It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arachnoiditis Message Board

• Cauda Equina

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-16-2007, 09:00 AM   #1
    Luedeenee
    (female)

Luedeenee HB User
    Cauda Equina

For anyone who has Cauda Equina, is it possible these are the symptoms you have?

1. You go many days without having bowel movement, and after a week and a heavy bloated feeling, you must take something and enemas are common to be able to pass anything. Diet is good. Oatmeal, fruits, etc.....

2. Sometimes the ability to have a bowel movement comes and goes. When it comes, when you try, you have burning down the back of your legs?

3. Gas for some reason still passes through, but no solids.

4. When things aren't moving, do you hear stomach churning, or does it stay quite?

5. When you urinate, does it take a long time to get the process going, and when it starts, is it very small stream and you have to keep trying to get it started again and again?

6. Do you leak urine at times in small amounts? Where I work, I thought it was sweat since my clothes stay wet. But since I have come home, my pants will get wet, and I am cool. I realize now it is urine.

I am trying to figure this out. I had a bad fall from a loading dock, falling off backwards with my foot caught in pallet. The doctor is not listening to me when I tell him of my symptoms. He never writes it down in his notes that I have said a word about it. I hope someone can give me some answers.
    Luedeenee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2007, 11:20 AM   #2
    ladybug8372
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybug8372 HB User
    Re: Cauda Equina

i mentioned my problems to my dr...he blew me off and said that it wasnt common to have "constipation" with ruptured discs. i had read about this Cauda Equina...and thought it sounded like me. i didnt remember the name of this...i just figured that if i mentioned my bowel problems, that he would say that it was common.....and i didnt remember the article that i had read, so i forgot to mention it to him.

i have had bad bouts of "constipation" since the end of june. cant seem to get my bowels straightened out. i have to "potty" daily....however...i cant go without the use of suppositories....and sometimes thats not enough....i have used stool softeners, helps sometimes...mineral oil....helps some, but not all the time....i have gone through more bottles of phillips milk of magnesia in the last few months than i have in my entire life. sometimes when i use the medications..."it" comes out normal looking.........sometimes like true constipation.....sometimes thin and short strips. i have increased my fiber tremendously....taking supplements as well.....nothing seems to be working. i also started eating the activia yogurt last week. i am trying my last resort of drinking water...something i HATE...but i know that my skin stays dry...so am hoping that my insides are dry too, and that thats all that it is.

its almost as though something is "blocking" it....i can feel "it" building up in the lower part of my belly. if i let it go for a day or so without using anything.....i then swell up like heck!! sometimes when having bm's i cant feel it comin out....i think only a touch has come out...look down in potty....and wow...didnt know i had used it that much!! sorry if TMI...but am wondering if this is the same thing happening to you??

sometimes when i have bm's....oh my..the pain in between my buttocks!!! feels like someone is taking a pair of pliers to my lower spine and squeezing like heck!!!

if all of this doesnt get me to "normal" by the time i see another neurosurgeon next month...i am going to bring up this "medical term" and see what he thinks about it. i have NEVER suffered this much with my bowels.

by the way....i have a ruptured disc at L-5....nerve has been displaced...not just pressed on.

Old 10-16-2007, 02:41 PM   #3
    carol632
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

carol632 HB User

Cauda Equina manifests itself by either an inability to urinate or pass your bowels, or the opposite...having no control over them. Early CES is a possibility since you are leaking urine.

I think a dr. who blows a patient off like that should be replaced. CES is nothing to play with and these symptoms need to be taken seriously and investigated. Sometimes simple nerve impingement can be the cause, but it's important to find out. I had a fusion in Feb. and since that time, my bladder gets extremely full before I even realize I have to go. Then sometimes, I have to strain to fully empty my bladder. I have spoken with my doctor and he says this isn't uncommon but to watch and be alert.

Please, both of you need to see someone who will take you seriously. CES is caused by the compression of nerve at the base of the spine.

