It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Doctor/Pharmacy suddenly treating me very strangely when prescribing/refilling Ativan

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-08-2012, 05:05 PM   #1
    Steven45
    (male)

Steven45 HB UserSteven45 HB User
    Red face Doctor/Pharmacy suddenly treating me very strangely when prescribing/refilling Ativan

Hi everyone

For years I have suffered terribly with a combination of anxiety, panic disorder and OCD. I also have a great deal of stress in my life. For about 5 years I have been on Ativan which helps but doesn't always aleviate the symptoms (especially when they get really severe). I have always taken my Ativan as prescribed and when I ran out, I would go back to the doctor and ask for a refill. I have never "upped" my dosage or taken them recreationally, etc. The Ativan was never a problem although the doctor would sometimes suggest that I might want to try an anti-depressant (which have never helped me and have only caused lots of side effects).

Recently, I read a lot of good things about Valium and since the Ativan seemed to have lost it's affect over time I went in and asked if I could be changed over and was simply told "no problem". The next day I started on the Valium and it did nothing for me except make me feel even worse so I stopped using it and went back to the same doctor at a later date and asked to be switched back over to the Ativan again. I already kind of supected that having asked for the switch and then coming in "too early" for the next refill and asking to be switched back to the Ativan again might cause some issues but after a fair amount of questions about meds, side effects, various anti-depressants being suggested, etc the doctor finally just asked me if there was anything else he could do for me.

At that point I just started telling him about the various ways in which anxiety had affected my life and expected that to be that but it was at this point that the doctor's demeanor completely changed and he practically shouted at me "you have anxiety!" (life he didn't already know this after 5 years of seeing me?). He then kept repeating that the Ativan wasn't a cure (I knew this already) and that I was just going to have to go home and suffer for the rest of my life with anxiety because I wasn't getting any more Ativan from him and then he asked me if I had ever taken Effexor before. I told him that I had taken it many years ago and had a really bad reaction (which I most certainly did) but he turned right around and prescribed it to me anyway!. When I reminded him that I had told him about the bad reaction I had had to the Effexor he got really angry and told me to "take the Effexor!". I left his office and walked into the lobby and as I was sitting there waiting, he pops around the corner and very sternly says "Take the Effexor!" again and "I want to see you in a month!" (I never see him that often).

I left the clinic shocked and bewildered wondering what had gone wrong and why (after all these years of seeing him) I was suddenly being treated so differently. I also began tapering which made my anxiety (and/or withdrawal) even worse at a time when my anxiety was already sky-high. The next day I called the pharmacy and asked if my prescriptions were ready to pick up. This doctor had gone ahead and written me a prescription for Ativan anyway (but a no refills this time) as well as prescriptions for several other medications (for my stomach, blood pressure, etc). The pharmacy told me that they were all ready to be picked up except the Ativan. I asked her if she could fill the one for Ativan (or maybe she asked me if I wanted her to fill it - I don't remember). Anyway, she sounded kind of hesitant..."different"...over the phone and I was thinking to myself "what is going on here?". So a few hours later I arrived to pick up my refills and for the first time ever, she asks me for photo ID. I've been going there for nearly 15 years and have never been asked for that before so I was REALLY wondering what was going on at this point.

So, I provided her with my ID but I asked her what this was all about and she indicated that it was a new law that went into affect on the first of January 2012 (thats funny because I sure wasn't asked for ID in Februrary of this year when I picked up the Valium!). At first I thought "ok, no big deal" but then when I arrived home I got curious and did some research as late as February 2012 and found that no such law exists but that if a pharmacy becomes suspicious they can ask for ID so I just automatically assumed that she thought I was "suspicious". Shortly afterwards my anxiety went into full gear and my imagination started conjuring up all sorts of horrible things. I imagined being put on some sort of "black list" or profiled as an "abuser" (which I am definately NOT). I imagined my whole life being put under a microscope and getting visits from people I have never met before wanting to just ask me a few "questions". Anyway, I'm sure many of you already know how anxiety/OCD can make your mind conjure up all kinds of thoughts but in today's society and the often scary world we live in, you never know what might be going on behind the scenes.

I really do apologize for the length of this message. It was supposed to be short and quick but turned into a novel. Anyway, What just happened to me with all of these stange events recently and what do you folks make of all this?. Have any of you ever encountered anything like this before yourselves?. Should I be worried or am I just being paranoid?. Honestly, I feel like in just a matter of a few days I've already been judged, profiled and put on some black list of "abusers" as if I was some sort of criminal when I am nothing more than an anxiety-ravaged soul being treated for an often debilitating disorder. Getting treated for my anxiety was never an issue for years and now suddenly all of this...really strange.

Thanks so MUCH for any input! - Steve

The following user gives a hug of support to Steven45:
    snip22 (03-25-2012)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2012, 08:21 AM   #2
    StandingStrong
    (female)

StandingStrong HB User
    Re: Doctor/Pharmacy suddenly treating me very strangely when prescribing/refilling At

I used to feel this way when I would get my benzo's refilled. I was on xanax for 7-8 years then Klonopin for 2 years. I felt like the pharmacy judged me everytime I went in to get the medications. I would sometimes ask my husband to pick up my refill because the anxiety of the looks on the faces of the staff at the pharmacy drove me nuts.

I no longer take any Benzo's and do not feel judged at the pharmacy anymore. I realized they were likely never judging me & that my mind was playing tricks on me.

I hope you will not feel judged when you refill your medications next month.

Last edited by msmod; 03-10-2012 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Replaced text message, chat room letter with the proper word as per the posting rules. Ms_Mod

Old 03-24-2012, 07:15 PM   #3
    snip22
    (female)

snip22 HB User
    Re: Doctor/Pharmacy suddenly treating me very strangely when prescribing/refilling At

After a lifetime of all kinds of trauma I developed a severe panic disorder. My doctor put me on xanax almost 3 years ago. He said the same to me about also putting me on an antidepressant. I wasn't depressed and couldn't understand why I needed both. The time came a couple of months ago when I started having breakthrough panic attacks. I went back to the doctor and he put me on zoloft to bridge the xanax. It worked. I take 100 mg. of zoloft daily and 0.5mg of xanax when I need it. I'm going to be on this stuff the rest of my life. I don't care about long term use. I couldn't go on living the way I was.
    This is just my opinion but I think you should probably see another doctor who is more informed on anxiety and panics disorders. It does take time to find the right dosages and meds. My doctor has tweaked my xanax and zoloft dosage until it was right for me. Please, don't feel shame or embarrassed because you are trying to find something that will help you. Your doctor should be more informed and willing to help. The heck with the pharmacists it's none of their beeswax what you are prescribed. Best wishes.

Closed Thread