It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Dizzy 24/7

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-11-2003, 06:52 AM   #1
    vince76101

vince76101 HB User
    Unhappy Dizzy 24/7

Hi All
    I have been reading the board for a while and decide to post my story and I hope I can get some ideas from you. Anyway, I have been constantly dizzy 24/7 since April 2002, a week after a panic attack. I have had all the tests done: MRIs, CAT SCAN, blood tests, EKGs, heart monitor, treatmill, and all came out negative. I also went to 2 different ENTs and they said my ear are fine, no inner ear problem. My dizziness also causes my anxiety, hyperventilation as I always feel nervous and when I sleep, I can feel the heart beat thru the vain in my head. My doctor gave me some xanar which helps my anxiety somewhat. Right now, my doctor doesn not know what the problem is. I would like to know if panic attack, anxiety, and hyperventilation can cause dizzy 24/7 and what the best way to overcome this. I feel very depress right now.
    Thank a lot
    Vince

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2003, 11:03 AM   #2
    [chris]

[chris] HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by vince76101:
    Hi All
    I have been reading the board for a while and decide to post my story and I hope I can get some ideas from you. Anyway, I have been constantly dizzy 24/7 since April 2002, a week after a panic attack. I have had all the tests done: MRIs, CAT SCAN, blood tests, EKGs, heart monitor, treatmill, and all came out negative. I also went to 2 different ENTs and they said my ear are fine, no inner ear problem. My dizziness also causes my anxiety, hyperventilation as I always feel nervous and when I sleep, I can feel the heart beat thru the vain in my head. My doctor gave me some xanar which helps my anxiety somewhat. Right now, my doctor doesn not know what the problem is. I would like to know if panic attack, anxiety, and hyperventilation can cause dizzy 24/7 and what the best way to overcome this. I feel very depress right now.
    Thank a lot
    Vince

Sounds like the same sort of problem I have had since Sept. 2002 Vince. I am not totally dizzy, more of an odd feeling where I don't feel normal. I have had battles w/ anxiety in my younger years, but I was sure this was'nt anxiety.
    When it all started I had to stop drinking alcohol/smoking because it made the condition worse. I thought I had a tumor, MS, etc.. I had a CT scan, EGG, and everything appears to be normal. My neurologist says your 'nerves' can make you fell all sorts of ways, and thinks that is what it is.
    I have been on BuSpar for 3 months now and it seems to help *some*. The feelings only seem to happen now, when I am in bright sunlight!? I hope this is only anxiety and it will disappear soon, and I can enjoy my life again!

[This message has been edited by [chris] (edited 02-11-2003).]

[This message has been edited by [chris] (edited 02-11-2003).]

Old 02-11-2003, 02:19 PM   #3
    Subie

Subie HB User
    Hi Vince,
    Sorry to hear about how awful your feeling. Are you dizzy (head spinning) or is it more of an unreal feeling? This is a topic "Feeling Unreal" on this board. Take a look and let me know if this is how your feeling. I had this unreal feeling for a year and a half and didn't know what it was. I had many of the same tests you had done and they were all negative as well. I finally learned that this what I would call "dizziness" was from anxiety and I pretty much have it under control now.
    Subie

Old 02-11-2003, 02:59 PM   #4
    vince76101

vince76101 HB User
    Hi Subie
    I do not have the head spinning (vertigo). It is more like lighheadness/dizziness. How did your get it under control? I really want to know.
    Thank
    Vince

Old 02-11-2003, 03:20 PM   #5
    tracey2775

tracey2775 HB User
    hi there, i remember waking up one morning feeling totally fine. my mam and dad were out shopping so i switched on the tv and lay on the settee. anyway, i got up to change channel or something, and the whole room started spinning. i got really frightened and couldnt wait for my parents to get back.
    when they came in i told mam what had happened and i tried to get up again. as soon as i would try to strighten up the dizziness would be terrific. mam had to hold me to tke me to the toilet, to go up stairs, everything. the first thing i thought is ive got a brian tumor. i had the doctor to the house and he said it was anxiety. he put me on lustral and fluanaxol, which took 5 weeks to kick in. through those 5 weeks i was constantly in bed and if i nedded to get up i would either close my eyes or id have help.
    the tablets did wonders for me. the dizziness totally disappered and i felt great. that was 6 years ago. now and again i get a little dizzy spell but i know its all anxiety and it soon passes.
    sorry to drag this on but i hope this helps a little and to realise your not alone.
    take care

