It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• My story

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-02-2013, 11:13 PM   #1
    rosiegem
    (female)

rosiegem HB User
    My story

Hi

I'm 17 and I've been anxious for as long as I can remember. It wasn't until January this year that I was diagnosed with Generalised Anxiety Disorder and Panic Disorder. I had just graduated High School and was going through a dark stage. I didn't want to talk to anybody, I was afraid to leave the house and I couldn't really work out why.

I have always been incredibly anxious about my weight (I'm 5"8 and 125 pounds, so definitely not over weight) so I was going out for a run. I only ran for a couple of minutes before I began to feel an awful pain in my stomach. I assumed it was just period pains so I kept running until the pain was so bad that I couldn't run anymore. I curled up in a ball on the ground and tried to breathe but I couldn't - I couldn't breathe deep enough. Before I knew it I was hyperventilating and crying in a ball on the side of the road. I tried to call my parents but for some reason I couldn't hear them on the other end of the phone. It took me a few minutes to realize that was because I had headphones in and the headphones weren't in my ears. My brain wasn't working. I managed to vaguely tell Dad where I was and he came and got me. The second I got in the car, I was fine. I was so embarrassed that I'd made a scene out of clearly nothing but then Mum told me she thought I'd had a panic attack so she took me to the doctor.

It was then that the doctor referred me to a clinical psychologist where I got my diagnosis. Everything suddenly became clear to me. I know understood that it wasn't normal to stress about these minute things that I spend days panicking about. It all made sense.

My psychologist taught me many ways to train my brain to overcome my anxiety to keep it under control. This mainly helps when I feel an attack coming on. 10 months later and I still feel panic coming on 2 or 3 times a day and I still stress about everything but now I know to breathe to make it okay. I shake and feel like I've downed 3 coffees in 10 minutes most of the time and ah god, those chest pains, not to mention the tingly legs and constant feeling of vomit or diarrhea coming on. I'm so used to it now.

In the past week I think I have finally worked out the root of all my anxiety issues but I am so afraid of voicing it.

I'm originally from Australia but I am living in America for six months alone. I'm finding it really difficult not to have someone to talk to about my thoughts and struggles. Obviously, I can't have my psychologist while I'm here so I thought I would try out this website to try and find some support.

Help me out guys!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
    Adoracaregiver
    (female)

Adoracaregiver HB User
    Re: My story

I feel for you. My anxiety started at 19 and I was diagnosed with everything from gall bladder problems to IBS before I found out it was G A D. I've done okay for awhile, but being in a new situation (I've recently retired and am home all day) it has reared its ugly head.

You are not alone.

Closed Thread

Tags
    anxiety, fear, panic, weight, young