It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Suffering from Anxiety for years

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-11-2003, 06:50 PM   #1
    HeartOfGold2

HeartOfGold2 HB User
    Post Suffering from Anxiety for years

I have been suffering from anxiety and panic disorder for about 8 years. In the past I took Paxil and Ativan and currently Im taking Lexapro and Xanax. The Lexapro has controlled my panic attacks and the Xanax helps when I feel like I just can't take it anymore. I still feel that Im very anxious most of the time but I get by. I have suffered for years with the feeling that something is wrong with me medically, something more than anxiety. I went through a period of time where I was spending a lot of time in the ER getting heart tests and lab tests run. Everything has come back normal and they call it anxiety. Deep down I still feel there is something wrong with me, but I have convinced myself to just live with it and try to believe its just stress and anxiety causing these things...including heart palpitations and arrhythmias, sweating, trouble sleeping, fatigue and tons more. I am wondering if anyone has those same symptoms. Id like to hear about your experiences.

Thanks

------------------
    Stacie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2003, 08:52 PM   #2
    billy7772
    Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User
    Stacie-

It's your thoughts that are getting you down. My problems mirrored what you describe and I was convinced I was gonna be on meds the rest of my life. I am happy to report I am drug free and feeling the best I have ever felt in my life. Anyone who has seen my posts here knows I'm a big supporter of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) I suffered for years and was on meds but once I found CBT my life changed in a matter of weeks and was off meds nad have never looked back. It's all based on getting your thoughts down on paper and finding any errors (There are 10 common thinking errors people make)in your thoughts. Once you find them they are easy to refute and you feel more positive almost instantly. Pick up a copy of "Been there Done that Do This" to get a good overview of CBT from a guy who suffered before he found it. I think it would help you a great deal... Good Luck.

Billy

Old 10-12-2003, 04:14 PM   #3
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
    agree that CBT,and relaxation is usually needed along with the meds, ask about upping hte lexapro dose, what do you take now?

Old 10-14-2003, 12:03 PM   #4
    billy7772
    Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User
    That's good advice from hry33.... Follow it

Old 10-14-2003, 05:31 PM   #5
    Krystina661
    (female)

Krystina661 HB User
    I've suffered from anxiety for about 5 years. I'm only 21, but I'm always worried about my health, even though I'm hardly ever sick, nothing seems to be wrong with me, and I'm in good shape. My anxiety seems to come and go though. For months I'll be fine, and not think much about it, then all of a sudden I will have a panic attack where I get all worried that something is wrong with my heart, or that I'll end up going into cardiac arrest. From there it takes me some time to feel "normal" again. Sounds crazy, but for the most part, I think my biggest fear is of death, and that I have so much I want to achieve in my life, that I'm terrified if it were to be over anytime soon. It does make me feel better to know I'm not alone, or the only person that has similar feelings. I just try and tell myself, that I should live each day the best I can, and when I have those feelings, I tell myself everything is fine with me, and why worry? What will happen will happen, so why live in fear.

Old 10-15-2003, 07:08 PM   #6
    billy7772
    Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User
    Krystina-

First of all welcome to the board. When I was a child I was convinced I would never live to be 16 years old. I'm an adult now and thanks to CBT have my life back and I am happier than I've ever been. The tools of CBT teach you how to not live in fear and enjoy each moment. You may want to look into it further. Also the NY Times ran an article in September on Hypochondria and called CBT the cure for it. Take care.

Billy

Old 10-18-2003, 01:52 AM   #7
    Yoggi Bear

Yoggi Bear HB User
    Dear Billy,

I tried to find a copy of the book you recommended
    'Been there Done that Do This', but havent been able to find it. Please could you summarise the 10 mistakes in thinking that peopl,e make. (Hope you get to see this post, as I dont know if there is a way of drawing it to your attention.

Thanks for your help.

Old 10-18-2003, 10:07 AM   #8
    Forrester
    Inactive

Forrester HB User
    I have been suffering from generalized anxiety for years with depression. For a while, I thought I had AIDS, I read everything about it, then I was so relieved when I tested negative. I worry about everything. I recently had an episode where I became constantly anxious and tensed up, twitching, pacing, thoughts racing, sweating, couldn't even shower or eat or go out of my house. I felt the anxiety take over my body physically. I was so scared. I didn't go to the hospital because I dont' have health insurance. I talked to my dr instead and she prescribed Klonopin which worked but i know i can't be on it forever. I also restarted paxil again 5 days ago. and I'm going to therapy ,starting again this monday. Maybe I will ask them what type of therapy they're doing on me and request they do cognitive behavioral therapy. that's the most common type used now isn't it? I know how you feel about having long term anxiety for years. you are not alone. we are not alone.

Old 10-18-2003, 01:51 PM   #9
    Inactive

ilaugh@myself.why HB User
    hello fellow mainer..

i've had panic disorder, anxiety, depression for three years.. along with exercise induced asthma and chronic hyperventilation..

i realize that a big step is gonna be required.. and i've been preparing myself for a half a year to take it.. i need to!

i need to get a job (difficult where i am in the state) and i need to move and go to college! so this disorder make it seem nearly impossible y'know?!

my symptoms range from anything that's excessively uncomfortable, to literally feeling like i'm die'ing.. trouble breathing, extremely fast and abnormal heartbeat, extreme fatigue, nausea, cold sweats, chills, hot flashes, heartburn, tingling and numbness in my limbs, tremors, blurry vision, feelings of unreality, hopelessness.. it goes on!

i'm summoning the last of myself to take a real big step sometime in the future.. not distant future.. within the next few months to a year..

i'm gonna say screw the disorder, no matter how i feel i've gotta try b4 i can give up like this.. i'm gonna move and go to college and get a job and live life!

-Ryan

Old 10-19-2003, 02:17 AM   #10
    zavey

zavey HB User
    i'm currently on 4mg xanax (more if needed for attacks) and 100mg prozac a day. since i've had these doses increased, i rarely get anxiety attacks. when i do get an attack, i need 2mg xanax for it. i've been on the klonopin and ativan and neither did a thing for me.

Closed Thread