Old 02-12-2003, 09:02 AM   #6
    Subie

Subie HB User
    Hi Vince,
    Sounds as though you may have the same thing I had (still have every once in a while) I called my feeling being dizzy, just like you are. My head didn't spin like vertigo either, but I did feel as though I was unbalanced and that's why I went to an ENT right away. It was difficult to following a conversation, to look someone in the eyes as they were speaking, driving was difficult. When I would be driving and come to a stop light....I would come to a full stop, but it still felt as though I was moving. Does this happen to you? Well, I was on another board and meet a gentleman from Austrialia and he had all the same exact symptoms as me! He said he was on amytriptiline (sp?) which is for depression I believe. At this point I was depressed because for a year plus I didn't know what was wrong with me. I went to my Dr. and started the med (well Thank GOD for this little green pill) I would take one at night. Not only did it knock me out, I slowly started to feel better! My feeling of being "dizzy" weren't as bad. I only use the med for nights I have a tough time falling asleep. I still do feel unreal sometimes, but I now know it's anxiety taking over and I don't become scared anymore! I hope this helps. Feel free to ask me anymore questions.
    take care!

Old 07-29-2004, 06:32 PM   #7
    Bill G.

Bill G. HB User
    Re: Dizzy 24/7

Hey Vince76101, I don't know if this post is still being visited but I finally found someone with identical symptoms to mine. I initially experienced the heart beat sensation in the back of my head when I went to sleep or woke up and that has lasted for about 2 years. 4 months ago I started experiencing the constant dizziness. I also have all the usuall - occasional heart palps, minor shortness of breath and chestpain, uneasiness. Doctors don't know what it is and all the tests (MRI, Echo, EKG, etc) are coming back negative but are starting to get expensive. Most suspect it is anxiety and I've been on Lexapro for 2.5 months which have helped a bit but only for the dizziness. Did you ever find out an answer to your symptoms?

Old 07-30-2004, 07:22 AM   #8
    junior26
    (male)

junior26 HB User

Hey Vince!

I have been feeling exactly the same way for exactly 4 weeks now, 24/7. It's like a "spaced out" feeling isn't it? And trouble concentrating on anything else but that spaced out feeling?

For me, it all started with what seemed like a panic attack when I was just sitting in front of my computer at work. Out of nowhere, bam! Now, it consumes my life. It used to be that my least favorite time of the day was bed time, now it's my favorite time, even though I sleep more or less well. And it's gotten me very depressed as well. And I'm tired all the time. Do your hands fall asleep very easily now?

I have been doing research all day, every day, about this since it all began. I thought I had everything from MS to a brain hemmorhage, to a brain tumor, to a cancer that metastisized to my brain, etc... You name it! In the back of my head, I still think I have something physical, which is causing the anxiety to stay and keeping the lightheadedness from going away, I guess.

You're lucky that your doctors actually performed those tests. I went to the ER twice because I couldn't stand it anymore. And they just say "You're stressed". It seems that my dizziness won't go away until I get some kind of reassurance that I have nothing in my brain. But no, it's not worth their time. They see my blood pressure of 190/110 and a pulse of 135 (because I get really freaked out by going to the hospital) and they start running EKG's even though I went there because of my dizziness! If I would have reassurance that I have nothing wrong in my brain, I'm sure this dizziness would go away.

Anyway, if you find anything that will make your dizziness go away, let me know. I probably won't be able to get a Dr's appointment before mid-2005, assuming I can even find a family doctor. And I doubt that they would prescribe anything that works on the first try.

In any case, I found a "dizziness survey" of what seemed to work for some people. You probably already have seen it. Many of them have inner ear problems, but some of them have the same type of dizziness as us I'm sure. Here's the link...

[url]http://www.conciliocreative.com/dizzy/results.html[/url]

Some people say not to fight the anxiety. The more you fight it, the worse it gets. I guess I'll just stop worrying about it and let it do it's thing. I just have to try to live my life the way I was living it before this happened.

