It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arachnoiditis Message Board

• Opana ER and severe side effects

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 10-30-2015, 11:23 PM   #1
    DWM241
    (male)

DWM241 HB User
    Opana ER and severe side effects

I was on Oxycontin for 9 years without so much as a hiccup for a side effect. Best pain killer I have ever taken. Not only did it eliminate my nagging back pain from degenerative arthritis, but it also cured my refractory depression. For those of you who aren't familiar with the word refractory it means you do not respond to any type of medication for depression. Those were the best nine years of my life. Then the health company's prescription plan made it impossible for me to continue by throwing up road blocks such as Pre Auth's, that became harder and harder. Formulary changes that they made up as they went along. I would jump one hurtle and they would throw up another. Finally I was running out of meds real fast and they couldn't care less if I was going to crash and go through severe withdrawal. My Family Dr saved me at the last minute by giving me just enough Methadone to keep me comfortable.

I was taking 180 mg of Oxycontin daily for the last six years with a total of taking the drug for nine years. I was so ****** at the Insurance company. So I was off of Oxy for 6 weeks. Then I had switched pain clinics and they had filed an appeal on my behalf for 40mg oxycontin 3x a day. A slight reduction in dose as I had been taking 60mg 3x a day. To my utter surprise the appeal went through and I was back on Oxy's. Now I had to wein myself off of methadone. I worked my way down to 1/2 tablet of 10mg (5mg) a day. Finally I thought I was ready and Oct 1 was my first day without Methadone. It was a horrible withdrawal that lasted a month to get it completely out of my body.

At this point I believe I had set a Guiness book world record for going through withdrawal 3 times in under 3 months. Worst three months of my life. Next month my PM DR wants to bring me back up to full strength at 60mg 3x a day of oxycontin. So off to the pharmacy I go and you know it, they want another freakin Pre Auth. So because it was a Friday and the Pain clinic shuts down at 12:00 noon, I am now without Oxy's for the weekend. So here comes the withdrawal again...Ugggggh. The Pre Auth for 60mg was rejected. Monday morning I was back at the clinic to pick up a script of 40mg Oxycontin which I still had a good Pre Auth. They continued the fight filing an appeal. Mean while I called the Insurance company only to find out now they had some new formulary rule that said you have to try at least 3 out of 4 pain relievers they listed. One I never even heard of. The hand writing was on the wall. They simply didn't want to write Oxycontin any more because of the cost. My one prescription of 90 60'smg cost $1460 if you paid out of pocket with no insurance.

So the next time I saw my PM DR I gave up and said forget it, I am tired of beating my head against the wall with the insurance company. So I switched to Opana ER 30mg. Here's the crazy part. This prescription costs over $700. They have a generic called Oxymorphone which is a tier one drug and is a fraction of the cost. The insurance would not let me get the generic and insisted on name brand Opana ER.

I have been on Opana ER 30 2x a day with up to four 10mg fast acting Oxymorphones for break through pain for eight days. By the way conversion is 2 to 1 with Opana ER being the stronger of the two. One 30 Opana ER is equal to a 60mg Oxycontin.

My opinion of Opana ER is it absolutely sucks, it is the worst pain med I have ever taken. It is causing me shortness of breath and extremely severe anxiety. Just the anxiety on a scale of 1-10 is an 8.5. I can't sleep right at night, and with the anxiety I am ready to rip somebodies head off. I am afraid someone is going to set me off and I am not going to be able to stop my aggression. I did speed when I was young and this pill reminds me of the speed, certainly does not act like a pain killer. I know it works for others, but I am not so lucky. I finally hit my wall when the back pain returned at about a 6. That was the deal breaker. So I have put in a call to go back on Monday to pick up a different script for anything but Opana ER.

I was so Happy and pain free for nine years. Why did the insurance company have to take away the best Med I have ever taken and completely destroy my life? It really Blows.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2015, 01:10 PM   #2
    Moldova
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User
    Re: Opana ER and severe side effects

Hello,
    I am very sorry you go through such problems. I know what you are saying, had some experience also.
    I been on Oxy for 5 years, LA and BT. My very carrying PM suggested to give brain and nervous system a break and try Opana, which works differently. And if I don't like it or want to go back on Oxy, I can do it, but if I will manage at least a year without it - will be great.
    Took me 2 1/2 month to very slowly transfer from Oxy to Opana and yes, I suffered with withdrawals big time. I knew that the hardest drug to go off of it is Oxy and decided to just deal with it.
    At next app my PM suggested my doses are too low and increased it. Ideal, dose I was on still was stronger then doses of Oxy, although numbers of mg were higher with Oxy. Dr said if i still feel withdrawals or poor pain control, he will increase LA dose.

Everyone is different of course, so after increasing my doses, withdrawals gone, pain controlled better, lasts longer. Finally, after 2 month, i feel better on it. I was very determent for it to work.
    Only one side effect I experience is hot flashes 30 min after I take the pill. My mind is not foggy like with Oxy, less forgetful, not as sleepy as with Oxy.
    Overall, I am happy so far and like Opana.
    Btw, LA - brand name, BT - generic...

Hope this helps a little.

Moldova
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-01-2015, 07:06 PM   #3
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User
    Re: Opana ER and severe side effects

Hi DWM, I'm so sorry you have been through so very much. My heart goes out to you. I have had insurance company to refuse to pay for avinza but I was able to get a generic form of Morphine extended release capsule that is very similar and I have been fine. As I read your story I wondered if it may be possible that the reason that you couldn't get a generic version of Opana ER is because your Dr may have, even inadvertently trying to help, marked brand name required? I hope that when you return to your PM dr this time that you will have met the insurance company requirements you stated of at least trying 3 of the 4 listed suggested insurance formulary medicines and that you will be able to get the medicine that really helps you! Also, could there be any possibility that the prescription for 60 mg 3x a day of OxyContin exceeds the insurance company's formulary requirements because of the dosage and that the dosage of 40 mg 3 times a day falls within the formulary dosage guidelines and that's why it can be filled? The side effects that you are experiencing really sound so horrible and I so hope that your dr and the insurance company can agree and the OxyContin can be prescribed and filled for you again so that you no longer have to suffer the side effects and can feel well taking the medicine that works well to relieve your pain! Soon!

Reply Reply