It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Derealization-does it always come with depression and anxiety?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-28-2003, 01:50 AM   #1
    Nuncy

Nuncy HB User
    Post Derealization-does it always come with depression and anxiety?

I was wondering if anyone else is feeling this derealization, a feeling of isolation like everything around you is like in a movie?
    I've read that it's a common symptom of excesive anxiety, but due to my depression I'm very sceptic about everything.

I've been torchuring myself with this information over the internet. Sometimes I wonder did I get myself this symptoms with reading about them, but then I hardly believe that I would be this insecure if I was fine in the first place.
    However, I've read about derealization/depersonalisation disorder and it seems that people with that have it for years if not half of the lifetime. It made me very anxious and scared that it may stay like this forever.
    I'm very sceptic about everything and there are few things that can give me some comfort.
    I believe it's depression or maybe anxiety that stops me from seing some hope or finding relief.
    Does anybody feel or have felt this way?
    Is it anxiety and depression talking or am I feeling this hopeless and sceptic because of something else?
    I'm not on antidepressant medication, besides natural remedies so I don't think it's the medication effect. anyway, I've head this feeling since it all started about five months ago. Besides that I feel fine, except for the exhaustion. This is the only thing I'm really worried about. With other problems I can "make peace", but when I think about this it's making me very anxious.
    Is this excesive doubt and scepticism also a depression talking? Is derealization connected to tiredness? I managed to regulate sleep comparing to terrible insomnia I have had before, but I'm dreaming all the time and feel exhausted.
    Is this derealization here because when we worry and think about something so intesivly we exclude ourselves from the real and outside world?
    Is it too much to function and think soooo much about bad things and sense? Is this why the answer is in relaxing and not thinking? There are so many things on my mind that sometimes I think my head will explode.
    What about derealization disorder? It seems it's not connected to anxiety?

Sorry for the long post but it's so hard to explain what I feel.
    Best wishes,

N.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2003, 06:54 AM   #2
    khorne

khorne HB User
    I have d/p too, at least that's what I think it is. I've had it off & on for almost 5 yrs. & some days I was convinced that I was dying. I've been tested enough for other possibble illnesses now that I should just accept what the DRs tell me,(anxiety disorder) but I have a hard time believing them b/c I feel soooo out of touch & totally weird when it's happening to me. It's really hard to explain it to someone who's never had it. When it happens it feels like my life is being ruined, it would make anybody depressed! My neuro wants me to see a therapist & take drugs for it. I've been totally against drugs in the past b/c of some bad experiences with Paxil, but I may give it another shot b/c I'm so sick & tired of it. I also tried natural remedies, but they just took the edge off. Now that I've been diagnosed with a heart problem, on top of everything else, I stay away from most of those too.
    I'm not sure what the answer is, I wish I could be of more help! But you are definitly not alone, and I don't know about you, but I find some small comfort in that. I wish you luck! K.

Old 10-28-2003, 12:02 PM   #3
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
    DEREALISATION USUALLY IS CAUSED BY ANXIETY, RELAXATION AND STRESS REDUCTION WILL REDUCE THE DEREALISATION

Old 10-29-2003, 12:02 AM   #4
    Nuncy

Nuncy HB User
    I don't know anymore what caused this weird feeling, but it occured after an episode of bad insomnia. I went to see psych and she told me these are all depression symptoms.
    She even draw me a cycle: panic attacks, anxiety, insomnia, social disfunction, lack of concentracion...
    I had it all. I just don't know what to believe anymore. I doubt everyone and everything, including myself and that is far the worst part.
    I just hope that it will go away once the depression lifts. I should get a job and start living like I'm supposed to and I just can't imagine now being among people I don't know. It's just too much especially since the lack of motivation.
    The problem here is also that I can't find psych with qualities I think one needs. The one I went to told me on my first meeting that most people want to start with just talking session but that she thinks it's just a delay of agony.
    I don't want to see someone like that again. Someone who will discourage me on our first meeting. I believe a lot of it can be solved with talk therapy, especially with someone flexible.

Thanks again for answering. I wish you all good luck.

Closed Thread