It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Anxiety panic attacks, Can't catch my breath, chest tightness, lethargic, excessive s

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-02-2013, 12:31 PM   #1
    Mr21stCentury
    (male)

Mr21stCentury HB User
    Anxiety panic attacks, Can't catch my breath, chest tightness, lethargic, excessive s

Hello All,
    I am a 28year old male, 5í11. 182lbs.
    This is my first post on a forum like this before. i have always liked reading forums as i find them useful and aiding in the self-diagnosis of my problems.
    I would say that the thing that worries me the most currently is my breathing. i have the feeling that i cannot catch my breath. i have had this for twelve months since January 2012.

At the time of the onset of this breathing problem i also experienced excessive sleeping. I have seen my doctor on and off since this has started. My doctors have said that i have stress and anxiety and panic attacks. I guess my breathing can't catch my breath is the panic attacks. The last time i went to see my doctor i gave him a list of my symptoms; which at the time were: don't see the point in anything, apathetic, lost interest in things i used to enjoy, excessive sleeping 12 hours a night, etc. My doctor said that this sounds like depression and he prescribed me Citalopram. I have been on Citalopram for about 7 weeks and i feel much better; to be honest the depression has pretty much gone - i felt better by about the fourth week on this medication. The medication is supposed to address the symptoms of panic anxiety attacks as well, but i cannot say that it has really alleviated it to be honest. it comes and goes but is always there.

This all started in January 2012 - i went on a two week holiday in Gran Canaria, in the last two weeks of the month. Towards the end of the holiday i remember going out with some friends i had met on a boat trip earlier that day. I had been drinking a lot of alcohol on the holiday: red wine, cocktails, beer, liquors. And i was smoking about a twenty pack of cigarettes a day - the gran canarian cigarettes were strong tasting, i remember i didn't like any of the brands on sale at the resort.

The thing that i haven't been able to get out of my mind since that holiday is a party trick that i participated in one night. i was with a group of friends in a nightclub and the trick involved drinking alcohol on fire. At the time I said thereís no way Iím doing that trick, I said to myself itís dangerous; but then I thought, oh well, it canít do me any harm, Iím fearless, I had the ĎI can do anything attitudeí. The way i was shown how to do the trick didn't simply involve drinking straight from a shot glass. the trick involved pouring alcohol into your mouth and then lighting it which produced a blue flame, then the flame with be swallowed and coke-a-cola would used to swill it down. i remember i did this twice in one night with someone else who was doing the trick with me. i didn't see it as harmful at the time, because i'd been drinking a lot and i was being brave in front of people. the first time i did it it didn't bother me too much. the second time i did it, i held the flame longer in my mouth and i felt it burning so i quickly swallowed it and flushed it down with coke. i felt pretty fine after and continued drinking, dancing, partying and having fun into the night. i never felt any pain or discomfort. i went to sleep as usual after the clubs closed at about 6am.

i woke up at my usual time of about 2 or 3pm. When i woke up i did feel pretty awful and i remember i was just heaving and coughing. i actually had to stop myself from coughing because it felt so bad.
    Other than those feelings I didnít feel too bad in any other way and didnít experience any pain or illness. However over the following days and nights my mind started racing that I may have caused myself some damage. I remember walking along the streets and seeing cigarette packages and surgeons operating on peoples insides. I thought then of my lifestyle and my smoking and drinking. I would also eat excessively and drink heavily which regularly caused me excessive bloat. I remember for the following two nights after my main evening meal I would tried to swallow two health tablets and as soon as I had done, It felt as if I hadnít swallowed them properly, as if they were stuck somewhere, I remember all my efforts didnít rectify or making this feeling any better. Then during that night whilst I was out my temperature started to rise and I was sweating excessively, I remember feeling the need to cough up the tablets I had recently swallowed, I had problems doing this but I think I managed to cough up some traces of the tablets, I remember feeling better after that.
    I remember that when I was out on the night time I felt so unwell that I wanted to go back to my hotel room. I did and I remember the night sleeping I was in a panic, I would keep getting hot and then be sweating and then go cold. I remember being paranoid about the feeling of having something stuck in my throat.
    My holiday was coming close to an end and I had already extended my visit for an extra week days previously. I planned to visit another part of the island and stay there in accommodation and then flight back. The accommodation and flights were all booked. However, I remember feeling so bad on the day that I was due to move to my new accommodation, that I decided to fly back on my original flight. I felt like I was dying. I had no energy and was lethargic. On the four hour flight back I slept through the whole trip. When I got back to England I went straight to the hospital A&E Ė I was complaining that I could barely breathe. I looked weak and exhausted. The doctor said my tests come back fine, blood pressure, finger pulse monitor and the doctor took a blood test from an artery (something to do with higher oxygenated blood I think). The doctor concluded that I wasnít short of breath. He said that I was taking breaths that were either too big or too small and I needed to take a breath somewhere between the two.
    For the following 7-14 days I was sleeping for 16 hours and awake for 8 hours in a 24 hour period. I rarely ever saw the daylight.
    For the following 5 months after that I remember telling one of my university friends that I was always heaving (And that reminds me of the way I was heaving the night I drank the alcohol on fire). From January to August I hadnít changed my drinking or smoking habits very much and continued to do that normally, but was still experiencing the heaving, at some points it just felt like I was gagging or activating the muscles of the gag reflex. During July-August I realised that I need to change my habits as I was drinking daily and smoking quite continuously.

