It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Feel like I'm going crazy... please help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-27-2012, 05:27 AM   #1
    MattN629
    (male)

MattN629 HB User
    Unhappy Feel like I'm going crazy... please help

Hello everybody,

First of all I understand that most people are not doctors here and do not know my medical history. But my GP is on vacation and I feel like I'm losing it.

Background: I'm 23, finished college May 2010. Decided I wanted to pursue career as actuary, which involves taking a series of exams that take me several months to prepare for. I've passed the first three, and am now studying for the next one in May. I have been studying about five months for this one test, and it is the most difficult one I will have taken.

Anyway, I've always considered myself a nervous person. I had a health anxiety scare early in college when I insisted on an MRI for recurring headaches even though I had no other obvious symptoms of brain tumor. Of course everything was okay.

Studying for these tests has been a long and difficult process for me, especially considering I am two years removed from college and still living at home with no career (just a crappy part-time job). I've had to sacrifice a lot of time with family and friends, and stopped exercising daily like I had done in college.

Over the past few weeks, I feel like anxiety has taken over me. It started when I had an abrupt occurrence of death anxiety, which I am not completely over, but a former pastor of our church helped me get through. Then my whole family got food poisoning, me getting it the worst, with recurring symptoms for weeks that had me convinced I had colon cancer. Colonoscopy comes back with perfect results. That makes me feel a little better. Doctor says blood work was also good except for high blood sugar ( wasn't fasting). So naturally I freak out and think I have diabetes until GP takes a fasting blood test and tells me sugar, triglycerides, and cholesterol are all great.

The within the past few weeks I start feeling completely exhausted everyday, both physically and mentally. I would get 8-9 hours of sleep every night and still struggle to get up. I would try to crack open the books when I get home and find myself having difficulty even reading the material. I'm having a hard time remembering what I just read or things people have just told me. I'm getting really a really weird feeling almost daily where it feels like I'm living in a dream and I'm kind of watching myself. I'm tripping up over my words a lot and for lack of a better word just feel "dumb." I also get intermittent chest discomfort on mostly the left side with is somewhat acute. The newest symptoms are tingling in my extremities and my right wrist being sore. I'm making a lot of mistakes when typing and writing. I'm always thinking about my breathing, making sure I can take a "deep" breath.

I guess what I'm getting at is can all of these symptoms be attributed to anxiety, or should I really be worried about something else? My progress in studying has come to a screeching halt. All I want to do is search my symptoms online which usually causes me to worry about brain tumors and other cancers.

I will stop rambling now. I don't expect anybody to read all of this, but I just needed to get it out. Did anybody out there have similar experiences?

Thanks,
    Matt

Last edited by MattN629; 04-27-2012 at 05:38 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2012, 10:45 AM   #2
    Kendra01
    (female)

Kendra01 HB UserKendra01 HB User
    Re: Feel like I'm going crazy... please help

Hey there,
    It sounds like you have a lot going on. It's great you are studying and trying to get your career going. It may that the pressure is taking its toil. I would still follow up with your medical doctor to confirm it's nothing physical going on with you and get a proper diagnosis. Sometimes that's the key.

I too suffered from anxiety attacks years ago. Some of my symptoms were not unlike yours. I suspected a heart condition and ended up in the ER. Once I was diagnosed with Anxiety, I got much better. I read everything I could get my hands on about the condition AND took a very small dose of Xanax as needed. (Usually .25 units per week.) AFter a couple of weeks, I never had one again. Just knowing what it was, was the biggest cure. Many people suffer from anxiety, both generalized and panic form. I have read that the treatment is very effective though. I know it was with me.

Good luck with everything.

Last edited by Kendra01; 04-27-2012 at 10:47 AM.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:25 AM   #3
    MattN629
    (male)

MattN629 HB User

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I really think that the pressure I put on myself compiled with untreated anxiety is boiling over. I hope I can at least believe my doctor if he says it is nothing physical so that I can start fighting my anxiety.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:21 PM   #4
    Kendra01
    (female)

Kendra01 HB UserKendra01 HB User

Once all the tests showed there was nothing actually wrong with me, then I started feeling better. I then began to read about all the people who have it. It really helped me to see that I was okay, not crazy. I could then put things into perscpective.

I'm no expert on this, but I have read that there are multiple componets of the condition. Some may be inherited. I know my mother has terrible anxiety, though she is in denial about it. She is contantly complaining of physical ailments that are probably anxiety symptoms and she will admit that's what it is, but then she keeps going back to it. Anti-anxiety meds take hers away. There is at least one med that is non-addictive. I would explore all my options with someone who specializes in the condition.

