It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Should I stay away from anxiety meds?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-15-2014, 09:21 AM   #1
    Chellybean18
    (female)

Chellybean18 HB UserChellybean18 HB UserChellybean18 HB User
    Should I stay away from anxiety meds?

People I know that have been on meds for anxiety say that they are dependent on them now...but everyday I have so much stress and worry and I can breathe half the time because of some type of fear...sometimes I don't know where the fear is coming from but here lately I do. I've had so much stress since the middle of march...my life feels changed forever..I also have something wrong in my inner ear that is causing me dizziness and nausea daily. Not dizzy spells but CONSTANT dizziness all day everyday for over a month. Before all this happened things were going so well in my life...I just got into a wonderful relationship but now I can't even focus on that. Or anything else for that matter!! Reading hurts my brain right now and I'm in college to be a radiologist which is also stressful. What should I do? If my doc offers me anxiety meds should I take them?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2014, 05:27 PM   #2
    Gamgra
    (male)

Gamgra HB User
    Re: Should I stay away from anxiety meds?

It's pretty interesting because I also am looking into studying radiology, I also suffer from constant dizziness (due to my inner ear and trauma sustained months back), and I also experience so much stress that it effects me physically.

Some doctors are willing to prescribe medication like candy, and this isn't always beneficial. You can take charge of your body and you can beat this stress and anxiety the natural route. Now, with that being said, some people do need medication to control severe anxiety, but who wants to be altering their brain if they don't need it? I know I don't want to.

I would get this dizziness checked out by an ENT, it could be from anxiety or it could be from your semicircular canals in your ear. Have you had an ear infection recently? Do you have any family history or prior ear problems that may be the cause of this?

I would recommend you look into buying a Magnesium Citrate supplement. Magnesium is very beneficial for stress/anxiety management, and studies show over 80% of Americans are most likely deficient in this key mineral. It regulates the heart, mood, metabolic reactions, and many other essentials in the body. I would recommend a 200mg supplement 2-3 times daily. (2 in the morning, 1 at night) This will help you!

I would also recommend you hold off on the medication until you try some natural routes such as the Magnesium aforementioned and possibly some breathing exercises, yoga, tai chi, meditation to help with your stress!

Find balance in your mind and your symptoms will subside. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Old 05-15-2014, 05:30 PM   #3
    Chellybean18
    (female)

Thank you so much! But I've really never had any ear problems my whole life. That's why it's scaring me now. But I'll look into what you said! I haven't gone back to the doctor yet but I will soon.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:33 PM   #4
    Gamgra
    (male)

Gamgra HB User

You're welcome! The ear is a very delicate organ, any type of trauma or imbalance can throw the entire system out of whack. I'm actually in vestibular rehabilitation therapy at this moment to help my brain compensate for the imbalance from the trauma my right ear sustained from an ear infection. I know it's scary, any kind of dizziness can make us nervous. Let me know what the doctor tells you!

Good luck.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:23 PM   #5
    Chellybean18
    (female)

I never knew the ear was such a sensitive organ! But hopefully we can both get back to 100%! I'll post again when I find out more!

Old 05-18-2014, 02:47 PM   #6
    MaryA
    (female)

MaryA HB UserMaryA HB User

Chelly...I think if you are able to get about and function that you should try to stay away from meds. I agree with Gamgra with the natural route. Benzos can be really be habit forming for some, and may cause problems.

The Following User Says Thank You to MaryA For This Useful Post:
    Chellybean18 (05-18-2014)
    Closed Thread

Tags
    anxiety, health anxiety, inner ear disorder