Carol
    morphine pump

Old 10-17-2007, 02:11 AM   #4
    Chris54
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Chris54 HB User

I have urinary retention and sometimes leakage that I don't feel. I also have bowel retention where the stool has to be manually removed. If I do go, there is no feeling of the stool passing. Some doctors claim it is all opiate pain med related. I have been diagnosed with entrapped nerves in the lower lumbar for the urinary part and nerve damage that caused the diminished use of the sphincter muscle in the bowel by two different doctors. No particular nerve mentioned in either report. My surgeon swears that that this is not CES and no damage was done to any nerves during surgery. I had a double fusion in 2005 and awoke from the surgery with both symptoms. I also had saddle anesthesia after surgery. This according to some is also a sign of CES. My leg pain returned approximately 2 months after surgery. I need further surgery on entrapped nerves at L4, L5, and S1. CES is nothing to mess with. If you feel you are having symptoms go to the ER and have it checked out. Better to be wrong than sorry. The damage can be permanent. Hopefully this is not what is causing your symptoms.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:10 AM   #5
    ladybug8372
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybug8372 HB User

The dr that I saw was just for a second opinion. I mentioned my problems, and he said that it has nothing to do with the back. Thats its either due to inactivity, lack of fiber, medications, or not enough water. Inactivity...Im not as active as I used to be...but still move around. Fiber...I have increased my fiber intake..not only using Fiber Sure, but also eating Raisin Bran for awhile now. It used to be that if I got constipated, one to two days of Raisin Bran, Id be back on track. I am not taking any medications. I drink water here and there, definitely not enough...but I started yesterday drinking 60 ounces a day....so gonna give that a shot while waiting for my appt to be made with the neurosurgeon.

I cannot go to the ER with this situation, as this is a workmens comp case. As long as I stay on top of things and dont let myself get compacted....I think I will be ok til I get the appt with the dr. Nerve damage??? well...thats totally out of my control.....due to WC, I havent had a dr since June....up until the one I saw last week...which he isnt my dr....just for a second opinion and recommendations. so...more waiting for me to get a dr. So, theres nothing I can do. Im out of work and cannot afford to rack up bills that WC should be paying for, so my only option is to try to keep things as under control as I can. If things havent improved by the time I see the other dr, I am going to printout the info on CES and tell him that I believe that I have it.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:26 AM   #6
    sandim
    Inactive
    (female)

sandim HB User
    Smile Re: Cauda Equina

Quote:
    Originally Posted by carol632 View Post
    Cauda Equina manifests itself by either an inability to urinate or pass your bowels, or the opposite...having no control over them. Early CES is a possibility since you are leaking urine.

I think a dr. who blows a patient off like that should be replaced. CES is nothing to play with and these symptoms need to be taken seriously and investigated. Sometimes simple nerve impingement can be the cause, but it's important to find out. I had a fusion in Feb. and since that time, my bladder gets extremely full before I even realize I have to go. Then sometimes, I have to strain to fully empty my bladder. I have spoken with my doctor and he says this isn't uncommon but to watch and be alert.

Please, both of you need to see someone who will take you seriously. CES is caused by the compression of nerve at the base of the spine.

Carol
    ]

Carol,
    CES does not manifest in an inability to pass urine or a bowel movement. It manifests in a change in your bladder or bowel habits. It is one of the most improperly stated "facts" about CES that says that it is either one or the other. It is a change period.
    I have been suffering for almost two years now with what was an undiagnosed CES case post op.
    The criteria for CES is as follows:
    A change in bladder or bowel function. It may be retention or an inability to start, stop or continue a stream of urine. You may also have an inability to tell if the bladder is full or empty. Or it may present as a total loss of ability to hold your urine. Same goes for the bowel function. It may be constipation or fecal incontinence or an inability to finish a bowel movement.
    It is a change in the radicular distribution of pain that may be in one leg or both legs, accompanied by perianal numbness, genital numbness or in the saddle distribution (parts of your buttocks, genital areas and inside of thighs that would normally be in contact with a saddle).
    Loss of reflexes in the ankles or knees or both....
    Increasing loss of sensation -tingling or numbness( may be unilateral or bilateral), increase in pain levels
    Weakness in the legs.
    Increase in pain levels.
    Cauda Equina Syndrome is caused by compression of the nerves in the "horses tail" section of the lumbar spine. It is a surgical emergency. If you think that you are having signs of CES, get yourself into your doctor's office immediately for evaluation.

