It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• dr tapering me from celexa to paxil

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-23-2013, 08:13 AM   #1
    Janice906
    (female)

Janice906 HB User
    dr tapering me from celexa to paxil

My pdoc wants to taper me from celexa to paxil. I'm on 30 mg. of celexa now. She wants me to taper from 30 to 20, in a week, then start 10 mg. of paxil with that for a week. Then week after 10 mg celexa with 10 mg paxil, then week after that 5 mg. celexa for a week then stop, then going to just 20 mg. of paxil.
    I'm terrified of serotonin syndrome and withdrawal symptoms from celexa and combined affects of start up of paxil together. I don't want to be sick.

Has anyone done this? Any responses would be so much appreciated.
    Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2013, 09:07 AM   #2
    Deborah6021
    (female)

Deborah6021 HB User
    Re: dr tapering me from celexa to paxil

I did that, except from Zoloft to Paxil. You won't get serotonin syndrome because that only happens when you get too much. The withdrawal won't happen because you are tapering slow. You are going from one SSRI to another. You could add 5 mg of Paxil during your last week of 5mg Celexa like I did with Zoloft. Then taper up from there so you won't get any side effects. Talk to your Dr about it.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:46 AM   #3
    Janice906
    (female)

Janice906 HB User

Thank you so much for responding. I chickened out on the paxil, but just started the cross over with prozac instead, exactly as the dr. said to do with the paxil.
    Still scared.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:01 AM   #4
    Deborah6021
    (female)

Deborah6021 HB User

Try not to be scared. Everything will be ok. Side effects should be very minimal. You can always start off on a lower dose of the Prozac. You'll do great.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:18 AM   #5
    Janice906
    (female)

Janice906 HB User

I was also reading about neuroleptic malignant syndrome. That just adds to my anxiety of serotonin syndrome. Any positive thoughts would be so appreciated. Thank You, and how are you doing with your switch?

Old 11-03-2013, 01:25 PM   #6
    Deborah6021
    (female)

Deborah6021 HB User

Don't worry about serotonin syndrome. Your Dr is doing the right thing by tapering off one and going to another. So you're good.
    I haven't been on an SSRI since March. Tried Paxil for the 2nd time and it caused me more anxiety. Now trying Lexapro. I tried it 6 years ago and did fine with it until my husband passed away and I started having panic attacks on it, so I switched to Zoloft. So far, I have had more anxiety than I started and am afraid to do anything. I have anticipation anxiety like crazy. I don't think this is the right drug for me. My appetite is worse on the 10 mg than the 5mg. I don't know what to do.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:59 PM   #7
    Deborah6021
    (female)

Deborah6021 HB User

Oh, and I misread your first post. I said something about adding 5mg paxil at the end and realized your Dr was adding it during your taper. Which is perfectly normal. Mine did that too. So tell me have you started the Prozac yet? What is your dosage? I'm thinking that Prozac might be a better choice for me, but I'm having so many side effects right now I can't handle anymore :-(

Old 11-03-2013, 04:12 PM   #8
    Janice906
    (female)

Janice906 HB User

Hi,
    I've come down from 30 mg. celexa to 20 mg for one week. Starting today I'm taking 10 mg. celexa with 10 mg. prozac for a week, then 5 mg. celexa with 20 mg prozac for one week, then dropping the celexa and staying on just 20 mg. prozac.
    I'm sorry for the loss of your husband. My husband passed on too, 15 years ago.

I believe that you can be switched (or cross tapered) from Lexapro to Prozac; am I right?

Old 11-03-2013, 05:06 PM   #9
    Deborah6021
    (female)

Deborah6021 HB User

I think so. But I have such bad side effects on meds that I need to be off of one completely. I guess my anxiety is so bad right now the meds are really having an effect on me. I'm a mess right now. Feeling horrible. Can't get this anxious feeling to go away. I need to take my Xanax but I have to wait till bedtime.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:13 PM   #10
    Janice906
    (female)

Janice906 HB User

I'm sorry that you're feeling so badly. I know exactly how you feel. I have severe anxiety, panic and have a very difficult time even thinking about going into stores. It's just awful to be this way. I wish that there was a magic pill to erase all of these horrible feelings.
    I'm also in klonopin tolerance withdrawal. It happened in June when I had to be on an antibiotic for sinus infection and it completlely wiped out all of the effects of the Klonopin and still is. I'm on 2 and 1/4 1 mg. pills per day but they might as well be sugar pills because they do nothing. I'm actually in fact withdrawing without being taken off the meds. The effects are the same as before I started them approximately 7 years ago.Anxiety, panic, and as I said, nearly agorophobia.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:02 AM   #11
    Deborah6021
    (female)

Deborah6021 HB User

Hopefully the Prozac will work for you. Maybe you need to up the dose on the Klonopin? Unless you want to wean off of it. I know when I upped my dose of Lexapro I had to take .5 Zanax just to handle the side effects. But I've only become agoraphobic since starting the Lexapro. So I'm going down on the dose today to see if it's just too much for me. Last night I didn't sleep very good because I was so anxious yesterday. Today I'm determined to have a better day.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:27 AM   #12
    Janice906
    (female)

Janice906 HB User

Hi,

I was originally on 4 mg. klonopin per day 3 years ago, but came down to 2 1/4, 2 years ago, so I won't be upping the dose. I hope you feel better today. Let me know?

Old 11-04-2013, 04:29 AM   #13
    Janice906
    (female)

Janice906 HB User

BTW, How much lexapro are you taking, and by how much will you reduce it?

Old 11-04-2013, 04:58 AM   #14
    Deborah6021
    (female)

Deborah6021 HB User

Hopefully as you go up on the Prozac you won't need as much Klonopin. But that stinks it's not working for you anymore. I started out on 5mg Lexapro for two weeks. It was a rough 2 weeks. Lost my appetite even more than before I started and had bad anxiety all day. I did start to feel a little better at the end of the two weeks, so I got brave and upped the dose as the Dr stated. 4 days of sheer hell. I can't take the all day anxiety and crippling nausea. I have to force myself to eat. So I'm going back down to 5 mg today.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:01 AM   #15
    Deborah6021
    (female)

Deborah6021 HB User

Are the switching you to Prozac because the Celexa isn't working anymore?

Closed Thread