It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Anxiety and hobbies

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-04-2013, 06:02 AM   #1
    tom000107
    (male)

tom000107 HB User
    Unhappy Anxiety and hobbies

So i have been suffering from anxiety for about a year now. i first noticed in school after a panic attack about a relationship and it mutated from there really. it has affected me in many ways but the one thing that bothers me the most is it affecting my hobbies.

I have played drums for just over 3 years now and to begin with my anxiety did not touch my hobbies but recentely id say over the past 7 months it has been. At one point it go to the point where i couldn't even enjoy my favourite music anymore. Right now however i am not enjoying playing drums at all and even thinking about it or tapping out a small rythme send me into the worst mood ever and honestly makes me exhausted. I am also in a band as well which i have always wanted to do since i started playing but now its just like meh.

I am on Citalopram 10mg but it doesn't seems to even be doing anything right now. I also came out of therapy because i had a couple of weeks where everything was fine.

I would just like to know if anyone else has suffered in this way and some advice on how to get past this?

Thanks for your time in reading this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2013, 11:16 PM   #2
    Lydia44
    (female)

Lydia44 HB User
    Re: Anxiety and hobbies

Hi Tom. I too suffer from Anxiety as well as OCD, and there was a time when I couldn't do ANYTHING without my anxiety taking over and making me feel very powerless and irritated. I experience a scary situation when I was younger and since then have had anxiety as well as OCD. Interesting that our anxiety came from stressful situations and continued to grow. I understand what you are talking about, with the anxiety trying to take over your hobbies, happened to me as well. I keep telling myself, I am strong and I can beat the deceiving anxiety.

Is the anxiety over not playing the drums well or making a mistake or is it over something else?

Old 10-27-2013, 02:42 PM   #3
    tom000107
    (male)

tom000107 HB User
    Re: Anxiety and hobbies

Excuse the stupidly late reply, i didnt get an email notification :/ just an update it seems to have moved on my from drumming really and it was mainly due to mistakes and stuff but i can play again now just not for long period of times, the trouble i am having now is my personality as a whole. I listen to metal music and as you may know its very much more a way of life than a music genre, but id say for about 3 months now, i haven't been able to get into any form of metal music or even rock. Among this my usual clothing that i would wear it makes me feel bad, basically the same as it was with my drumming

Last edited by msmod; 10-27-2013 at 03:18 PM.

Closed Thread

Tags
    anxiety, citalopram, generalized anxiety, hobbies, therapy