It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Anxiety over upcoming surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-24-2014, 02:02 PM   #1
    KelleyH
    (female)

KelleyH HB User
    Anxiety over upcoming surgery

Hi there. I am a longtime anxiety sufferer. I have been having panic attacks since I was a kid. I have been on anti-anxiety meds since 2001 and I see a therapist. My anxiety is usually over health related issues. So I have to have sinus surgery on Monday and my anxiety is through the roof!!! I had my pre-op appt yesterday which made it seem all the more real. I was just hoping maybe someone here could help me with my fears. I have never had surgery before where I had to be knocked out. I had a C-section with my 2nd child and that was bad enough. Im very worried about what its going to feel like being put under as well as possible complications of the anesthesia. Im also fearful about the surgery itself. the fact that its my sinuses and being so close to the brain makes me really scared. I have been dealing with chronic sinusitis since last June. It has not gone away and has only gotten worse. I have daily headaches, sinus pain and pressure, post nasal drip and a horrible stench in my nose. I am tired constantly and can hardly wake up in the morning and want to sleep all day - which isn't good with 2 kids (age 6 and 2). I had thought about sucking it up and just living like this because im so scared but I cant take how tired and sick I feel every day. I want my energy back. I just want to feel better again. I have been on every antibiotic possible and have done nasal sprays, saline sprays, and neti pot with no help. so Monday I am having endoscopic surgery on both sides and they are fixing my deviated septum. I want to feel better but I don't want to die either! anyway I have been in full on panic mode since yesterday. so any helpful advice would be appreciated! thank you!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2014, 05:30 PM   #2
    flitz
    Inactive
    (male)

flitz HB Userflitz HB Userflitz HB Userflitz HB Userflitz HB Userflitz HB User
    Re: Anxiety over upcoming surgery

To fix a deviated septum requires about 20-30 minutes of surgery so usually they use propofal it works so fast you won't feel it and recover quickly no side effects. You will have packing in your nose for a few days. They won't be near your brain and I haven't read any obituary about someone dying during septum surgery. I know having an anxiety issue nothing will help you calm down, but be assured this is a safe easy and very common surgery.

Last edited by msmod; 01-24-2014 at 05:32 PM.

Old 01-25-2014, 02:30 PM   #3
    KelleyH
    (female)

KelleyH HB User

Thank you. Actually the reason why I am so freaked out is because I do know of someone who died after sinus surgery. My friend's friend died last year. She was a mother of 3 (including a 6 month baby) and had sinus surgery - went home - her husband went out to get the kids and when he returned she was bleeding out in the bathroom. She ended up dying later that day. so I keep thinking about how she probably didn't think either that something like that could happen but now she's dead and her children have lost their mother. so even though I keep telling myself its a relatively safe surgery I have all that in the back of my head.

Old 01-25-2014, 03:10 PM   #4
    Bea590
    (female)

Bea590 HB User

Wow, I can understand your anxiety. Stories like this kept me from having the surgery for many years. Did they ever find out why it happened?

Old 01-25-2014, 05:06 PM   #5
    KelleyH
    (female)

KelleyH HB User

I don't know what happened. I don't know her. a ** friend of mine was posting about her friend dying and how she was in shock etc. I asked what happened and she told me what I said above. I don't think she knew too many details as to why it happened. I talked to my ENT and mentioned it and he said it was possible she could have had a blood clotting disorder and that's why she hemorrhaged. But it really touched me at the time and then my sinus troubles started about 4 months later. so when I heard I needed surgery this story was all I could think about.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:30 AM   #6
    flitz
    Inactive
    (male)

