It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Can i cut a 20mg Citalopram in half ????

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-03-2013, 02:07 PM   #1
    mh8021
    (female)

mh8021 HB User
    Can i cut a 20mg Citalopram in half ????

I was prescribed to take 20mg of Citalopram every day for anxiety ... Well I am scared to take the medicine, my mom told me to just cut it in half and start with that but I am not sure if its ok to do that.. Can anyone help ? I was also prescribed Vistaril 25 mg any one have any thought on that also ? I am someone who is scared to take any medicine so starting these meds and got going well :-)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2013, 03:00 PM   #2
    iAlmostDo
    (female)

iAlmostDo HB User
    Re: Can i cut a 20mg Citalopram in half ????

I think I only take 10mg (I think, because I'm out currently). I started at a lower dose (5mg), but it wasn't working so my psych gave me a higher dose. It works for me. Anyway, as I was running out of meds (and scripts), I cut mine in half and it seemed to be okay for me. Maybe you should call the pharmacy, or better yet, the doctor's office?

This probably wasn't much help! You seem more enthusiastic, and I'm glad to "hear" that!

Old 07-03-2013, 03:01 PM   #3
    HopefulDoll
    (female)

HopefulDoll HB User

Hi there,

I was prescribed Citalopram a few months ago- 10mg.
    Like you, I don't like taking medication,so my doc said I could halve my 10mg tablet for a couple of weeks and then move to the full tablet. I've had no problems on Citalopram, quite the opposite, it has helped me a lot. I had just a couple of side effects for the first few days but nothing bad at all.

Citalopram comes in 10mg tablets so why don't you take it like that for a few weeks and then move to the 20mg tablets? It would also make it easier to adjust to the higher dose slowly.

Best wishes to you.

The Following User Says Thank You to HopefulDoll For This Useful Post:
    mh8021 (07-04-2013)
    Old 07-03-2013, 05:50 PM   #4
    mh8021
    (female)

mh8021 HB User

Thanks iAlmostDo I am trying to convince myself to take this medicine

Old 07-03-2013, 08:33 PM   #5
    Seekingpeace12
    (male)

Seekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB User

Mhaines, I saw your other post about the neck pains, dizziness and the side pains. I am including a list of additional symptoms below. Please check these symptoms and see if you suffer from any of these as well (These are related to Lyme Disease which I have and that is why I recognized your symptoms right away):

Anxiety, panic attacks, Fatigue/tiredness, Sadness/Depression, Headaches, Blurred Vision, Dizziness, Vertigo, body Chills, Heartburn, stomach pain, Low abdominal pain, Cramps, Stiff neck, Crying, Lightheadedness, Dizziness, Vertigo, Back pain, Chest pain, Palpitations, Nausea, Diarrhea, Low Tempeature Fevers, Facial Numbness, Disturbed Sleep, Poor concentration, Memory Loss, Irritability, Eye pain, Ear ringing/buzzing, Jaw pain, Sore throat, Swollen glands, Testicular or pelvic pain, Tingling/numbness/burning, Painful joints, Stiff joints, Sore muscles, Sore soles( esp in the AM), Obvious muscle weakness, Tremor, Light sensitivity, Sound sensitivity, Unexplained weight loss, unexplained weight gain, Erectile dysfunction, Loss of libido, Heart murmur or valve prolapse, Head congestion, Breathlessness, “air hunger”
    unexplained chronic cough, Night sweats.

Closed Thread