It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Anxiety, can't stop taking my blood pressure

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-13-2012, 02:49 PM   #1
    dantescritic
    (male)

dantescritic HB Userdantescritic HB User
    Anxiety, can't stop taking my blood pressure

So I guess I have been dealing with anxiety since about age 20 which interestingly is aroudn the same time I was diagnosed with hypertension. Im now 23 and I take my blood pressure 50-100 times a day. I still don't think it is properly controlled as sometimes it is below 140/90 and other times it is above. In the doctors office/pharmacy it is always pretty high "150-155/80-90". I get really scared about taking it however I can't stop myself. I think about it all the time as I dont want to die young from a heart attack.

I take 25 mg hydrochlorothiazide currently, my doctor actually took my off the original medications I was taking which were too numerous to mention. She kept saying "white coat hypertension" but I experience high readings at home too, although I can't decide if it's anxiety or blood pressure. Now that doctor is gone and I know my next appointment will be with the initial doctor who diagnosed me. He doesn't really believe in anxiety causing spikes and I have a bad relationship with him because he gave me 100mg of a drug to control blood pressure that is literally reserved for patients with extremely high readings.

I was very sick and even became suicidal on this new drug, so I went to the secondary doctor "Who believe my blood pressure is entirely anxiety related" but I just don't believe her.

I have worried about a ton of different things, i'll list just a few of the fears.

1. Hiv, Lung Cancer, Colon Cancer, Stomach Cancer, ALS, MS, Brain Tumor all tests have been negative. I also had some EKG's and Echocardiograms to check for damage with the hypertension that came back fine.

I'm really really scared all day. When I get ready to take my pressure my heart starts pounding and I just get extremely nervous and worried. Ive managed to relax enough at the pharmacy to get low readings 130/80 but perhaps I wasn't waiting long enough between them, or the machine simply read low. At this point is is all I can think about, I literally wake up crying and with a pounding heart afraid to get out of bed.

My psychologist and doctor both told me to stop checking my blood pressure, but what the hell do they want me to die of a stroke or heart attack!?

I don't get to see my new doctor until the 27th, im really scared I am going to die before then. I also have tachycardia that strikes randomly with the blood pressure spikes, it lasts about 30 minutes to an hour and it just terrifies me "Not sure if this is a panic attack". I used to suffer from panic attacks too, but now it seems that it's simply chronic anxiety that keeps me worried all day.

Is this anxiety? Is this HBP? Do I have a long time to live and do I have to worry about dying in the next few months/years? Does anyone else deal with this sort of thing?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
    hannahmorgan
    (female)

hannahmorgan HB User
    Re: Anxiety, can't stop taking my blood pressure

Went through the exact same thing as you.... I was taking my blood pressure 50+ times a day. Stop taking it. Your anxiety is causing it to spike and be high. It's been 2 months and I have only checked mine 3 times during that 2 months and it was fine when I checked it.

I suffer from anxiety due to worrying about my health also. Stop taking it. Take it once a week and try to stop worrying. I know it's hard. It's hard for me.

The following user gives a hug of support to hannahmorgan:
    dantescritic (04-14-2012)
    Old 04-13-2012, 09:49 PM   #3
    Bettsann
    (female)

Bettsann HB UserBettsann HB User

Oh dear! You have just simply got to stop! Not 'scolding you' ... just want to give you a few facts. OK?
    I've worked off and on as an aide in hospitals, nursing homes, and home care ... so know quite a bit about blood pressure. For one thing ...the readings you gave are NOT DANGEROUSLY HIGH!! And readings are ALWAYS higher in the dr's office...
    Your mind is in such a scared state its no wonder it registers WAY higher than you would like for it to...
    Would you please consider this: If you feel he/she will understand... ask that your doctor refer you to some sort of counseling... Please don't view yourself as 'hopeless' either ... you are going through a really testy 'phase' ... and nothing lasts forever. TRUST that things will get better.
    Please consider what I have said....be honest with your dr and ask him to please refer you for counseling services... you deserve this 'benefit'...you deserve to feel BETTER ...and it is all possible.
    I really and truly want to tell you to throw away your blood pressure machine!! ... Just keep telling yourself over and over ... I am getting better every day and finding ways to really help myself (the BP machine ain't agonna do it!
    Wishing you the best!!

The following user gives a hug of support to Bettsann:
    dantescritic (04-14-2012)
    Old 04-14-2012, 04:51 PM   #4
    dantescritic
    (male)

dantescritic HB Userdantescritic HB User

Thank you to both of you, I have a few more questions in a worst case scenario if my bp remained at 155/85 constantly would I have a few more years left to live? Like how long would it take to killl me

Does anyone else have a bp obsession?

Old 04-14-2012, 05:20 PM   #5
    Bettsann
    (female)

Wink Re: Anxiety, can't stop taking my blood pressure

Ok, Mr. Dante...
    I am going to pretend you are my grandson, take you on my knee and lecture you!! I may even give you a time out!!
    Yes, you could EASILY live many many years with that particular blood pressure unless you get run over by a Mack truck. (that is my attempt at humor, ok?)
    There is NO REASON for you to believe that you will keep retaining that particular reading of blood pressure. OK? ok!
    I am going to make a suggestion that might help you. Please consider buying one or several CD's that address stress and or anxiety... They really are amazing in how they help you. These CDs work with the reprogramming your thinking/brain which has a direct effect on your physical condition.
    Here is something else (been through this one myself!) ... Don't be afraid to LET GO OF THIS OBSESSION...for fear 'if I do then something WORSE might happen' ...I think you understand what I am talking about. Many of us have this 'secret fear' we don't want to admit to...
    AND...if you don't throw away that blood pressure machine, Nana will ground you.
    (in all seriousness, I hope you take what I have written in the loving way it was intended...) Give yourself PERMISSION to be 'afraid'...it doesn't make you 'not good enough' or bad in anyway...but also--give yourself permission to know ALL WILL BE WELL. Big hug.

