It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Natural alternative to anxiety medication???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-25-2003, 05:38 PM   #1
    crazydays

crazydays HB User
    Post Natural alternative to anxiety medication???

I have been on buspar for 2 months and it has worked wonderfuly; however, I have not lost a single pound since starting it. I have lost 58 pounds in the last 1 1/2 year, and have about 22 more to lose. I eat sensibly and exercise aerobically and lift weights 5 -6 days a week, and had been loosing at a rate of about 1 1/2 pounds per week. I realize weight gain is not a side effect of buspar, but I have had this problem before with other meds. I haven't gained, but am not reaching my goal of losing more weight. ANy suggestions of natural alternatives to medication to deal with general anxiety, i.e. ruminating, obsessing, etc?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2003, 06:27 PM   #2
    Iss
    (male)

Iss HB User
    Before I was put on Paxil, I was using kava kava and sometimes St. Johns wort. If you want, try to experiment with them. Chamomile is supposed to be good to... You can find that in some teas. Good luck!!
    I hope you find something...you could also try the website allexperts.com and there is a health section.. go to that and click on hebs for health.. than you'll be able to email someone who knows a lot about herbs... im sure they can help you.

Old 04-26-2003, 02:35 PM   #3
    HeyThere
    Veteran

HeyThere HB User
    Homemade natural turkey has l-tryptophan in it it causes you to go to relax and go to sleep and while you are sleeping the l-tryptophan converts to natural serratonin. It is called amino acid therapy. Never use l-tryptophan from unnatural sources because it can be derived from the infamous poppy -opium. It is banned in the US from some manufactuer in the Orient because it did bad things to people. If I recall correctly you can get it from peanuts and sesame seeds but turkey is the best source if it is unprocessed.

Oh yeah, Liquid calcium magnessium D it comes in a big bottle you just take 2 tbs before bed. it has a calming affect - magnessium and - natural sunlight, sunflower seeds unsalted no msg.

[This message has been edited by HeyThere (edited 04-26-2003).]

Old 04-26-2003, 08:55 PM   #4
    isolated one
    Inactive

isolated one HB User
    Kat, is it possible the HALF TRUTHS you claim about Kava could very well have been spread by the pharmaceutical industry because they fear the popularity of the herb just may be a THREAT to their "business"? ....QUOTE: The plant is toxic to the liver..... Let's be fair and present the WHOLE picture. The reason Kava is now in the spotlight as a cause of liver damage is because such Kava users 1) combined it with prescription medicine and/or alcohol, 2) exceeded the recommended dosage or, 3) HAD UNKNOWN LIVER PROBLEMS before using Kava. Why not focus on the vast majority of Kava users who have had NO problems? Even more interesting is that the dosage of Kava used in the South Pacific for recreation is much more potent than the typical dose used here. Other than those who abuse Kava, why isn't liver damage a problem in that culture? Yes, I'll admit that Kava should be used with caution, as with any kind herb or med in the same class but when you compare it to the far greater amount of harm done by prescription drugs, it's not fair to even draw any comparison at all! As for St. John's Wort, it isn't "notorious" for causing skin sensitity but that is a side effect with some people. Other side effects (though rare) are stomach upset, nervousness, and mild fatigue. As for SJW reacting with some prescription medicines, that's true. It's been found that SJW speeds up the liver's metabolism of birth control pills and some other prescription medicines. Even so, you still can't even start to compare this to all the serious side effects and withdrawl symptoms that are so common with prescription antidepressants. Remember, the prescription drug business is just that, a "business" and a powerful "business". And just like any other kind of "business", they have the $$$$$ to spend in order to get YOUR "business".

[This message has been edited by gar fla (edited 04-26-2003).]

Old 04-26-2003, 11:45 PM   #5
    roselee

roselee HB User
    I thought I remembered that L tryphophan, used many years ago was very popular as a sleep aid...
    And some years after that many of the people using it developed a blood disorder...
    Any one remember that?

[This message has been edited by roselee (edited 04-27-2003).]

Old 04-27-2003, 08:51 AM   #6
    bride527
    Veteran
    (female)

bride527 HB User
    Has anyone heard of taking the amino acid L-theanine for anxiety. I posted on the Vitamin board but didn't get a reply. I am thinking of adding it to the list of things it take, Vitamins....Wonder if it can be taken with an occassional Xanax? is there a drug interaction with the two? thanx bride527

Old 04-27-2003, 08:58 AM   #7
    isolated one
    Inactive

isolated one HB User
    What's the 6th leading cause of death in the United States??? Adverse reactions to those "regulated" medicines. That would be the same number of deaths as one jumbo jet crash every day. This puts things in perspective....

[url="http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/9804/14/drug.reaction/"]http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/9804/14/drug.reaction/[/url]

Old 04-27-2003, 11:43 AM   #8
    Janik
    Senior Veteran

Janik HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by roselee:
    I thought I remembered that L tryphophan, used many years ago was very popular as a sleep aid...
    And some years after that many of the people using it developed a blood disorder...
    Any one remember that?
    I do remember. Apparently when you synthetize it in a lab some toxic by-products stay with the meds, and there was one brand of L-tryp that was banned from the market. I understand that if you isolate it from natural sources L-tryp is safe. But this does not fall under FDA jurisdiction so no one is controlling manufacturer's claims. That's why I'm so uneasy about taking it... but then after reading what gar fla wrote, you are also taking a risk with FDA approved medications, aren't you?

