It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arachnoiditis Message Board

• epidural vrs nerve burning

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-22-2008, 09:57 AM   #1
    ladybuggy02
    Inactive
    (female)

ladybuggy02 HB User
    epidural vrs nerve burning

i just had the epidural ....i just went to water pt i wouldn;t let her adjust my sacrum the epidural hasn.t had a chance to really work so she ended my app...i thought this was all about my comfort! i have a disabilty in my feet that cause my knees to curve in and my hips to be out of aign now that means my sacrum won't be in normal postion duh and thats all there focused on... any this lady isn;t the one i let adjust me thats my land pt some where else she knows him and is going to call him to be on the same page!wqhatever...wouldn't that nerve burning give me instant relief so i can strengthen normal living pain free??
    ladybuggy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2008, 04:37 AM   #2
    duttin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User
    Re: epidural vrs nerve burning

Ladybuggy,

a rhizotomy , may not be permanant fix,they usually last 6 months to two years.

with any surgery minor or not theres always risks.

if you do persue this avenue,ask the facility how the success record for this procedure is.

I have been offerred this option,but I'm not a 100% sure this is an options at this point.It would be great if it lasted longer.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:47 PM   #3
    ladybuggy02
    Inactive
    (female)

ladybuggy02 HB User

hi well yesterday afternoon i got in with my land pt he checks my back while laying down and my sacrum was not out of aliegnment!! i'm so glad i did not let that lady adjust it!!! any i'm feeling more preasure today in that area i did alot yesterday (my daughter was in more testing at the hospital that took 4 hours )plus i went to both my pts so concedering all i did i'm doing ok i'm in bed but able to type!

while i was at the hospital with my daughter i found out they have a pain managment and they do epidurals i was able to get in earlier so instead of june 17 for my next it will be june 9 and they sedate no prob. and in the mean time i'm going to ask the dr. about my options
    like the rhizotomy i guess they put the numbing stuff right at my min buldge and it took the pain right off my sacrum so i hopethey could just take that little nerve away while i stregthen the rest of my back?
    would that sound reasonable or is that a way bigger prosedure?
    my upper back hurts to but i'm hoping if i could move more it would strengthen and my vertabreas would stop flipping over...the constant pain feels like my sacrum but may be the nerve at ny min. buldge at L4/L5....
    ladybuggy
    ladybuggy

Last edited by ladybuggy02; 05-23-2008 at 12:59 PM.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:38 PM   #4
    lfoster21
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lfoster21 HB User
    Wink Re: epidural vrs nerve burning

Hey ladybug, I hope you start to feel a little better ea. day, from the epidural. I remember that the 1st 4 or so days, it felt like it wasn't getting better. Well, I guess the 4th day it felt better, but then I went out and ran errands and then I was having to stay put for the next few days. From the sound of your yesterday...I can only imagine that you would be in additional pain. Did your Dr. tell you to stay off your feet for a few days? I think I was told 3-5 days, but I was probably in pain for a few days longer than that.

If you have the RF, you absolutly will need the sedation. I had it done twice, because they did not explain the trial to me correctly. What happens is they will do a trial, using a numbing medicine. You should get a 70-100% relief for the next hr. or so, while you are still numb. Once that med. wears off, you will have the post-procedure pain, like you are having now. Then, when you go back for your f/u, you will be asked if in that 1st hr., you got any relief. If so, they will do the RF in the same area and you should get the same affect as you did in the trial.

When he explained the trial, I did not understand that the lanocane would only last for 1 hr. and I needed to take note of how I felt during that period. Then, what happened was 1st, the Dr. put a lot of lanocane in, during the test. So much so, that when I got out of the car, my foot was numb and I could not step on it. So, I was focusting on the weird heavy feeling foot. That then came back to normal w/i that hr. but the pain of the post procedure came on. When I went back, I did not know how to answer the quesion if I got relief, because I wasn't thinking about it immediately after the procedure. So, we did it a 2nd time and the Dr. was very clear that time around, focus on the relief that you get during the initial hr.

As for the procedure, getting to the nerve I was able to bear it, but it wasn't "easy". Then, once they get to the correct place, they will turn up the heat, a little at a time, and I was told that if it starts to hurt...to let him know and he would turn the heat down. However, the secret is the higher he can get it turned up, the more relief I'd get. With ea. round of "burning", they have to keep it on the nerve for aprx. a min., so I told him, when I started to feel pressure, and he would ask if I could bear with it or if he needed to turn it down. I found it helpful to ask him to let me know the amount of seconds left in the minute. That way, if I knew say there were just 5 second left, I'd grin and bear it. But if it was unbearable, I told him to turn it down.