My breathing problem hasnít stopped, I still constantly feel like I canít catch my breath. I feel my breathing is laboured and maybe this wears me out and thatís why Iím so tired. I have a lot of chest-tightness. I generally feel fine in all other respects (donít get colds or flu very much).
    I cannot say though that I put this completely down to the drinking the alcohol on fire trick, even though I imagine this has added to my stress and panic. The holiday was meant to be a break for me. I was in the final year of university and my mother had been diagnosed with cancer. All this had been on my mind. I remember being very upset by the end of the holiday, I felt unwell.
    In January I went to see my University doctor I told the doctor what happened. The doctors didnít seemed to be concerned about the alcohol on fire that I drank Ė they said it burns at a low temperature and probably went out pretty quickly. I told my doctor about how I had been feeling. My momís condition was getting worse. After that I was having: nightmares, hypersomnia 12-16 hours sleep, no appetite, feeling like Iím choking and the terrible feeling that I canít catch my breath. My whole chest lifts up to fill and stops because it wonít fill up anymore and the breath donít feel satisfactory.
    I have done anxiety breathing exercises and relaxation techniques like there is online. Thereís one that says ĎCanít catch your breathí Ė itís because you forgot to exhale. You need to do belly breathing. The thing is my breathing just feels terrible and so much effort.
    I have had a lot of stress the last twelve months, finishing my degree was very difficult and there was an enormous amount of workload. I think my moms condition and all the other stress and anxieties in my life has maybe had an effect on my subconscious mind. I find it unlikely that something external would affect me internally though and itís so annoying because I feel powerless over my breathing panic attacks.
    I had a chest-Xray come back all clear. I had a wheezy chest and the doctor has put me on blue and brown inhalors for supposed asthma. I did used to have asthma as a child but I believe I grew out of it. The last time I took inhalors was about 14 years ago. I have always been physically fit, running, swimming etc. I have been prone to chest infections in my life. Since stopping smoking for the last 4 months I have noticed I donít have the problem of excess mucus production. I believe my ability to hold my breath is considerably reduced Ė I remember swimming this summer and when underwater swimming I couldnít hold my breath for very long.
    I am waiting for some blood tests coming back. I feel tired and I donít have much energy. Although I am on varied diet now of proteins, fruits, veg, vits, mins, and carbs. I also exercise regularly.
    My sleeping doesnít make much sense to me. I regularly sleep 12 hours a day, on average 10 hours, sometimes 9hours. Not usually less than that. And I usually go to bed in the early hours of the morning about 2am or 4am, sometimes I got to bed at midnight. It doesnít seem to make that much difference because I always wake up at around 1:30-2pm. I have tried setting my alarm clock but I canít seem to get up any earlier than I do because I am utterly exhausted and in a completely deep sleep mode.
    My mind canít seem to rest. Apart from my breathing, oversleeping and fatigue (low energy), I feel fine. I know the anti-depressants also make you tired and lethargic but I was sleeping twelve hours a day before I started them and that was in June, July, August time (I was sleeping all around the clock then, sometimes 6am Ė 6pm). I have regularly always slept through the day and Iím awake at night. Itís hard for me to naturally fall into any other pattern.
    I currently live with my mom and sheís still terminally ill but sheís getting by and sheís lived a year since she was diagnosed. I have been living with her for the last 4 months whilst trying to decide about moving on with my life and getting a career or continuing further study. The trouble is that all the circumstances in my life have left me feeling the way I do now. I stopped drinking alcohol and smoking in Aug-Sep 2012 and as I result I feel much better, fitter and healthier. However, the panic breathing attacks are still with me and they are different everyday, sometimes terrible and other times I just know itís there because I can feel the tightness in that area.
    I know Iíve shared a lot, but this is all thatís on my mind and I wanted to share it, because although I read many forums, I donít read many like my story.
    I look forward to reading anyoneís shares and responses. Letís hope we can help each other solve our problems.
    Mr.21stCentury.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
    asthma attack, depression anxiety stress sadness dread, excessive sleepiness, hypersomnia, panic attack disorder anxiety