Old 04-27-2003, 02:44 PM   #9
    icedrop
    (female)

icedrop HB User
    Lightbulb

i like valerian root for anxiety. it works really well for me. it can be used as a sleep aid too, but i feel its best to use during the day to feel relaxed. i used it several times before presentations i had to make and felt it really kept me calm. i only use it for occasional anxiety though, since getting hooked/dependent on any supplement/drug is not a good idea. i have heard that valerian root is like valium, but natural. one minor warning though.. it stinks really bad, but works well so i think the bad outweighs the good.

Old 04-27-2003, 03:06 PM   #10
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User
    ["One of the big points made by the anti drug SSRI folks often site the reuptake inhibition factor as the wrong action that makes the ingestion of an SSRI objectional to a whole bunch of people who are anti "psychiatric" drugs.
    But the ironic thing is that St. Johns Wort has a similar action but more so..."]

That's why I am personally also against St.John's wort. But I would surely encourage someone to try it over a pharmaceutical! Phamaceutical psychoactive drugs are far stronger and more dangerous...hence the legality of the need for a prescription.

If they were as mild, they could be sold OTC like St. John's, Kava, etc. Imagine, going to the supermarket and finding Prozac Tea on the shelf next to the English Breakfast...haaaahhh.

Also, with the liver issue of Kava, people don't understand that presciption meds are very hard on the liver, perhaps more so!

But this is yet another overlooked side effect because sometimes liver disease develops slowly or luckily not severe enough for death risk, just merely causing yet more illnesses attributed to other factors, and no doctor in his right mind would ever admit to making a patient sicker with any drug he would prescribe. So alot of the stuff caused by meds ignored/denied in general by the medical community.

Old 04-27-2003, 03:11 PM   #11
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User
    Speaking of hallucienagens: I saw a documentary on the history of psychiatry....seems in the 60's they were quite excited to find that LSD had an interesting side effect of mood-lifting. The researcher they interviewed said this could help develop "future" psychiatric meds...the interview was early 70's...now, it really makes you wonder about the LSD (which works on serotonin, by the way) and the SSRI's. The future is here.

Old 04-27-2003, 08:14 PM   #12
    Janik
    Senior Veteran

Janik HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by icedrop:
    i like valerian root for anxiety. it works really well for me. it can be used as a sleep aid too... getting hooked/dependent on any supplement/drug is not a good idea...
    I used valerian root as a sleeping aid, until my doctor told me that prolonged used led to depression. I quit immediately and the only problem was getting the insomnia back.

Quote:
    Originally posted by kat721:
    To answer the thought about herbals being maybe as riskey as Pharmeceuticals...the world is full of peril... we need to understand the calculated risks.
    The problem is digging up the information in order to calculate the risk. If I had known about the side effects of some meds I wouldn't have taken them.

That's why I like these boards, you can get several opinions and then decide for yourself.

Old 04-27-2003, 10:56 PM   #13
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User
    Well, I really don't have a big opinion on tryptophan... but I think singling out any amino acid may be ok I guess, however, it reminds me that they recommend people don't single out B-vitamins, but rather take the B-complex. I guess I feel the same about aminos; eating whole foods or protein powders, supplements that contain all the essential aminos, not just one or two.

And valerian is really just a watered-down version of a benzo; benzos also cause depression. So I wouldn't take that either; however, some people do ok with it, so I dunno.

I am really not anti-pharmaceutical; just anti-drug(legal and illegal), or even some herbs which have basically a too strong psychoactive effect on the brain. This also includes alcohol and nicotine.

If fed well, the brain itself will provide the neurotransmitters we need...in fact, that's where neurotransmitters originally come from..protein synthesis...the proteins which contain essential aminos breakdown to also create the non-essential aminos; aminos in turn are used by the brain and body to create various chemicals, or neurotransmitters.

I have heard the most easily assumable proteins for the body and brain actually come from dairy first, then meat.

Old 04-28-2003, 09:46 AM   #14
    Janik
    Senior Veteran

Janik HB User
    FDA requires that a medication be tested for a period of four to six weeks on real patients. Anything that arises after six weeks of use cannot be predicted with FDA requirements. So that's why many FDA approved medications might produce complications when used for long periods of time.

But what about herbals and supplements? No trials, no tests, they go directly to the market. Word of mouth is your only reliable source of information regarding usefulness or side effects.

Of course, a lot of supplements have never caused side effects, and if a person wishes to be a guinea pig and finds they work fine, I guess it's OK.

Old 04-28-2003, 11:14 AM   #15
    Evanescence

Evanescence HB User
    Exclamation

Hi, I'm from the OCD board, and I recently found out that I'm pregnant, so I cannot take the SSRI drugs that I need. Problem is, my OCD is awful and ruining my relationship w/ my boyfriend, and I feel that there is nothing I can do to help it. HeyThere directed me here, where hopefully I can get recommendations for some natural, all-day relief herbs/techniques for reducing the OCD, or at least the anxiety that causes the compulsions? Please, I really really am interested in whatever you have to say. Keep in mind that this problem follows me all day, every day...just bedtime or once-in-a-while remedies aren't going to help me. Also, keep in mind that they must be safe for pregnancy. I'm so grateful for any suggestions!!!!!!

------------------
    "You have a boyfriend, and I have...a baby and a Ross!"--Rachel
    EDD 12/22/03

Closed Thread