It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Anxiety sufferer - First time using this site, CITALOPRAM HELL PLEASE HELP?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-18-2014, 06:46 PM   #1
    Rosiez
    (female)

Rosiez HB User
    Anxiety sufferer - First time using this site, CITALOPRAM HELL PLEASE HELP?

I didn't know what to do, I hope I have posted in the right place.
    Basically I am a single mother with not much support around and have always suffered from anxiety since I was a child or can remeber.it is starting to effect my life seriously so I went Back To the dr(as I have many times in the past along with psychologists etc) but have always put off using meds because I am afraid of them for many reasons so have always dealt,isolating myself and not leaving the house for months becoming sick and panic attacks in the middle of the night etc. but now I have a child so cannot let myself get stuck in this again.

Anyway- I started taking 20mg citalopram only 2 days ago and immediately became cloudy. Both nights I have woken and not been able to go back to sleep, the second night was absolutely terrifying and I had a panick attack and was sure I heard someone coming into the house. Even though some part of me knew it was not real,I was so full of panic I didn't listen to my logic and I stayed up talkin to myself and trying to breath and panicking about panicking again the rest of the night.
    The next morning (thismorning) I found my cheese in the freezer and kitchen utensils in the fridge. I am feeling better now but I was feeling ery disconnected the last two days (I have not taken the meds today) felt crazy, spacedout, and sort if like I was on crack at the same time but in a way that I was not motivated at all just glued to the couch with my mind going a million miles per hour
    I don't know if I should take my med today and keep going? I really need some advice as I have no one to help me through this and it is so scary to wake up in such fear and feel so crazy..I am also seeing things in the corner of my eye and I am also on quitiapine for anxiety and to sleep but now it keeps me up and does not keep me asleep while I take these antidepressants,I have to take another when I wake up through the night and even then I can hardly sleep...
    I'm not myself and I hardly know what I've done the whole day,should I take my pill today and carry on?
    Please help!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2014, 11:23 PM   #2
    flitz
    Inactive
    (male)

flitz HB Userflitz HB Userflitz HB Userflitz HB Userflitz HB Userflitz HB User
    Re: Anxiety sufferer-First time using this site,CITALOPRAM HELL PLEASE HELP?

call your doc and get a med change. Quitiapine is an antipsychotic drug and can be used adjuvantly for anxiety and or depression but it quite potent the synergy between that and the ssri is possibly not a good match for you. Ask your doc about putative sleep meds if that's what you need for sleep remeron, trazadone are ones at low doses as well as many tricyclics again if that's what you need you may also do well to use a benzodiazepine along with them oppossed to an antipsychotic. If he feels you need an ap med then one that is a bit more sedating may be better and one that doesn't hit serotonergic sites as hard, zyprexa or risperdal may be better abilify is a finicky drug for some it works great but others find it very stimulating, but do call him/her and see if a better match between your drugs can be found. Your dose of citalopram can be lowered by much as well, but there is hope, so don't loose it this is just a bump in the road. Anxiety tends to respond to either an antideprassant or an anxiolytic like a benzo, sometimes one, or the other or both are needed but it is easiest and safest to stat with a benzo first since the results are almost immediate and then if needed slowly titrate an ad med form very low doses to higher doses as tolerated and if they aren't tolerated then it gets replaced or ommited.

Last edited by msmod; 01-19-2014 at 05:52 AM.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:32 AM   #3
    happy today
    (female)

happy today HB User

My hubby is on same med, has been for several years. Has terrible depression and anxiety, I agree with above. He continues to have same issues, going to make appt w/ Psy to get on right meds. It is awful.

God bless you. Keep us posted.

Happy today

Old 01-19-2014, 05:11 PM   #4
    deebeekay
    (female)

deebeekay HB User

Do please action getting a change of meds, and change your doctor if they are not willing to include you as a partner in discussion/reasoning about your health treatment!
    1) anxiety in itself, especially long-term, is BAD for your health. Stress causes an increase of a hormone=cortisol that can cause physical ill-effects. I had non-remitting (actually increasing) stress & anxiety over a period of years, (relationship breakdown, financial issues, destructive earthquakes, employer issues, teenager issues) which eventually led to an intra-cerebral haemorrhage and stroke. THAT is more tricky to deal with than anxiety alone, I can assure you.
    2) So please look after yourself. Get counselling for anxiety if you can. I was making good progress with a great psychologist using a personalized CBT approach, but eventually I could not afford to continue, which I regret.
    3) I take citalopram without suffering those negative side-effects. If I had those, I would certainly not continue to take it - but you need to TELL your doctor the side effects it is giving you and not just stop the med!
    I was taking a low-dose of citalopram pre-brain hemorrhage. I was resistant to taking drugs, like you. My GP is very sensitive to personal needs, and listens. However the 'head' consulting psychiatrist told my brain-injury doctors when I was in hospital that 20mg is 'a baby dose' that could not help me in my present situation so it was upped to 40mg/day. This has had no ill-effects except perhaps to increase my restful sleep. I say this not in support of citalopram but to show that it's 'different strokes for different folks' and may take some work with your helath-care professional to get your dosage (of anything) right.
    For this reason its always best to choose as that person somebody you trust and with whom you can be completely frank.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:41 AM   #5
    happy today
    (female)

happy today HB User
    Re: Anxiety sufferer - First time using this site, CITALOPRAM HELL PLEASE HELP?

Dear Rosiez

My husband is on same med as you for past two years. I researched it yesterday, he also has terrible anxiety. It said from the drug co. One of the side effects is anxiety!!! He also takes klonipan up to 3 times per day as needed.

It seems that PCP's should research a drug a bit more. He was given it for depression, but it was noted he also has anxiety. I agree with all to call your Dr and change meds. Please keep us posted.

God bless

Happy today

Closed Thread