Last edited by junior26; 07-30-2004 at 07:37 AM.

Old 07-30-2004, 07:30 AM   #9
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

And it is the fear of dizziness or light-headness that makes you even more dizzy. I get this and it is totally from anxiety. Even taking Prozac, I still get it. But maybe it will stop once I increase the Prozac from 10mg to 20mg.
    I also have Xanax when I need it.

Andrea

Old 07-30-2004, 05:31 PM   #10
    Princessawa23

Princessawa23 HB User

Hi..My name's Sarah and I have that 24/7 dizziness as well which started 4 months ago after a dental procedure. If all tests have come back negative as mine did I would strongly suggest you look into TMD. Wish I could offer more but I am just beginning my quest to get better. Feel better everyone dealing with this is in my prayers. ----Sarah

Old 07-30-2004, 06:13 PM   #11
    dizzygirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dizzygirl HB User

Hi Everyone,
    I have been posting these EXACT symptoms here for the last 5 months. I too have had all the same tests, all negative, which is good in the end right? I have had such a ahrd time explaining this feeling to people. It was never vertigo for me as well. I have constant throbbing in my head, and sometimes I have pressure behind my nose, go figure. Anyway, there are soooo many of us here with the same problems, so let's take advantage of the support! I have found that xanax is one of the only things that takes away the dizziness. I am currently on paxil, which works somewhat, but the weight gain is putting quite a damper on my normally tiny frame. Hang in there!

Carrie

Old 07-30-2004, 09:18 PM   #12
    Bill G.

Bill G. HB User

That throbbing (heart beat sensation) in my head is what was really wierd. I actually feel it sometimes when I'm not laying down and sometimes not just in my head - if I ware a hat - its there. If I'm really stressed I feel it in my back or even leg. When I have a particularly bad episode in a morning I'll have a "hangover" sensation throughout the day. No doctors seemed to know what it was. One even said: "Sorry, I can't help you, good luck". It was the 24/7 dizziness that came later that really made it difficult to function, though. Thank goodness the Lexapro seems to have kicked that.

Old 07-30-2004, 10:48 PM   #13
    bogmallo
    (male)

bogmallo HB User

I have always been dizzy whenever the panic attacks are bad. All tests come negative

Old 07-31-2004, 09:35 AM   #14
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

If you reallly look at the dizzy situation, unless you have vertigo and the room is spinning or turning upside down and you've been tested (hormones, ears, sinuses, etc.) then the light-headedness and the off balance (and I know this is a pain in the ***) but it does come from anxiety and what I've noticed makes it worse is when we concentrate on it more, also if there is an underlying isue, ex: (thought, fear, something from the past or present) it does cause us to feel this way and possibly we are ignoring or not putting the proper thoughts to it (positive replacement thoughts). I'm noticing that when I'm working out some major trauma or issues, I get dizzy. I'm not sure if the Prozac may be contributing a bit here too, not sure, since I did have it before I took Prozac. But remember, when we are under stress or panicking, the adrenaline glands are producing an excessive amount of adrenaline which feeds to the brain. This alone puts us into the fight/flight mode.

Old 08-02-2004, 04:30 AM   #15
    Jordie

Jordie HB User

I had this dizzy feeling too - like walking on a boat, or when stepping feeling like the floor goes spongy. Also sometimes it was so bad that I felt like I was being pushed sideways. arghhh. it was the worst thing ever. I cried so much, and would just curl up on the floor in the feotal position sobbing. urghhh.
    Once I had my MRI on my brain I started feeling better. Also an osteopath helped me tremendously.

Here's what you need to do.
    1. Accept it's anxiety and nothing serious. Look how many on this board have it too.
    2. Try to let it happen and continue on with your life as best you can, keep busy.
    3. Go see an osteopath or a chiropractor. My neck was out so this can also put pressure on nerves. My chrio was convinced that was the cause, I know it was anxiety. It happened straight after I had a MAJOR panic attack in hospital after a knee reco. Was dizzy for 3 months straight. I still get dizzy sometimes but nowhere near as much.

Good luck - it will go away.

Closed Thread