Please let me know if you end up doing this procedure. I could work, you never know until you try, as it seems to be with most of these procedures, huh?

Good luck and I am thinking of you.

Lorie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by lfoster21; 05-23-2008 at 09:46 PM.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:27 AM   #5
    ladybuggy02
    Inactive
    (female)

ladybuggy02 HB User

thanks for the replies
    i'm still hopefull that this epidural still may work more..

.i spoke with my dr nurse she is really nice she said the nurve burning is up to the hospital who did the epidyral to see if i'm a canadite for it all call tuesday and ask. no they didn't tell me to take it easy they gave me no aftercare info. i asked and they said there was none...but i thought it would be a good idea to try and take it easy but the other day i had no chocie ...

did they use die in your epidural? they did mine
    ladybuggy

Last edited by ladybuggy02; 05-24-2008 at 10:44 AM. Reason: more info

Old 05-24-2008, 11:21 AM   #6
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

I know that you have had a lot of different injections and now epidurals. I do hope that you get some relief. I tried the steriod epidural injections and they provided me NO relief at all. I am thinking about trying the radio frequency ablation on the nerves in my feet. I don't know if it would work but it's about the last thing that could be tried. Please keep us posted if the epidural does help you.

brian

Old 05-24-2008, 06:18 PM   #7
    lfoster21
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lfoster21 HB User
    Wink Re: epidural vrs nerve burning

Hi Ladybug, I can't remember, is your Dr. a PM doctor? I ask, only because my RF was done at my Drs. office and not in a hospital. As for the dye, I honestly can not remember if that one had the dye. I am thinking that it did not. But I know with ea. epidural that I had, I was given post procedure info. and I know they gave me a note, to not go back to work for 3 days, and then I also had the weekend. So, I knew that I was suppose to not do much movement for thoe 5 days. I wish you had been given some info. before the you left the office. Anyway, I am still thinking of you.

Lorie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:54 AM   #8
    ladybuggy02
    Inactive
    (female)

ladybuggy02 HB User

hi well another trip to the er for my daughter ...still noanswers for her...i pray after these next set of tests we will know.

but the trip to the er about killed me but were they did the epi it was the least pain!!so i guess it is working cause my sacrum and nest toit never is pain free it wasn't completly but very close! it was my lower upper back that brought me totears so i've had progress! and my pain meds helped the pain i could actually sleep (a little extra xanax for spasms but today i'm sore nomore then "normal"
    ifoster - i just have my family dr. - then the anastioligest that (terriable spelling lol sorry) did the esi and thats it i guess the pain managment hospital i thought could do my next esi isn't covered by my ins. so i guess i will go to the same place

Juliet31
    hi, thanks for the info! i'm going to call on tuesday tofind out if i'm a good canadite for it !

brain33 - how many did you try??

ladybuggy

Old 05-25-2008, 08:21 PM   #9
    duttin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ladybug,

I have heard good results with the RHIZOTOMY, I am scheduled to have the

diagnostic test to see if the RHIZOTMY will work.The PM DR. stated what he

plans on using will last 4 hours and he wants me to evoke the pain to see if

will work.

I will be having several levels done on the right side and then the left.My PM

will only do the RHIZOTOMY once do to the number of nerves that are causing

so much pain.

I have adhesive arachnoiditis and multiple sclerosis so they need to use

caution on coarses of treatment.I'll take 2 years with less pain.

Keep us posted.

Old 05-26-2008, 02:43 PM   #10
    ladybuggy02
    Inactive
    (female)

ladybuggy02 HB User

duttin
    hi when are you haveing it done?
    ladybuggy

Old 05-26-2008, 07:33 PM   #11
    duttin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ladybug,

I have to call tomorrow to see when its schedules,this is for the diagnosis

process to see if I am a canidate for the RHYZOTOMY. It kinda scares me

that they are gonna do so many nerves at one time,depending on the results

they will do the left.If I am a canidate they will do the RHYZOTOMY bilaterally

all at once at the hospital under complete sedation.None of this half out of

it.

My PM DR. is wonderful !!!!!!

Old 05-27-2008, 10:46 AM   #12
    ladybuggy02
    Inactive
    (female)

ladybuggy02 HB User

duttin
    i hope it works for you it sounds like such a good thing!
    ladybuggy

Closed Thread