It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• SSRI's and brain damage??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-01-2003, 10:54 AM   #31
    14allall41
    Inactive

14allall41 HB User
    Cool

I hate to start being critical but when people start suggesting drugs that they are not fimiliar with by having been on them for years then this could get dangerous. I am all for as many of you as posssible to become drug free but lets face it, most of the posts show a lot more condition and fear then drug interactions. If you want to damage yourself permenately then keep quiting drugs cold turkey on your own by listening to others instead of doing it with professional help and learning about the halflifes, etc. of your drugs themselves. Take 10 times the the longest time, be it your Doctors or your opinion. You have to be able to tell if it is condition or withdrawal. Most of you from your posts have condition and justifiable fears because it is something that is not going to go away but it can be made better and very manageable. Questioning your Doctor or drug is one thing but continuously questing condition will never give you peace. Serzone is nothing like paxil or prozac, etc. It does work for anxiety and depression but interacts with drugs like xanax. It increases the intensity of these type of drugs, so if you go off of it to fast, you can be putting yourself at a high risk of injury. As far as seritonin it controls the animal in us all. For some an increase is definately needed. The military did a test during the Nam War where they tested the seritonin levels of 100 soldiers that enjoyed killing and 100 soldiers that did their duty but did not. They then tested 100 killers in prison and 100 inmates that did crimes that were not violent. All of the natural born killers of both tests had lower seritonin levels. Raising this level works to calm a person and their anxieties but also must be controled to the right level because to much seritonin will cause problems also. I believe most of the time people end up on to high a dose because instead of excepting their condition and trying to deal with eliminating the fear, they keep going back to the doctor freaking out and eventually get their dose upped which causes more panic because they never give their body time to adjust to any one dose. As far as the Europeans and Canadians writtings, gererally they are the ones that have tested the drugs and administered them for the longest time before we get the use of them. The problems is the interactions and side effects don't seem to get into Our Doctors hands fast enough. No Doctor has the time to be an expert on every drug. It is up to you to become the expert on the one or ones that you take. Don't fear learning about your drugs or condition, it is important that you know side effects from condition. Don't believe anyone book written by one Doctor or a Foundation for that matter unless it is backed by several other writtings and hopefullly someone with the condition itself. Everyone is different and you deserve to be diagnosised as such. Only you can control this by learning all you can. No depression, anxiety or panic attack symptoms have ever killed anyone but if you want to become disabled go off a drug to fast like I did a couple of years ago because I failed to learn about the drugs I was on. Not trying to scare anyone, I just would not worry myself with brain cells instead of getting a handle on your condition. You have enough to deal with just doing that. Lose the Fear and you will find the answer. I have symptoms all day and night. I deal with it and not by adding or upping my drugs. I have found Therapy (talking) to be more powerful then any drug. Not trying to offend anyone but I don't want anyone to get hurt by making hasty decisions. We are all ill and can probably never be the same person we were but I don't see why we can't strive to be a better one. Peace to you all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2003, 01:58 PM   #32
    Just-A-Boy
    Veteran
    (male)

Just-A-Boy HB User
    Exclamation

I believe sometimes people try to come up with excuses, drugs like Prozac, are good for them, because they are scared, because of what they been hearing about long term side effects...

Thats my belief...

[This message has been edited by Just-A-Boy (edited 06-02-2003).]

Closed Thread