I hope this helps someone to avoid what I have been dealing with. I would hate to see someone else have to go through what I have.
    Sandi

Old 10-17-2007, 07:09 AM   #7
    Luedeenee
    (female)

Luedeenee HB User

Ladybug, I think you nailed your problem when you said, "WC." I cannot believe how patients are treated on WC. The doctors office call the Insurance carrier before they treat you, then if they say they will not cover the costs, then the doctors don't treat. I am sure they don't tell you that the IC says no, or they lose their contract.

Find a lawyer and a new doctor. That is absolutely crazy that they say it isn't CDS. Start the process today because it will take time for it to trickle down to the right doctor to treat you. I am going through the same thing myself.
    Luedeenee

Old 10-17-2007, 09:13 AM   #8
    ladybug8372
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybug8372 HB User

i already have an attorney. this last dr that i went to was for a second opinion. he will not be my treating surgeon. the surgeon that i am supposed to get an appt with has a very solid reputation in my area...so was pleased to hear thats who im getting. wc is crappy!!!! had they given me the proper treatment from day one of injury...i really dont think that things would have gotten as bad as they have. there has been several times in the last year that ive been without a dr....due to it being a referral, and having to wait on an appt. first two times that i was waiting on a referral appt, i was without a dr for 1 month each time..........this time...its been since june. i will be very lucky to have an appt with the neurosurgeon by early-mid november......since this other dr that i saw last week isnt a treating dr (he just does recommendations and bases his opinions on facts, not what wc wants him to tell them.......he has a back injury as well, so no longer does surgeries).................that will mean that im basically without a dr from june until????????????? wc is soooooooo messed up!

Old 11-28-2007, 11:52 AM   #9
    Beazy
    (female)

Beazy HB User
    Question Re: Cauda Equina

I am almost 28, recently diagnosed with Cauda Equina, its getting me really down. Orgasms were the one pleasure i felt i had in life. I'm not sure a life without orgasm will be fulfilling. Not to mention how alone i suddenly feel. Nobody understands that while i can walk almost normally, i have numbness of groin and my right leg and foot. The pain of sitting kills me. My genitals are sore and this is even with pain killers. I'm so depressed. Anyone out there been in this situation???

Old 11-28-2007, 12:06 PM   #10
    Moldova
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

I have nerve damage after my fusion surgery. I don't have control over my bowel or bladder.
    I have all of the symptoms Sandim wrote about, and this is all is symptoms of CES in complex.
    Often our PK causing horrible constipations but it has nothing to do with CES. And it's true that it's hard to control - seems nothing is helping.
    CES is much more than just constipations or retention. My friend has retention due to his prostate problem, but it's not CES.
    The best would be if you could go and check it with your Dr. who is familiar with this condition.

Last edited by Moldova; 11-28-2007 at 12:30 PM.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:36 PM   #11
    Chris54
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Chris54 HB User

Beazy, I know what you are going through. I have urinary retention and use a catheter. I have bowel retention and have to manually do evacuation. I retrograde back into my bladder. The brain thinks about orgasm, but it just doesn't work anymore. I had saddle anesthesia and these other things upon awakening from fusion surgery in 2005. They all stink, and being on w/c hasn't helped. They haven't done a thing for my pain or problems and continue to this day to stall on a surgery that could possibly help my situation. My doctor was court ordered and not in their group!! They would probably deny the pain pills if they could get away with it. Even the surgery had to be court ordered twice. It's probably my L4, L5, or S1 nerve causing these problems.

