmune condition and like I said the onl things that really help me are the powerades and the tylenol PM. Hope you feel better soon.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:52 AM   #39
    nman2009
    (female)

nman2009 HB User

Consider asking a rhuematologist about Fibromyalgia. I had similiar symptoms back in 93 - and not much was know then about Fibro. It is very hard to diagnose. Worth asking about.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:06 AM   #40
    TLORS
    (male)

TLORS HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mojo37 View Post
    TLORS,

I still have all my symptoms as well. I do a couple of things to minimize them like I drink tons of sugar free powerade and take tylenol PM when I am having lots of pain and jolts. I also take probiotics (Kefir).

I saw a gastroenterologist and I was diagnosed with a Candida infection of the esophagus and atrophic gastritis. The doctor told me that atrophic gastritis is only caused by H. Pylori or an autoinmune condition. I was tested for H. Pylori and I don't have it so now we are just waiting to get some lab results back to confirm the autoinmune diagnosis. I am also taking fluconasole (diflucan) twice a day for 14 days to get rid of that candida. After all, my problems seem to be coming from an undiagnosed autoinmune condition and like I said the onl things that really help me are the powerades and the tylenol PM. Hope you feel better soon.
    Hmm... that's interesting. I'll be sure to ask my PCP about testing to see if it's an autoimmune reaction and H. Pylori, next.

For the meantime however, I've been using traditional Chinese medicines (though "localized" for Japanese usage) since I've come to a point where I figured, "what could I lose from trying something else?" I've been on it for a month and a half, and while things have thankfully not gotten worse, they haven't gotten considerably better, either.

I have noticed lately that my episodes or near-episodes tend to revolve around eating however, leading me to think it might be related to digestion. I got an endoscopy recently, and they found a minor hiatal hernia along with mild reflux esophagitis. My doctor put me on aciphex and is having me see how that works out.

Will report back if and when this (hopefully) all clears up.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:23 PM   #41
    costahobo
    (male)

costahobo HB User

My god, I'm not alone! I'm a 33 yr old male, and have nearly the same symptoms that you guys are having, and it's driving me crazy.

My doctor thinks that it's anxiety and it's just in my head, but it's not!

Mine started about 3 weeks ago. I ate some chicken, and a few hours later, I was in the bathroom all night long with diarrhea. Typical food poisoning, so I thought. I woke up the next day with a dry mouth, weak, feeling the chest tightness, etc., and I assumed it was just the food poisoning. After a few days of this, I went to the doctor, and he told me that I was dehydrated. I drank about 4 liters of pedialyte that day, and while it made me feel a bit better, the feeling still remains, and hasn't left yet.

I feel it from the moment I wake up until I go to sleep; it's just always there. When I wake up in the middle of the night to go pee, there it is waiting for me. I never used to have to pee in the middle of the night, but I've been drinking so much water lately, because I seem to be always thirsty.

My blood work is fine, EKG is fine, everything is fine, so the docs are convinced it's stress/anxiety. I tried a xanax, and all it did was make me go to sleep - the "anxiety" feeling is still there.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TLORS View Post
    I have noticed lately that my episodes or near-episodes tend to revolve around eating however, leading me to think it might be related to digestion.
    I created an account at this site just because of this post. Mine is significantly worse everytime I eat, or when I'm very hungry, so I'm convinced that it is something digestive related. I do have an appointment to get an endoscopy, so maybe that will show something. I don't have any food allergies that I am aware of.

I'm losing weight like crazy, I have zero energy to do anything, I always feel like I have a big ball in my throat, as if you need to cry, so I have the tight swallowing feeling. I know that there's nothing really there, as I can eat and drink just fine.

I can take deep breaths, but I get out of breath so easily now. Simply carrying a load of groceries, picking up my son and carrying him around, or just walking up a hill gets me winded.

I used to go cycling and had a relatively active life, but now this - I just don't know what's wrong with me, and if I do have any stress/anxiety, it's from my damn doctors making me believe that it's all in my head.

I mean, I have a catalyst! They just refuse to connect the food poisoning with what I have now (and that's when everything entirely started). At least I know that I'm not alone, but this is just driving me crazy.

Old 07-02-2012, 03:12 PM   #42
    Mojo37
    (male)

costahobo,

Keep pushing the doctors. I've been fighting something very similar for approximately 8 months now and I am not giving up. I went from running 7 miles a day, swimming and a very active lifestyle to a couch potato lifestyle. I've seen all kinds of doctors and the gastro that I am seeing now is the one that actually believes that there's something wrong with me. My problems including my digestive ones are looking like they are autoinmune related. I'll keep you guys posted. I have another appointment tomorrow afternoon.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:26 AM   #43
    costahobo
    (male)

costahobo HB User

Problem solved!

I had a gastro-endoscopy done, and it revealed that I have a hiatal hernia, which pushes the stomach into the esophagus. Everything I had been feeling was caused by this. Thank God that it's finally been resolved!

The following user gives a hug of support to costahobo:
    escapegirl08 (07-12-2012)
    Old 08-27-2012, 07:31 PM   #44
    Badstomach40
    (male)

Badstomach40 HB User

Hey I have similar issues.

Last edited by moderator2; 08-27-2012 at 07:37 PM. Reason: please do not post your contact information

Closed Thread