It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Lexapro and night sweats....maybe tollerance too

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-29-2003, 10:47 AM   #1
    Leah Greenfield

Leah Greenfield HB User
    Question Lexapro and night sweats....maybe tollerance too

I have been on Lexapro for a few months now and lately been experiencing night sweats. It worked great in the beginning. Felt on top of the world with no side effects, but the depression has come back and I am starting to feel desperate now, especially because of the night sweats on top of it all. Has anyone else experienced night sweats or tollerance for this drug over time. Please help ASAP im falling off the edge. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2003, 01:03 PM   #2
    Faith777
    Inactive

Faith777 HB User
    Leah, I've only been taking Lexapro for six weeks and although I have seen improvement with my anxiety, depression, and dizziness I guess it just hasn't kicked in 100% for me yet. I am waiting patiently
    How long were you taking Lexapro before you began to feel great again? About the night sweats, I have not experienced this at all. I have heard about meds. loosing their effectiveness after years of usage. I don't know your age, but is it possible that this could be hormone related? I'm 42 and I believe some of my anxiety and depression issues might be related to permenopause. If you are too young for this I would suggest that you contact your gynecologist or prescribing doctor about the Lexapro. Have you checked with your pharmacist about this symptom? I contact my pharmacist quicker than I do my doctor about medication questions. Mine is sooooo much more knowledgeable. I look forward to hearing from you!
    Faith

Old 01-29-2003, 05:00 PM   #3
    Leah Greenfield

Leah Greenfield HB User
    Thank you for your reply Faith. I have been on Lexapro for about 5 months now. I am 36 and had no problems with the night sweats until recently, but I also had them when I was on Prozac for a short time. Prozac can often cause this problem, but I was hoping Lexapro would be different. I had to stop taking the Prozac because it quit working for me too after a few months. Man I feel like I must be crazy and this is all in my head. They all work so well in the beginning maybe it really is just me. To answer your question about how long it took for me to feel better after starting the Lexapro? I would have to say that within a few days I actually felt better, after a week I could really tell that this was going to be "The one that finally works." Within two weeks I had lost about 8 lbs and was feeling so healthy and happy. I guess it was too good to be true. I hope it works better for you. I know it has been a real God send for many people. Hang in there and hopefully it will kick in for you soon. Leah

Old 01-30-2003, 11:26 AM   #4
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User
    Drug tolerance can happen even on theraputic doses. It can happen over months/years. As far as perimenopause, the only way to be sure is go to a GYN and ask for a hormone test. A little pricey, but it will show whether or not hormones are abnormal. Also, you can't be in perimenopause unless you are skipping periods, or have light periods, or inbetween bleeding..those are the first symptoms.

Old 01-30-2003, 02:21 PM   #5
    buck58
    Veteran

buck58 HB User
    Leah, I once took paxil, it worked wonderfully, but, the sweating was terrible. So I can sympathize(sp) with you. Actually, that was the reason I had to quit taking it. I now take wellbutrin, and so far its been the only AD that hasn't had any side effects with it, plus it works pretty well too. see ya,
    Buck

Old 01-30-2003, 03:01 PM   #6
    Leah Greenfield

Leah Greenfield HB User
    Thanks a bunch everyone. I really do appreciate your
    input. I will be seeing my GYN soon and general
    Dr. too if problems persist.
    Leah

Old 01-30-2003, 09:23 PM   #7
    Citykittie
    Veteran

Citykittie HB User
    yes I have experienced the night sweats - i try to keep water by my bed to drink and I just try to think maybe I am loosing weight sweating so much.

At first the med worked great - then after about 2 weeks I started getting anxiety at night- I increased by 5 mg and now I am increasing by 5 more. It worked so good at first, and the sweating isn't everynight.

Old 01-31-2003, 05:36 PM   #8
    Faith777
    Inactive

Faith777 HB User
    Citykittie, what dosage of Lexapro are you taking and how long have you been on Lexapro? I'm taking 20mg and have been on Lexapro for almost 6 weeks. I'm still waiting for it to work 100%. I just increased the dosage to 20mg within the last two weeks. Thanks for the info.

Closed Thread