Old 11-28-2007, 03:56 PM   #12
    sandim
    Inactive
    (female)

sandim HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    I am almost 28, recently diagnosed with Cauda Equina, its getting me really down. Orgasms were the one pleasure i felt i had in life. I'm not sure a life without orgasm will be fulfilling. Not to mention how alone i suddenly feel. Nobody understands that while i can walk almost normally, i have numbness of groin and my right leg and foot. The pain of sitting kills me. My genitals are sore and this is even with pain killers. I'm so depressed. Anyone out there been in this situation???
    Beazy,
    Yes, I am there myself. Please do a search on the internet for cauda equina support groups. There is a really good one that you will find.
    I do so understand how you are feeling. There are many of us just like you.
    Sandi M

Old 11-28-2007, 03:59 PM   #13
    sandim
    Inactive
    (female)

sandim HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Moldova View Post
    I have nerve damage after my fusion surgery. I don't have control over my bowel or bladder.
    I have all of the symptoms Sandim wrote about, and this is all is symptoms of CES in complex.
    Often our PK causing horrible constipations but it has nothing to do with CES. And it's true that it's hard to control - seems nothing is helping.
    CES is much more than just constipations or retention. My friend has retention due to his prostate problem, but it's not CES.
    The best would be if you could go and check it with your Dr. who is familiar with this condition.
    Moldova,
    I'm glad that you didn't suffer from CES. Yes, you are right, the pain medications can cause terrible constipation, but it is the conglomeration of the symptoms and the accompanying nerve compression that are CES.
    A simple stool softener will help most people with medication induced constipation.
    It's not just the retention that becomes an issue with the bladder though, it is the lack of being able to tell that you are full or empty, and not being able to empty on your own, or loosing control over your bladder that makes CES what it is.
    Many men suffer from retention due to prostrate problems, but the two conditions are entirely different.
    Sandi

Old 11-28-2007, 05:24 PM   #14
    Chris54
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Chris54 HB User

About 10 months post-op I had a micro-wave on my prostrate to see if this was causing the problems. It wasn't. I tell everyone if you have to squeeze to urinate, see someone fast. It's not natural. If you are not emptying out completely you run the risk of kidney problems and infection. I usually don't know when I have to have bowel movement or when the bladder is full. Sometimes the saddle area and groin lets off a little, then it comes right back.

Old 11-29-2007, 03:46 AM   #15
    Beazy
    (female)

Beazy HB User
    Smile Re: Cauda Equina

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris54 View Post
    About 10 months post-op I had a micro-wave on my prostrate to see if this was causing the problems. It wasn't. I tell everyone if you have to squeeze to urinate, see someone fast. It's not natural. If you are not emptying out completely you run the risk of kidney problems and infection. I usually don't know when I have to have bowel movement or when the bladder is full. Sometimes the saddle area and groin lets off a little, then it comes right back.
    Chris i had a similar problem, at first i could not feel the pee, i could only hear it, and rapidly this turned into my having to squeeze out the urine. I'm now fully cathatorised and wear nappies, and I too have been told i will need to do manual evacuation for my bowels for the rest of my life. If it was just the bowels or bladder, you can learn to cope, but not knowing if i can have sex, if i will get any kind of sensation, or even whether or not i'll be able to have children is all very unsettling. CES sufferors sometimes get a prolapsed womb, i'm just hoping that has not happened. I am taking comfort that you guys are here talking about it, even if sitting at the pc hurts, lol. Its just an embarrassing topic to bring up with people. One day i'm walking along Manhattan exploring, a month later having a spinal op that has changed my life.

Last edited by Beazy; 11-29-2007 at 03:51 AM. Reason: Forgot to put in my response.

Closed Thread