Last edited by msmod; 04-15-2012 at 05:37 AM.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:45 PM   #6
    hannahmorgan
    (female)

hannahmorgan HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dantescritic View Post
    Thank you to both of you, I have a few more questions in a worst case scenario if my bp remained at 155/85 constantly would I have a few more years left to live? Like how long would it take to killl me

Does anyone else have a bp obsession?
    Hi. There is no wayyour doctor will allow your blood pressure to remain constantly at 155/85. Do you visit the doctor regular? If it stays that high they will probably add something to what you are already taking.

I now take lopressor 50mg 2 times a day. Lopressor is a beta blocker. I have spikes in my pressure sometimes, but it doesn't stay up like that for long.

Your anxiety, like mine is what causes the spikes. Like you... I constantly worry about having a heart attack or stroke. I know in my heart I should stop worrying about it and my blood pressure would more than likely be normal. I made myself crazy constantly taking my blood pressure. Example...I would take it and it would be 115/70. 5 minutes later, I'd ask myself wonder what it is now........I'd take it and it would be 124/82.... I'd freak out and take it again less than 5 minutes later and it would be 140/90. I'd freak out some more and it would be even higher. I'd keep a log........and would have over 50 readings a day. I would be up at 3 am taking my blood pressure.

When I would go to the doctor I would freak out and expect to get a high reading........and guess what??? I'd get one.

I had to tell myself........really make myself, put my monitor away. It started out on my dresser......I'd walk by and see it and could feel my blood pressure going up. Really, I could... Finally I put my monitor in the drawer where I couldn't see it and made myself go for 2 months and not check it... Then went to doctor...................and expected a high reading and guess what I got one........... Well, at my last doctor visit I told myself.....I am ok... it is what it is......I was still anxious but when they took it I got a reading of 136/74... which was great............

My doctor said when you have hbp......they want your reading to be less than 140/90........with me be anxious about them taking it.......is what gave me the high readings at the office.

As far as how long you are going to live, there is no way to tell......but tell you what.... a perfectly healthy person...........that does not have hbp or anything wrong can fall dead of a heart attack and stroke too.

Both of us need to get control of the anxiety and the blood pressure problems will work themselves out. When you start getting anxious......take deep breaths and then let it out........ It does work... Don't constantly think about it.......when I am not thinking about it.......I feel fine.......when I think about it..........I get light headed, anxious.....etc.

Keep busy and your mind off it. Put that monitor down.. Stop taking it so much. It has worked for me. I took mine last week and it was 115/74. If you are going to take it relax 10 minutes before you take it.......and remember body position affects it too... along with eating before taking it.......smoking if you smoke........drinking liquids.......etc. Relax before you take it.

I hope all this helps you... and would like for you to try this and check back in to let me know how it's going.

Working on the anxiety is going to help with the pressure. I hated the fact that I was diagnosed with hbp back in 2005.

Another thing, start eating walnuts, almonds, and dark chocolate... studies have shown that they help to reduce blood pressure and they are really good for you.

When you feel an attack coming on tell yourself.........I am fine... I am going to be fine. I've been through this before and lived to tell about it.

Talk yourself down. I went to a therapist and that is what she told me to do and it actually helps. I don't want to take anxiety medications... so I do this and it really helps. Don't fight the attack, it just makes it worse...breath through them telling yourself you are going to be fine.

Hope this helps you.... sending a cyber hug to you.

Last edited by hannahmorgan; 04-14-2012 at 06:46 PM.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:04 PM   #7
    Bettsann
    (female)

Smile Re: Anxiety, can't stop taking my blood pressure

Hannah, that is really an excellent post.
    Dante, she is SO right...no good doctor worth his salt would ALLOW your blood pressure to remain at a high reading. I do agree with Hannah in that I, too, prefer as many 'natural' methods as possible.
    I take some herbs and supplements and was happy to get off Rx meds for my blood pressure. I am not sure if I can 'legally' mention them or not on this site, so I won't.
    I brought my BP down to 'normal range' readings. This does not mean you would be 'wrong' for taking the Rx meds. Do what YOU feel comfortable with.
    It sounds to me like you could be suffering from Anxiety attacks... and Hannah gave some excellent advice in that area, too.
    Just know people DO understand and can relate.

Last edited by msmod; 04-15-2012 at 05:40 AM.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:17 PM   #8
    hannahmorgan
    (female)

hannahmorgan HB User

Thanks... It's very hard when you have a health issue not to worry about it. Believe me I did my share of worrying, but have realized worrying it makes it worse. All the time worrying could be spent living instead of worrying. Not to say I still don't worry, because I do.........but I have came a long way with it..........

My therapist also told me to spend 10 minutes a day worrying about it........then forget it.

I am glad I found this site to discuss things like this..........Nobody except people who go through the same things understands how it is. Having a support group like this one.......where you can talk about it really helps too.........knowing that you are NOT alone.........helps.

We need to lean on each other and support each other. Sometimes the best kind of support is from people you never met.

Last edited by msmod; 04-15-2012 at 05:40 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to hannahmorgan For This Useful Post:
    AlexandraS (04-15-2012)
    Closed Thread