Good luck.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:35 AM   #5
    db851
    (male)

db851 HB Userdb851 HB Userdb851 HB User

Anxiety can definitely produce all of those symptoms you described. I have many of them as well. The one where you said you just felt "dumb", especially hit home. I remember thinking that at one point. Also the derealization feelings are definitely a sign of anxiety. I know these symptoms can be scary. I remember thinking I wouldn't be able to do my job anymore due to the forgetfulness. I would say something one day, and completely forget it the next. My girlfriend would detail what was said, only I didn't remember one bit of it. It seems your trigger here is the testing process you're going through, and all of the stress that comes with it of course. I'm sure that you will be cleared physically and will be able to begin to battle this anxiety head on at that point. There are tons of self help books out there for you to pick up. The first step is believing that it is anxiety though, and setting aside the worries of having a physical condition. And I know that is easier said than done, having fought that battle for years. You can do it though, don't let it alter your course. Good luck to you.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:59 PM   #6
    AnxietyGirl23
    (female)

AnxietyGirl23 HB User

Hi Matt:: It sounds to me like you are very anxious and could have generalized anxiety disorder.

Here's my story: I am a 27 year old female who has been anxious since i can remember. I have always functioned well, but I have had episodes when I've thought that getting hit by a football in the head caused a tumor or a fast beating heart meant I was having a heart attack.

I because severely stressed after losing my job 4 months ago. I've always been one to brush things off and deal with the stress later (which only worsen anxiety), so after losing my job, I convinced myself that I was feeling ok about it. Boy was I wrong.

Two months ago, I visited a friend at the hospital who had surgery. She had surgery to remove an abscess brought upon by MRSA. If you know anything about MRSA, you would know that if it's not caught on time, it can spread through the blood and into the organs, eventually becoming deadly. It it also relatively easy to catch if you spend enough time around someone who has it. I didn't know all this at the time that i visited her, but after the doctors insisted I wash my hands if i touched her, I, being the anxious person that I am, googled everything there was to know about MRSA. Now, imagine the whirlwind of thoughts I had in my head when I realized the magnitude of this illness! Shortly after visiting her, I got very sick. Flu-like sick. I was SURE I had MRSA. I thought the worst was going to happen (that it would spread quickly, that I would need surgery, that I had no health insurance… etc, etc, etc). These obsessive thoughts spun my anxiety out of control! Thank fully tough, it was not MRSA. It was just a flu. Turns out even though MRSA is easy to catch when you're exposed to it, it's also easy to spot before it gets to be serious.

About a week after I got over my flu, I started waking up in the middle of the night. A few days after, the right side of my body started trembling. It wouldn't stop. Shortly after, I started feeling foggy brain, where I felt like a big cloud in my head. Then I started oversleeping and had to take red bull to stay awake during the day because I was still exhausted. Then it escalated to me feeling disassociation. I would feel like I was looking at my life from the outside looking in. I felt so unattached from myself. I also started feeling out of breath and kept getting racing heart beats. All of this put me in a panic and I experienced my first ever panic attack (followed by many more in a matter of a week). The stress on my body and my mind made me go to the ER. I got a cat scan, EKG and blood work. Everything came back normal. I also looked up all my symptoms online to make sure it wasn't a brain tumor (I started obsessing that it might be a tumor). It always came back as generalized anxiety /panic disorder. Turns out, what I have is indeed GAD.

The reason I tell you my story is because I feel it is very similar to yours. I also had pretty much every physical symptom you have. I had a stressful situation in my life and then added to the stress when I started obsessing about getting sick or catching a deadly illness.

If you can, try, anyway you can, to calm your thoughts. Distract yourself. Talk to friends. Go out and exercise. Get off the search engine and stop searching your symptoms. Go to the doctor and get everything checked out to make sure its not anything else (it will also give you peace of mind when it all comes back ok). Don't let your thoughts drive you into a panic like it did with me.

Good Luck!

Old 04-30-2012, 06:15 AM   #7
    veganway
    (female)

veganway HB Userveganway HB User

I recommend magnesium glycinate 600mg a day and taurine+B6 for anxiety and depression. I tried it and it worked.

Last edited by veganway; 05-16-2012 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Please don't post unapproved websites, per Posting Policy. Thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to veganway For This Useful Post:
    AnxietyGirl23 (04-30-2012)
    Closed Thread

Tags
    anxiety, brain tumor, cancer