It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Today it's rabies...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-09-2003, 08:36 PM   #1
    jimbrown

Post Today it's rabies...

Today it's rabies. Yesterday and a few days prior to that, it was HIV/AIDS. Shortly before that I obscessed that I had cancer. It's a vicious cycle that never ends.

I have suffered from OCD, GAD, Panic and Hypochondria for over 10 years now and I am constantly stressing over my health. I get these bouts where I feel ill or have some symptoms (maybe imagined or real). Then I spend a lot of time on the internet looking up symptoms and the next thing you know, I am in the ER or my local clinic every other day scared out of my wits.

This time around, I had a tooth extracted, had a UTI, took antibiotics for over a month and visited the ER once and my local clinic about a dozen times. In the last 4 days I've come down with a very sore throat so I'm thinking maybe I got HIV at the dentist's office but then I start thinking about throat cancer and recently I'm obscessing over rabies, etc. Gosh, it's driving me nuts!!. I've also got swollen neck and ear nodes and I rarely ever get sick so this has me pretty freaked out.

Help me please!!!! )-:

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2003, 10:17 AM   #2
    nickey69

nickey69 HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by jimbrown:
    I have suffered from OCD, GAD, Panic and Hypochondria for over 10 years now and I am constantly stressing over my health. I get these bouts where I feel ill or have some symptoms (maybe imagined or real). Then I spend a lot of time on the internet looking up symptoms and the next thing you know, I am in the ER or my local clinic every other day scared out of my wits.

This time around, I had a tooth extracted, had a UTI, took antibiotics for over a month and visited the ER once and my local clinic about a dozen times. In the last 4 days I've come down with a very sore throat so I'm thinking maybe I got HIV at the dentist's office but then I start thinking about throat cancer and recently I'm obscessing over rabies, etc. Gosh, it's driving me nuts!!. I've also got swollen neck and ear nodes and I rarely ever get sick so this has me pretty freaked out.

Help me please!!!! )-:
    With anxiety and OCD, we are are own worst enemy. One of the absolute WORST things you can do if you have anxiety/OCD about your health is this:

"spend a lot of time on the internet looking up symptoms".

DO NOT continue to do that! The internet is a great tool for many things, but it is a hypochondriacs DREAM COME TRUE and also a NIGHTMARE. IF all you are looking for is symptoms to find, that is all you are going to find with yourself-I'm sure you know this. If you look for solutions, you may actually find something that works for you.

Are you talking to someone about this? If not, maybe it would be a good idea. It sure can help, I went through this a while back, and while I still fret over little things sometimes, I am no longer scouring the internet trying to do diagnose in 20 minutes what doctors go to school for 8+ years to diagnose.

Also, I find putting literal price on the ER visits, Doctors, etc. can have a positive impact too. Its just too damn expensive to continue to do it.

If you want a humourus look at this stuff, go rent "Checking out" with JEff Daniels. IT is EXACTLY about what you are describing to a TEE. You can see the trailer for it on the MGM home video website.

GOOD LUCK, KEEP working on it

[This message has been edited by nickey69 (edited 05-10-2003).]

Old 05-10-2003, 10:23 AM   #3
    Janik
    Senior Veteran

Janik HB User
    What type of treatment are you getting? You obviously need to discuss these things with a counselor/therapist. At least you are well aware that you might not have these diseases, you are just constantly thinking about them.

Try talking to a professional. If you are already with one and he's not helping, get another one.

Old 05-18-2003, 08:00 PM   #4
    Healingmylife
    Inactive

Healingmylife HB User
    Rabbies? Well, that's one I haven't had yet. I thought I'd had pretty much everything already. Agree 100% about getting meds (or changing) need therapy. Therapy is good for everyone anixety or not. Find a hobby. Something you can do to take your mind off of things when it gets real bad, like this. What would make you think you have rabies? Been bitten by a dog or wild animal lately? If not, I'd cross that one of the list. I know it's sad I have a list!
    Good Luck!
    Healy

Old 05-18-2003, 11:48 PM   #5
    LindaG
    Inactive

LindaG HB User
    Hi Jim, You know, as helpful as the internet has been for us with message boards like this, it's also fed our worry-demons because every time we have a twinge of pain we find at least five different life-threatening illnesses that could be causing it with all of our medical searches. But I've never actually had any of the horrible diseases I was convinced I had after reading about them! I'm embarrassed to admit this, but sometimes I wonder if I actually WANT to have a medical problem instead of just being so worried about having one. I have only recently realized that when I was growing up (and even now) the only time my mother ever gave me any attention was if I was sick. And I'm wondering if there's some looking-for-attention/love issue driving my medical worries. Who knows, I'm just kind of throwing that out there to see what you think. The next time we find ourselves convinced we have this or that, let's just talk ourselves through it. For instance, if we just know that our being tired is caused by the rapidly growing malignant tumor in us, then we will simply take care of it. Go to a doctor, have the tests, surgery to remove it, chemo and radiation. Done. If it comes back, we'll just pick ourselves up and do it again. Whatever illness we might think we have we just walk through the steps of what would we have to do to take care of it and be well again. I've really found comfort in many different areas of my worries by simply asking myself what's the worst that could happen, and then what would I have to do to fix it? Then I'm mentally prepared to take care of whatever might happen. When I look at things reasonably, calmly and use simple logic it really does help put things into perspective. Sorry this is so long but I'm also guilty of self-diagnosing myself and this line of reasoning has helped me. A couple of weeks ago I read a quote that said something along the lines of "A doctor who diagnoses himself has a fool for a patient." Ouch! But we aren't fools, right?! Just simply prepared to face and take on whatever illness may befall us. :-) Best of luck to you! If you have any thoughts on my mom-theory let me know. I'm wondering if there are underlying issues like that driving our anxiety.

Old 05-22-2003, 10:58 PM   #6
    vanilla fudge

vanilla fudge HB User
    yes, very insightful information lindag. it seems that most anxiety-types suffer from a less than perfect childhood. you may have hit the nail on the head with that one. i like that what's the worst that could happen strategy. good message!

Old 05-31-2003, 09:28 PM   #7
    Healingmylife
    Inactive

Healingmylife HB User
    I too agree about the Mom theroy. I always say if we could heal our damaged emotions we could heal our anixety, Hince therapy. But, therpy is not the only way. Sometimes Forgivness and acceptance is the best road to follow.
    Healy

Old 05-31-2003, 10:03 PM   #8
    14allall41
    Inactive

14allall41 HB User
    Cool

If I want to have a pain in my left toe, I can have a pain in my left toe. If I want to feel only my left toe nail and nothing else, I can. If I want to have the symptoms of a desease I can. When I was 47 I set the record on a treadmill that testers said they had never seen before, running up to the full speed for 24 minutes an never getting my heart rate to the 150 beats they were wanting. What I am saying is that just like you can have pain and symptoms you can also control pain, heart rate, breathing, etc. The answer for me, and I did have your problem at one time, was I finally got an "I don't care attitude". The thing is, I had to get that about the symptoms and fears, not about everything else in my life. You will probably never get anything like the things you fear and should not give a hoot so you can enjoy yourself. I am going to honest with you. I can not be cured of what I have. I do not know my destiny, but if I only have a short time left, I am not going to spend it worrying about what the desease is doing to me or if this is my last post. Live your life and let destiny handle the rest. Take care and I hope you can get past this fear. A Friend

Closed Thread