It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Neuropathy? Anxiety? Fibro? HELP

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-12-2014, 02:36 PM   #1
    Worried user
    (male)

Worried user HB User
    Unhappy Neuropathy? Anxiety? Fibro? HELP

Hi guys,
    I am in desperate need of help, I am an emotional mess right now because of worrying about my health. My family think I'm a hypochondriac, and I began to think so too. But something doesn't add up. I've been getting these neurological symptoms. Mainly twitching that mostly occurs when relaxing all over my body. I also experience fatigue, and muscles easily tiring. As well as this I sometimes get hot/cold tingling in my calfs after walking for a long time. Muscle cramping occurs easily as well when trying to exercise. I do have some tender points around my body, which makes me think it could be fibromyalgia? But I'm so confused!

This all started when I had epididymitis, and I began to worry and abnormal amount. I took ciprofloxacin which apparently is known to give peripheral neuropathy. So maybe that's what it is?

I've been to the doctors countless times, I've had a general blood test which showed up with 'perfect results'. My urine PH showed no sign of infection after epididymitis. My most recent visit to the doctor has put my symptoms down to anxiety, but I'm not sure. I don't think he fully understands. I haven't been to a neurologist because no doctor had referred me. I'm driving my parents crazy too.
    I was really fit before this all occurred. I recently passed my lifeguard course and got a job, but now I doubt I can do it! I feel really depressed and anxious all the time, and can't stop googling my symptoms. I can't concentrate on my work, or switch off for 5 minutes, I'm too young for stuff like this. So please can someone give me some advice, it would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-16-2014 at 06:36 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2014, 05:29 PM   #2
    Mariner403
    (male)

Mariner403 HB UserMariner403 HB User
    Re: Neuropathy? Anxiety? Fibro? HELP

Whoa there, pardner; you're getting waay ahead of yourself!

First: it's highly unlikely that ciprofloxacin or any other prescription medication can cause neuropathy. I think that falls into the "anything's possible" column, but that's about as far as it goes. The underlying causes of neuropathy are often very elusive, and about 40% of the time it's reduced down to "idiopathic", meaning "we don't have a clue".

Second: a couple of your complaints (symptoms) are somewhat suggestive of neuropathy, but the only way to find out about that is to see a neurologist. And here's the thing about referrals: underneath it all, your doctor is a hired hand. You pay him for results! If he/she doesn't think neuropathy is the culprit and you do, all you have to do is ask for -or demand- a referral to a neurologist. You're the boss! And if worse comes to worst and your doc won't give you a referral for some weird reason, there's no law against making an appointment with a neurologist on your own. It would probably be a long wait for an appointment, but it would get the job done. Simple clinical tests and an EMG would likely reveal the presence of neuropathy, or not.

Finally: your doc might be right that anxiety is the underlying cause of some or all of your symptoms. Has he/she prescribed an anti-anxiety med such as diazepam? If not, he should probably consider it... with a low dosage designed to stabilize rather than get high on the "Valium glow".

One of the problems with researching your own issues on the Internet is that you can come away thinking you've got every disorder under the sun, and that can easily create diffuse anxiety. There's a very close and tight connection between mind and body, and it's easy to "overthink" things to the point that your body responds by giving you symptoms of everything from Lyme disease to leprosy. (Before sonograms, "false pregnancies" could show all the symptoms of the real thing, right up to contractions in the delivery room!)

So one thing at a time. Stop messing with your own head via Internet research. Remember this old chestnut: "He who is his own patient has a fool for a doctor". If you think neuropathy is the culprit, see a neurologist... one way or another. Process of elimination. After all, that's what the docs do :-)

Good luck, God bless, and get a good night's sleep!

Frank

Last edited by Administrator; 03-16-2014 at 06:37 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mariner403 For This Useful Post:
    Worried user (03-17-2014)
    Old 03-16-2014, 07:27 PM   #3
    nicelady
    (female)

nicelady HB Usernicelady HB Usernicelady HB User

I researched ciprofloxacin and it can cause numbness, tingling, or unusual pain anywhere in your body. If this caused your problem it will probably go away when the med clears your system.
    I have neuropathy in both feet. I had the pain in both before I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. They say the diabetes caused the neuropathy but my research indicates it takes yesrs of uncontrolled sugar which was surley not the case with me. The podiatrist I first saw said low B12 could cause the nerve damage. I had my B12 checked and it was very low. Because of my age (old) I have been on B12 injections monthly. I do it myself. Who.knows how long my B12 had been low? Guess it really doesn't matter why I have neuropathy but I can tell you it is no picnic. I have constant pain in my feet. I take 1100mg of gabapentin which keeps the psin bearable. This is not pain med. It is a nerve med which calms the nerves.
    I doubt too that you have neuropathy. Whatever good luck in resolving your issues.

The Following User Says Thank You to nicelady For This Useful Post:
    Worried user (03-17-2014)
    Old 03-17-2014, 01:22 AM   #4
    Worried user
    (male)

Worried user HB User

Thank you! I've been so obsessed about this for such a long time. I went back to the doctors AGAIN to see a nurse. And she didn't even do a physcial examination. The nurse said she used to work in a neuro ward so she knows what neuropathy looks like. She said "if I stamped on your toe would you feel it? And do you trip over your own feet?" To both I replied no. She said "you don't have neuropathy". Instead of 'wasting time' she was telling me anxiety techniques. 3 doctors and 5 nurses have not thought it to be anything. So I'm going to believe their advice and admit that im a hypochondriac! My doctor has refered me to get CBT due to the fact I went to him with a list of my worries, and he was clear I had hypochondria by the length of the list!! So we'll see how it goes. If it doesn't go in a while, to a neurologist it is! Thank you for your help!

Old 04-14-2014, 10:21 AM   #5
    pb63
    (male)

pb63 HB User

HI I am having similar symptoms, just wondering how have you been doing?

Closed Thread

Tags
    anixety, disease, neurological muscle disorder twitch spasm, neurological symptoms