flitz HB Userflitz HB Userflitz HB Userflitz HB Userflitz HB Userflitz HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KelleyH View Post
    I don't know what happened. I don't know her. a ** friend of mine was posting about her friend dying and how she was in shock etc. I asked what happened and she told me what I said above. I don't think she knew too many details as to why it happened. I talked to my ENT and mentioned it and he said it was possible she could have had a blood clotting disorder and that's why she hemorrhaged. But it really touched me at the time and then my sinus troubles started about 4 months later. so when I heard I needed surgery this story was all I could think about.
    There are risks and a multitude of contingencies as to why anyone suffers comlications of surgery or the use of medication to treat diseases. The risk for death as the consequence of sinus surgery even with a bleeding disorder, which would hopefully have been disclosed prior to surgery, is about as common as being struck by lightening frmo a blue sky in the middle of winter and simultaneously winning the lottery. Not really sure about this analogy, but you get the picture. There are several large venous structures in the back of the nasal septum and they can bleed profusely if ruptured. They bleed to the back of the throat and with quick attention can be surgically corrected. If they were ruptured by the doc it is malpractice, if she had a pre existing morbid conditon that may cause a rupture he should have known about it prior to surgery and most docs who do these procedures routinely and are board certified ent docs would. I know you will have a tendency to dwell on the negative, it is part and parcel to an anxiety disorder, but the actual fear of the risk of death is statistically so small that worry is simply not worth it. Everyone worries and is anxious about any procedure from a root cannal, to an tonsilectomy and that is a normal fear and expected. If that fear prevents your going through the procedure then you are giving your anxiety control over your life and in some instances your death. If you have a deep dwelling infection in the sinus tissue above your eyes that can only be suctioned out for removal and it isn't removed this can spread to brain. That is truly rare but certainly more possible then dying from the surgery itself. A note of interest, pediatric ent docs or ones who do a lot of children have smaller instruments and a better skill set for using them.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:03 PM   #7
    KelleyH
    (female)

KelleyH HB User

Thank you - I know all this to be true too but the anxiety has taken over. all I keep thinking is the worst. I have been crying all day. I just want this over with. or for tomorrow to never come. ive never been so scared before. I just took a Xanax and im hoping it will relax me some. but this is so hard. tomorrows going to be worse.

Last edited by msmod; 01-27-2014 at 05:42 AM.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:30 PM   #8
    Star4Gazer
    (female)

Star4Gazer HB User

KelleyH,
    I am headed back to surgery this friday and the my anxiety has started to kick in also. I too have anxiety issues and just saw my counselor today in fact. She explained its totally normal to feel nervous, take your anxiety meds if needed (first check w/ your dr. that its not going to interfere with anything), talk it out with family or friends to get support. But you've already started that by reaching out here in the message boards so you are being proactive on calming your fears. That tells me you know how to care for yourself. Our anxiety is fear of things that have even happened to us yet. Easier said then done I know, but keep doing what your doing by talking it out, rally your support team and keep the faith sweetie. Your going to do great!

Old 01-26-2014, 11:01 PM   #9
    KelleyH
    (female)

KelleyH HB User

Thank you!!! I hope so!!!! I hope the drs don't think I'm too nuts tomorrow!!!

Last edited by msmod; 01-27-2014 at 05:43 AM.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:23 AM   #10
    Star4Gazer
    (female)

Star4Gazer HB User

KelleyH,

Best of luck and be sure to let us know how your doing.

Old 01-27-2014, 04:43 AM   #11
    KelleyH
    (female)

KelleyH HB User

Thank you. Im having trouble getting out of bed right now. Im terrified. I don't know if I can go through with this

Last edited by msmod; 01-27-2014 at 05:44 AM.

Old 01-28-2014, 04:03 PM   #12
    Berkboston
    (female)

Berkboston HB User

Just wanted to check in to see how you're doing after the surgery. Hope all went well!

Old 01-28-2014, 06:27 PM   #13
    Star4Gazer
    (female)

Star4Gazer HB User

KellyH, Hope everything went well. )

Old 01-29-2014, 07:41 PM   #14
    KelleyH
    (female)

KelleyH HB User

Thank you! The surgery went fine! They gave me drugs to relax me then I don't remember anything else till they woke . Me up. Since home I'm still in alot of pain. Headaches, nose feels clogged and sore, ear pressure. I've been taking pain meds and staying in bed. Now I just want to start feeling better!

Last edited by msmod; 01-30-2014 at 07:59 AM.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:49 AM   #15
    Star4Gazer
    (female)

Star4Gazer HB User

Glad you had a good experience. Wish you well on your healing.

Closed Thread